Forgiveness

Forgiveness

I'm new here, this is my first post, actually. :eek: I was looking for help, and found this site.

In the past, I made many mistakes. Did things I shouldn't have. Hurt people. I would give anything to take it back, but we can't erase the ugly parts of our past. I spent almost a year soul-searching, and praying to God. I beat myself up for a long time, over bad choices I had made. Depression overwhelmed me, and there were many times I wanted to just die. Finally, I got past that. I made every attempt to face my past, apologized to the people I had hurt, and was sincere. Then, I began making changes in myself.

A situation has arose recently, which has the outward appearance of being "just like" my past. The truth is, things are very different this time. And no one will be hurt by these choices. I am happy, and feeling good about myself.

Sadly, the "community" I dwelt in has started throwing stones. Accusing me of not changing. Of being the bad person I used to be. And saying this is an identical situation, when it isn't at all. They have truly tried to run me out on a rail. Using Bible quotes & scriptures to "make their point". Gossiping about me, trying to ruin my reputation which I worked so hard on fixing, trying to turn others against me, and shunning me. My question is this... How does their reactions fit in with God's word?:confused:

I'm new here as well, and struggling with my faith and forgiveness too. My advice (take it or leave it) is to focus on God and pray for the strength to withstand the scorn of your friends. It doesn't matter what they think of you...only God.

At least that's my take on it. :)

WasLost

Sylvanus & WasLost, I appreciate your replies. Always, we only truly have God to help us through anything. Could not agree more. I suppose I was looking for answers, on why people who claim to be Christians are behaving in this manner, and claiming it is because of their faith. That makes no sense to me.

What about hate the sin and love the sinner? What about not judging others? I'm at a loss how to respond to the viscious attacks, as they are already starting off with murky facts, they choose not to believe me when I explain. I suppose I am saddened by the loss of a few friends, and overwhelmed by the other's hatred for me.

Lacey, first of all, welcome.

From your description of what has taken place recently, it seems as if they are judging.

Man is not to judge, for only God has that ultimate responsibility. If you have truly repented of your sins from the heart and have changed your ways, those sins are blotted out in God's eyes. It is easy for us as mortals to say to others, "don't repeat those sins"... but in reality we all sin; even if we try as hard as we can not to. That is why Christ died for us - to allow us to do the very best that we can not to sin, to repent of our sins when we do slip up and try to not repeat them.

If what you have said is accurate, those persons who are the name callers and who are judging have a very limited knowledge of Scripture.

Click on these highlites for scripture:

Matthew 7:1 (KJV), Luke 6:37 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 4:3 (KJV), and especially Matthew 6:14 (KJV).

We MUST forgive ourselves before we can forgive others. It seems that those who are judging you have not read these scriptures. Remember how Christ dealt with the woman caught in adultry in John 8:1-11 (KJV). The accusers ran off because they had their own sins to deal with and Christ knew that they all had done similar sins as the woman had. As Christ wrote things in the dust before them, each of the accusers ran off... (Let those who have not sinned cast the first stone.)

If you have repented of your sins and have forgiven yourself, you are in a much better light than those who are judging you are. Dealing with their attitudes is something that only you will find a way through, but they are the one's that will have to answer for their actions before God.

Pastor Gary, TY, both for the welcome, and the scriptures. What you said helped a lot. A reminder of what really matters here...which is the fact I have repented. I can not control what they choose to believe. It saddens me. But it took a very long time for me to forgive myself. I am harsher on me than anyone ever could be. It just...tripped me up that others chose not to forgive.

Sylvanus said:
God has always a way to show you your true heart. He brings you to the limits of your integrity, and then, just before the worse happens, He takes you out of it (like with Abraham sacrificing his son). When it will all be finished, you will hold your head high, though with a humbled heart, your relationship with God will be stronger, and never again will this thing happen, because you would have trusted God, searched for the Spirit, and looked at Christ. Pray to God that you may endure for now, and to help you keep your integrity to the end.

God be with you.

Wise words. Thank you. I am glad I found this site, as I was in a bad way before reading the responses here.

Lacy

You have to know that many, many churchgoers don't know how to help other fellow believers in trouble or in conflict. They don't have ability to help other who needs spiritual help, that is one of the reasons why I don't belong to any organized church. It is better to follow Jesus with your own family than the churches who give you discouragement in so many ways.

welcome:)

^
God designed the church.. If there are conflicts and evildoers inside the church that's part of it.. We should not focus on the people in the church but we should be part of it, we should not detach from a local church.. Focus your eyes on Jesus and He will never let u down. Don't let the people around u turn u down. Now if these people are christians and really tearing u up, u could find another church..

Haven't Jesus and the apostles also experience the samething. persecution even from the pharasees for from that time they are the leaders of the church.. Dont lose heart.., "If God is with you who can be against you".

Mat 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Hi Lacey , congratulations on growing in His love.It is a known fact that people all have the ability to dissapoint us, some are very wrapped up in their own problems, some have a judgemental religious spirit, some don't know how to help and some are just plain lost. We must remember God's heart toward us:
Psa 103:10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
Psa 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
Psa 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
The price for every mistake and transgression you have ever made (or will make) was paid in full- God sacrificed the most preciuos thing he had to bring us back into a place of fellowship with Him- He treasures us above all else. This is the same God who who provides us with "everything that pertains to life and Godliness" you see Lacey the Lord has left no stone unturned in His quest to guide you farther and deeper into His presence.
As far as your community people will be people . God doesn't want us to withdraw from His church for we all need each other.Some may seem to "have it togeather" on the outside but on the inside you might be surprised to know that they may have problems than you. The Lord God knows your heart- they don't. I know it can seem dificult but it is important to forgive all who hurt you but even more important- forgive yourself. God isn't condeming you, do not let that feeling of guilt seperate you from fellowship with the One who loves you most.

It seems like the others have said all that I can think of Lacey. I do hope that you won't be discouraged by the actions of men. Just focus your eyes upon the Lord, but pray for them also. Our God works miracles in the hearts of men. Be strong and blameless before the Lord. All the best to you.

Back