Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, to be one of his followers, he (or she) must first of all deny (disallow; repudiate; forbid) himself, i.e. renounce his life of sin, selfishness, and following his own will and way for his life. He must take up his cross daily, i.e. he must daily die to sin and to living for self. And, he must follow Jesus, i.e. he must go where Jesus says to go, and he must do what Jesus says to do, i.e. he must obey him. If we truly understand this death to self and sin, it should revolutionize our concept of faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ and what it truly means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

This means that my life is no longer my own, for it was bought with a price, so I am to glorify God with my life by yielding my life to the cross of Christ, dying to not only sin but to my own selfish will, and by allowing the Holy Spirit within me to live the life of Christ out through me. “I” no longer live, i.e. am no longer the boss of my own life, but Christ in me is now boss (Lord) of my life, so I surrender to his will for my life.

Follow Him / An Original Work / February 21, 2013

Based off Luke 9:22-25

Jesus, Son of God,
Died for us on a cross.

Anyone who would come to Him
Must deny himself and follow.
He must take up his cross daily;
Die to sin and self each day.

Father, God above,
Loved us so: gave His Son.

If you want to save your old life;
Keep on sinning, follow your ways,