Floating Islands

Floating Islands

A simple but "splashy" dessert idea, Floating Islands is an old-fashioned delicacy with modern appeal. Although meringues are typically baked, poaching them in gently simmering water produces a fluffy, delicate treat that literally melts in your mouth.
Traditionally served with crème anglaise, or cream sauce, this version is much lighter, brighter, and fat free. The mini islands can be served with any fruit or sauce or even drizzled with caramel or chocolate sauce. For perfect fluffy meringue, be sure the mixing bowl is very clean and egg whites are at room temperature.
12 large strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup water
Zest of ½ lemon
4 large egg whites
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 drops almond extract
1. Coarsely chop 8 strawberries and set aside. Finely dice remaining berries and refrigerate until ready to serve. Put ½ cup sugar and water in small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, add chopped strawberries and lemon zest and cook until berries are very soft but not breaking apart, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool; strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer, discarding solids, and chill until ready to serve.
2. Bring a large, wide saucepan filled with water to a boil, then reduce heat until just bubbling. Line a sheet pan with plastic wrap and set aside. With an electric mixer, whip egg whites until frothy; add vanilla and almond extracts. With mixer running on high, slowly drizzle in remaining ¼ cup sugar and continue whipping until very firm and glossy. With a small ice cream scoop (about 1-inch diameter), drop scoops of meringue into water and poach, turning once, until whites puff, about 15-20 seconds. (Dip ice cream scoop in cool water to keep whites from sticking between each scoop). With a slotted spoon, transfer to lined sheet pan.
3. To serve, pour 2 tablespoons of sauce in center of chilled plate. Mound 2 tablespoons of diced berries in center and place 3 "islands" on pool of sauce.
Serves 6.
Note: Leftover meringues can be stored, covered in the refrigerator, up to 1 day.
vidstill_floatingislands.jpg

There are no chilies in this dish. I'm taking a break:smiley10:
Chili out

That looks good.

In the summer, I love those HUGE fresh strawberries with nothing on them, they taste sweet naturally.

( I only like chilies in chili!)

Back