Forum based bible study group. Book: Job, Chapter 3

This thread is a forum based bible study group.

The idea is to participate like in a regular bible study group and to read through a book in the bible and discuss it.

Presently we read the book Job. Today we continue with Chapter 3.

alxb

It is amazing. From the discussions with you I learned that in the two previous chapters there is so much more content than I thought, e.g. about Job's faith.
So, here in Chapter 3 Job starts to talk to his friends and expresses his frustration, ... any by this deeply is shocking his friends....

In Job's lament one thing you note that Job doesn't blame God or question the power or existence of God.

Job is speaking from his misery and pain. Wishing that he wasn't born. It seems he wants an end to his trial and if that end is death let it be. At one time in my life I remember a trial no where near as severe as Job's where I prayed for death or some other deliverance not so much for myself but for my wife that suffered because of my sins.

What I'm not hearing yet in Job's trial is Job seeking God for the path through this trial. God will and does show us that path even though sometimes the actual deliverance may yet be some time away.

In Job's lament one thing you note that Job doesn't blame God or question the power or existence of God.

Job is speaking from his misery and pain. Wishing that he wasn't born. It seems he wants an end to his trial and if that end is death let it be. At one time in my life I remember a trial no where near as severe as Job's where I prayed for death or some other deliverance not so much for myself but for my wife that suffered because of my sins.

What I'm not hearing yet in Job's trial is Job seeking God for the path through this trial. God will and does show us that path even though sometimes the actual deliverance may yet be some time away.

Thank you very much for sharing. That must have been a difficult time for you and your wife but also for you. Well, I have not experienced such hard times as Job either, but also several hard times, and one where I was not sure if I will get through. Such times remind me always that this life is really really real. Brutally real. I placed trust into Jesus and He lead me through, although this process took several years. I appeared like taking forever.

For Job, this "crisis" was beyond his faith. That is quite hard, such an experience, to be placed into such a state. But actually, I recall one important sentence from Job (in a later chapter) where his heart expresses such faith and love toward the Lord. Probably he was not aware that he does indeed trust God but on a very very unconscious level. May be.

Job was a man that these friends knew quite well. Here was a man that was greatly blessed by God, respected by many, and clearly following God. These friends watched as they sat with Job for 7 days his misery and pain. Did Job's wife come out to apply ointments from time to time, I suspect that she did. Perhaps his friends helped with that as well. Anyway they knew his suffering.

Job does what many of us would do initially in time of suffering he cries out lamenting or grieving, expressing the pain. It can take a moment to focus on what is important.

How often have we done the same thing at first when suffering comes? There is some hint in his words that his friends are not comforting and perhaps some blame put on God for "hedging him in" (Job 3:23)

Indeed. Job was not only respected by many but he was rich. This tells me: God has no problem with rich people. I guess many said at the time of Job that such a person cannot be a believer, being so wealthy and respected. But God sees the heart.
Moreover, it tells me, together with the entire Scripture, that one does not need to be respected in order to be a follower of the Lord. E.g. Ezekiel I would rather consider as a "difficult" person. I would include me as well in the category of "difficult" persons.

Back