First Question?

Hi! Just joined. :)

I had a question though...

What do you guys think about meditation? I have not really seen any positive responses to that question. I think that meditation is okay...but not okay if you are using it in a way that has any meaningfulness toward another religion. They say stuff about if you find your inner self or find a way too "enlightened thinking" that it is deceiving and a way to invite demons into your spirit..or something like that. Do you guys think this as well? Since we are Christians then why should we believe anything like this is even possible in the first place? Even if we did find a way to "elevated thinking" on accident, wouldn't we be okay if we still love God and Jesus and accept them as our savior? People always talk about meditation and such to be along the lines of blasphemy, do you guys think this as well? Is it a sin? Is it an unforgivable sin? Or is meditation okay and shouldn't even be an issue?

Well I think it is important to first draw a distinction. In the Bible, to meditate means to muse over, ponder, reiterate, even to sing. Another word for meditation has within it the root "hag" which is also found in the word to study. In the meditations of yoga and Hinduism there is a deeper purpose. The function is actually one of mental discipline (at least at first) and it involves emptying the mind. So they are quite different. One is active the other passive. One is to do something and the other is to become as nothing.

When I was s sin loving pagan, I must admit I found it quite useful for coming to calm, and learning to focus and control the thought life, but in time it crossed over into something else. The Pantajali Yoga Sutras introduces one to the Siddhi's (the super powers of the mind). Let me just say there is a reason most people only access about 10 to 20% of their brain power. When one learns to manifest their will (with an impure heart, which we all have) no matter how much you believe you are good and using this power for good, evil eventually comes of it. When certain "powers" (not supernatural at all, but potentials within each of us) begin to be easily accessed and seen to be effectual one begins to see the power as one's own....now couple with the philosophy of Brahm and maya, one eventually comes to the conclusion they are a god or at least a manifestation of the Divine. This is why we hear some call themselves the Divine Swami (place name here)...they see themselves as god. This my friend is a problem.

If one learns the deep relaxation exercise, I can see where this would benefit millions (in and of itself it is of no harm) or when one learns to say no to thoughts and turn the mind on other things with ease it is also quite beneficial and even Biblical...but that is about the extent...after this the places you go are unnecessary to say the least and quite dangerous spiritually to say more...

There is enough to do and that can be practised just in the word of God...for example, have you ever just sat and pondered long on some of God's precepts? Considering and studying ramifications and application and examining self in light of these? Imagine sitting for an hour ruminating over, considering, and declaring all the wonderfilled works of God...ever just pray with silence in between your speaking just to bask in His presence?

Any way I hope this has made a contribution..

In His love

Brother Paul

Wow, great response! It was very beneficial to read. And I think and ponder about god usually whenever I meditate. But, still though if one has achieved the power of higher thinking, are they damned forever? I know a few people who say they have achieved this, but in no way have I seen them representing Hinduism or Yoga or whatever. They are some of the strongest Christians I know! One is even Pastor at a church I attended as a child. Will they suffer because they have the ability for enlightened thought?

I've done some yoga in the past for fitness and relaxation in karate classes and using Wi Fit (did I spell it right?..). Your 'enlightenment' though, should come from Christian prayer, teaching and the Holy Bible. Meditate on the Holy Spirit.

Wow, great response! It was very beneficial to read. And I think and ponder about god usually whenever I meditate. But, still though if one has achieved the power of higher thinking, are they damned forever? I know a few people who say they have achieved this, but in no way have I seen them representing Hinduism or Yoga or whatever. They are some of the strongest Christians I know! One is even Pastor at a church I attended as a child. Will they suffer because they have the ability for enlightened thought?

Higher thinking? Enlightened thinking? See gbeechers response below yours...this is the way to enlightened thinking! What I was describing is unlocking abilities all humans share (just untapped) but some of the other effects are deceiving and leads one in their vanity to assume things not actually true. All you need is the word of God...

Like controlling your thought life....the Bible says be transformed by the renewing of your mind....Paul says to put off certain things (attitudes, desires, behaviors, etc.,)....or "...whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" or casting down imaginations...or girding up the loins of the mind..and so on

Have you practiced these yet? How about daily planting seed (sowing to the Spirit) and cultivating the fruit of the Spirit?

Brother Paul

'Meditate' (AKA: think/ ponder) on "The Word". No problems there.

right .. semantics ..

I endorse the term meditation if it employs contemplation of God's word ..
as well endorsing the term meditation if it employs learning to not be so anxious, as to bring about "stillness of heart" so you can hear God ..

I reject the term meditation if it employs methods that blank your mind as to become a receiver to any spiritual wind that blows ..

Lam 3:21 This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope.
Lam 3:22 The LORD’S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.
Lam 3:23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
Lam 3:24 “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I have hope in Him.”
Lam 3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.
Lam 3:26 It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the LORD.

Last edited:
Give yourself permission to think freely. It is how you act that is important, not the thoughts you allow yourself to have. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Explore, think anything and everything.

But always _be_ a good person.

Back