Forgiveness: Spiritual Motivation of One Who Forgives

I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back—not to mention that you owe me your very self. 20 I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ. 21 Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.
22 And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers.
23 Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. 24 And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow workers.
25 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. – Philemon 1:19-25

This is a continuation from last Sunday’s service (Forgiveness thread) of the notes I have taken in church.

From here, the verses are broken down into 6 parts:
1. I owe a debt I cannot pay.
I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back—not to mention that you owe me your very self. – Philemon 1:19
I am indebted to some people that I won’t be able to pay back, things that were done for me through the gracious hearts of others.

2. I can become a blessing to others.
I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ. – Philemon 1:20
Not only in CFS can we be a blessing. Even at work we can help those who need it; a bit of inspiration to get through a tough day.

then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. – Philipians 2:2-4

3. I am called to be obedient to the Lord.
Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask. – Philemon 1:21
Have confidence in yourself to be obedient and achieve more than just average. Doing a good job feels good, doesn’t it? :)

4. I am accountable to godly leaders.
And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers. – Philemon 1:22
I really applaud the Missionaries and Evangelists in what they do for people. It may not be my calling, but I can certainly pray for them and be a part of them in that way.

Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only how these arrogant people are talking, but what power they have. 20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. 21 What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a gentle spirit? - 1 Cor 4:18-21
Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. - 2 Cor 12:14

In all honesty, I really don’t see a lot of this where I live. A friend of mine made the decision to drop out of school to support his family of 3 others. His parents were not ill, if they were, I could understand that hardship.

5. I’m part of a Fellowship.
Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. 24 And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow workers. – Philemon 1:23-24
We are here for each other, not to be a bother.

6. I must be empowered by the grace of God.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. – Philemon 1:25
I think that sums it up nicely. :)

We all know about Pearl Harbor. The Lieutenant, Mitsuo Fushida, made a book about how he came through to Christ after that heavy time. Though it’s out of print and if interested in the title anyway, his book is called Pearl Harbor to Golgotha.

I forgive Mitsuo Fushida
I forgive Bin Laden
I forgive all my personal enemies
And I am refreshed in Christ

Back