First Doctrines First

God works the “desire” and “ability” for “His good pleasure” within every believer (Phil 2:13), and the pleasure concerning His will for the believer is twofold: to draw close to Himself; and to be used of Him to draw others to the Lord Jesus, who are also in “The Book of Life.”

The status of drawing “close to God” (Jas 4:8), and being “witnesses” (Acts 1:8) to others, is always commensurate with the level at “which the Holy Ghost teaches” (1Cor 2:13) us concerning Biblical doctrine; and of all of the spiritual growth doctrines (teachings other than about receiving salvation) in Scripture, not a single teaching is more significant than that which is related to the eternal security of the believer.

Properly understanding to “know that you have eternal life” (1John 5:13) is obviously the pinnacle growth truth concerning Christ’s resurrection for the believer, because it is the basis upon which all spiritual growth truths rest. There would be no significant substance whatsoever to any growth truth if its workings were temporal, and to learn all Biblical truths within their intended meaning is to first learn to understand God’s omniscience.

When God saves a soul, would He not already know whether or not this would be permanent? His omniscience involves knowing all things, and He has known everything He knows—from eternity past. God give us to know of this concerning Himself, which gives great strength to faith, because it means that God already knows there is nothing one can think, feel, say or do which will interfere with His permanent claim on an individual.

One can try this or that, but my thoughts greatly fail me to contemplate that one can only try something that is not temporal. One cannot try salvation, as if its workings can be put off, any more than can one claim to have faith and eventually lose it. Universally, there are only two types of professions of faith (Heb 10:23); a false profession (Tit 1:16; Jam 2:20), and “a good profession” (1Tim 6:12). When a profession of faith has been made by an individual whose outward acting truly reveals otherwise, this is simply of the former claim, for the latter will be evidenced by its permanency (1John 2:19).

There are Scriptures which appear to support the concept of temporal salvation, but upon close observation and thorough research, not a single Biblical doctrine opposes the concept of permanent salvation, and let this article be an invitation to us to present Scripture that may appear to be contrary to the concept concerning the permanency of salvation, but be informed that my replies will consist of materials from Bible commentators (primarily John Gill of course, and I vehemently suggest trying this one first).

I’m aware that many Christians who desire to continue to read and study the Word of God do not use Biblical commentaries for reference, but I would like to challenge anyone who can find a commentator which presents material in opposition to this concept. Also, let it be known that those who may think they know more than a commentator are mistaken. God just shows one believer something another believer may not know, which explains the presence of various commentators, but their answers are all the same between them. It should also be known that replies made without using a commentator will more than likely result in insufficient correspondence if obtaining the truth of this issue is desired. God teach us His Word!

- NC

Back