foot washing in Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
foot washing one of the many things Christians fail to grasp/

its NOT washing dirty feet. its symbolic of a servant attitude when Jesus took the towel and placed it around his waist . he wore a servants badge.

i am saying this if you never been in a anointed foot washing service. your missing something. yes i know i have heard all the arguments AGAINST foot washing.. to some at the very mention of it . its almost like the unpardonable sin . which it is not it can be a very wonderful experience. in the Bible days when you came into visit. the servant would wash your feet. Jesus left us a example to follow ,

in a foot washing service that the wife and i was in. the ladies in one room the men in another. one the women washed her daughters feet. then dried them and kissed them.. ( you say gross) i say it was of God another lady saw this.. shared when her daughter passed away . .just before being called out of this world. she sat up in Bed saying Jesus loves me this i KNOW.

when the Holy spirit is in it its a wondaful time. much like communion do i need to do this to remember what Christ done for me? NO but it is instructed .

might i add just because paul and the others did not follow up with foot washing. does mot mean we should exclude it. .

just my 2 cents and yes i realize there are denominations that feel no need to do it. try it you might like it

john 12:
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; (ye also ought to wash one another's feet. )*

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord;*** neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

I like having pedicures, tho sadly not many churches seem to do it.
I once donated a foot spa to a church that had a pamper day, they would do it every year. I think I prefer the pamper days to the potlucks. I am on my feet a lot at work and often don't have time to eat my lunch, let alone enough time to make it. So asking me to bring a dish that's edible is a big ask lol

I have ta en part in foot washing many times, quite some years ago.
Jesus said in JOHN 13:15
"For I have given you an example , that you should do as I have done to you."
It is an act of humility and love.
Blessings forgiven61 thank you for the reminder.

I have ta en part in foot washing many times, quite some years ago.
Jesus said in JOHN 13:15
"For I have given you an example , that you should do as I have done to you."
It is an act of humility and love.
Blessings forgiven61 thank you for the reminder.
good Lord willing we are having one the 16th .it is a practice that has been forgot

For a short while I was attending a Freewill Baptist church (they include foot washing, regarding it as a sacrament).

They seemed to take a great deal of pride in doing so and pronounced mild derision on denominations that don't.

I eventually turned to another church (not for that reason).

My thoughts are that having a regular event that emphasises the each of us should be servants of each other is a good thing, but when it becomes a point of dividing between "us" and "them", it's effect runs counter to its purpose.

For a short while I was attending a Freewill Baptist church (they include foot washing, regarding it as a sacrament).

They seemed to take a great deal of pride in doing so and pronounced mild derision on denominations that don't.

I eventually turned to another church (not for that reason).

My thoughts are that having a regular event that emphasises the each of us should be servants of each other is a good thing, but when it becomes a point of dividing between "us" and "them", it's effect runs counter to its purpose.
That is sad. But they need to put a stop to the derision not the foot vwashing.
Blessings Siloam

A sacrament?. Usually sacraments have a promise attached to them. I don't know of any promise attached to foot washing.
Don't Baptists call them 'ordinances'?

Churches might have hand sanitisers at the door but I never saw a foot sanitiser, and most churches people wear their (dirty) shoes inside.

In Asian culture we wouldn't do that in someone's home. Always take our shoes off. In a home you meant to relax and wear slippers. I'm not sure what Middle Eastern cultures did but I think it might be the same.

In NZ if you lived on a farm or were a farmer no way would you be allowed to track your muddy boots inside. And on Maori culture in their marae (meeting house) you ALWAYS went in barefoot. Well in the olden days they never wore shoes anyway.

Churches might have hand sanitisers at the door but I never saw a foot sanitiser, and most churches people wear their (dirty) shoes inside.

In Asian culture we wouldn't do that in someone's home. Always take our shoes off. In a home you meant to relax and wear slippers. I'm not sure what Middle Eastern cultures did but I think it might be the same.

In NZ if you lived on a farm or were a farmer no way would you be allowed to track your muddy boots inside. And on Maori culture in their marae (meeting house) you ALWAYS went in barefoot. Well in the olden days they never wore shoes anyway.
My wife stands at the door and makes sure no one enters with đź‘ đź‘ź lol.

God told Moses to remove his shoes as he was standing on holy ground on Mt Sinai.
Apparently the ground was made of sapphires.
In heaven, we may not be wearing shoes as the floor will be so clean and made of crystals and gems.

A sacrament?. Usually sacraments have a promise attached to them. I don't know of any promise attached to foot washing.
Don't Baptists call them 'ordinances'?
what promises are in baptism? its does not save us.. freewill baptist holds it inline with communion . see thats the problem its NOT a baptist thing. its Bible

My church is part of the Church of God denomination. We do feet washing once every quarter of the year. Out of 40 to 60 people on a given Sunday, only about 10 people participate in it.
We call it an ordinance.

Acts 2:38 ESV
And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
no amount of water saves us !!! justified by grace faith and the Blood w/o the shedding of Blood there is NO remission of sins .if i get saved and die with out baptism. do i die and Go to hell?

My church is part of the Church of God denomination. We do feet washing once every quarter of the year. Out of 40 to 60 people on a given Sunday, only about 10 people participate in it.
We call it an ordinance.
i fail to understand that why they dont its a act of humility and being a servant.. Christ Girded the towel around his waist as a servants badge .

do we just ignore this ?---15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back