Following the Word or the Spirit.

In the OT God's word had the backing of the Holy Spirit.
People would follow the word and God would back them, sometimes with spectacular results.
Prophets would speak or write according to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
They would also predict a day when God would write his law in our hearts.

The night Jesus was born, the angels proclaimed the offering of grace to all flesh.
Some 30 yrs later Jesus proclaimed the coming of God's kingdom with many miracles confirming his every word.
In pentecost you now had many proclaiming the word backed by signs and wonders, all through the same Spirit.

So, do we choose one over the other or do we simply accept that the two are one?

In the OT God's word had the backing of the Holy Spirit. People would follow the word and God would back them, sometimes with spectacular results. Prophets would speak or write according to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. They would also predict a day when God would write his law in our hearts.

I would say they work in tandem. The Word without the Spirit is dead letter and the Spirit without His Word is mysticism.

Hello crossnote;

I agree. God's Word, the indwelt of the Holy Spirit and following Jesus work simultaneously. Here's an example;

My wife and I have been meeting with a young man and his wife, both 26 and newly weds. They lead a young adult Bible study online. He called me last night and shared with me that during their Bible study, a man he had been witnessing to for months joined the group and surrendered his life to Christ. This wasn't a "casual" accepting of Christ, as the couple explained fully in accepting Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior.

Another young couple witnessed this during the Bible study. The boyfriend is 19 and was saved 9 years ago. His girlfriend is 20 but not saved. Hopefully this inspired her.

Our friends who led the Bible study were overjoyed. We joined in the celebration and encouraged them to enjoy this blessing and follow up with the new Christian man immediately.

I was monitoring the CFS forums this morning and when I came across rdclmn72's thread the Holy Spirit prompted me to share this.

God bless you, crossnote, and your family.

In the OT God's word had the backing of the Holy Spirit.
People would follow the word and God would back them, sometimes with spectacular results.
Prophets would speak or write according to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
They would also predict a day when God would write his law in our hearts.

The night Jesus was born, the angels proclaimed the offering of grace to all flesh.
Some 30 yrs later Jesus proclaimed the coming of God's kingdom with many miracles confirming his every word.
In pentecost you now had many proclaiming the word backed by signs and wonders, all through the same Spirit.

So, do we choose one over the other or do we simply accept that the two are one?
Teamwork made the dream work!

Welcome!

Back