• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boanerges(Inactive)

FOX's BOOK of MARTYRS

FOX's BOOK of MARTYRS

Fox's Book of Martyrs

Reading this book will challenge your heart as never before. So many wonderful brethren gave their lives joyfully . Some even went singing as they refused to renounce Christ or yield to spiritual tyranny. Be warned though as some of this may be fairly graphic in detail.

Most historians say that book is untrustworthy.

For example in his book, John Fox related that a Catholic by the name of Grimwood of Hitcham had been a great enemy of the protestant revolutionaries, and was punished "by a judgment of God," and "his bowels fell out of his body." Whereas, the protestant Anthony Wood relates that, during the reign of Elizabeth I, a certain Protestant minister related in a sermon the account of Grimwood’s death, using Fox as his authority. But, unfortunately for the parson, not only was Grimwood alive at the time when the sermon was preached, but happened to be present in the church to hear the sermon, and brought an action of defamation against the preacher. (Anthony Wood, Athenae Oxonienses, ii., 789.)

Actually historically it is quite sound. I understand that many catholic apologists oppose it and try to disprove it because of their churches involvement in some of the atrocities but one must remember this was then and not today. Do not take it personal.

After much deliberation I have decided as OP to close this thread as it is not worth the hurt feelings it will stir up. Originally I posted it as a shining example of steadfast love for Christ in spite of adversity but now I realize that many would not receive it because of their church histories ans involvements.
No offense intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back