Forum based bible study group. Book: Job, Chapter 2

This thread is a forum based bible study group.

The idea is to participate like in a regular bible study group and to read through a book in the bible and discuss it.

Presently we read the book Job. Today we continue with Chapter 2.

alxb

Again we see God meeting with the angels and Satan. God drew Satan's attention to Job (Job 2:3). Job has suffered great loss already as we see in chapter one, but now was going to suffer physical afflictions.

Satan was sure that if a man's life was threatened then they would curse God for that suffering.

Last edited:
Job's wife may have cursed God herself. She does tell Job to curse God and die, the trials were clearly getting to her, but Job softly corrected her (Job 2:9-10).

Trials like this often affect many others besides ourselves. Job's wife saw the pain and suffering of her husband, knew the pain of losing her children and much of the family wealth. What else was Job's wife going through during this trial?

It is may be judging, but it seems that Job's wife had not much faith (yet). It is certainly an interesting story for itself, the story of Job's wife. In this book she is not really a "positive example". Certainly it was a hard time for her too. May be her comments were not meant like what it appears. Is it may be a pattern with wifes? Women who say this and mean another thing?

I am married. I could share some stories with my wife now, but this would not be fair to talk about my wife here, while she is unaware of it.

We also do not know what happened to Job's wife.

And interesting is how Job's friends react. They are perfect friends, it seems. They sit with him on the ground and suffer with him, saying nothing. It will be interesting to observe how this will change.

The friends that come to visit Job, are said to have "come from their own place" (Job 2:11). Their own place is not the house down the street necessarily. These friends talked amongst themselves and arranged to come to Job as we see in Job 2:11. This action doesn't seem necessary if they were close by.

Apparently the boils that had erupted all over Job's body disguised his appearance because his friends didn't recognize him (Job 2:7,12). Also we are told that for 7 days and nights none of them spoke because Job was in great grief (verse 13).

Actually we are given a hint to what becomes of Job's wife indirectly in chapter 42. She is blessed along with Job.
Although we do not know whether it was the same wife... but that is just speculation. In any case she was not really in the focus of this book.

It is may be judging, but it seems that Job's wife had not much faith (yet). It is certainly an interesting story for itself, the story of Job's wife. In this book she is not really a "positive example". Certainly it was a hard time for her too. May be her comments were not meant like what it appears. Is it may be a pattern with wifes? Women who say this and mean another thing?

I am married. I could share some stories with my wife now, but this would not be fair to talk about my wife here, while she is unaware of it.

We also do not know what happened to Job's wife.

And interesting is how Job's friends react. They are perfect friends, it seems. They sit with him on the ground and suffer with him, saying nothing. It will be interesting to observe how this will change.

Although we do not know whether it was the same wife... but that is just speculation. In any case she was not really in the focus of this book.

I'd like to share, Job was a man of God, had great faith, character and integrity that brought glory to our Father. With that said, Job was married to one woman in the Bible. She chided Job regarding God, but he understood his wife's securities/insecurities. He was husband, priest and Dad to her and their children. Again, he being a generous and caring man of God.

His wife ended up having a lot of children from the first 10 not named and a second blessing of 10 children in Job 42:13-14.

(In the Apocrypha, Job is restored by God and marries a second wife named Dinah, from the line of Jacob.)

Of course, all God's Word is important but the wife in this teaching was a minor note.

Am I getting ahead of the Bible study? For that, I'm sorry and will stop here.

“and said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭1:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This scripture is such a great reminder to respect, honor and accept any and all tests from The Most High.

“and said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭1:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This scripture is such a great reminder to respect, honor and accept any and all tests from The Most High.

Hello Gold Heart;

Well said. I feel Job's reminder of respect and honor is humbling to God, revealing His glory (blessed be the name of the Lord.)

God bless you, Gold Heart, and your whole family.

I never really thought so deeply about Job's words before. Although I read this book several times, this sentence from Job I never considered, what it implies. What faith and trust in the Lord he had!
Usually Abraham is considered as the example of faith. And Gideon, David, and many more.
But Job was also a man of great faith.

There are actually a number of good examples of faith in the Bible. Often I think they are missed because we don't put ourselves in their shoes. Noah showed great faith as well building the ark, but it would be easy to miss, if you didn't imagine the ridicule that he and his family received as they undertook such a huge project and all that was necessary besides just building the ark.

There are actually a number of good examples of faith in the Bible. Often I think they are missed because we don't put ourselves in their shoes. Noah showed great faith as well building the ark, but it would be easy to miss, if you didn't imagine the ridicule that he and his family received as they undertook such a huge project and all that was necessary besides just building the ark.
Oh absolutely, people must have thought Noah was completely insane. Building an ark with not even a raindrop in sight! It took incredible faith to keep going despite all of those naysayers.

Back