Full of Sorrow

Thursday, January 08, 2015, 3:35 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song, “What the Lord Says.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Psalm 119:25-32 (ESV).

Daleth

My soul clings to the dust;
give me life according to your word!
When I told of my ways, you answered me;
teach me your statutes!
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word!
Put false ways far from me
and graciously teach me your law!
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your rules before me.
I cling to your testimonies, O Lord;
let me not be put to shame!
I will run in the way of your commandments
when you enlarge my heart!

Are You Depressed?

Are you now, or have you ever been depressed? I have been! You cry and you pray, and yet the answers just don’t seem to come. And, so you look for various ways to try to lessen your pain, to drown it out entirely, or to run away (escape) from it so that you don’t feel so bad. And, yet, none of these remedies of the flesh ever satisfy, and many of them only leave you feeling even more depressed, and perhaps full of guilt, too, because you went to broken cisterns that don’t hold water in order to find refreshment for your troubled mind, rather than looking to the giver of life to bring healing to your wounded heart and soul.

Although there are many factors which may lead to or contribute to depression, I believe one of the primary reasons people go through depression is because they are listening to the wrong voices. There are many voices which speak to us – our own thoughts, the world, TV (all media), Satan, family, friends, the church, church leaders, music/songs, our pasts, people from our pasts, school, “what-ifs,” and/or jobs/careers, etc. All of these outside influences have had some kind of impact on our lives, our thinking, and on how we view life, and in how we view ourselves in relation to God, to others, and to our circumstances.

The problem comes in when we either make conscious choices of our wills to continue allowing the wrong kinds of input into our minds, and/or when we allow, consciously or not, these wrong voices to influence our thinking, and so we end up believing the lies instead of the truth. I know that this (the latter) is something I have battled many years. I pray to God that he makes me aware of when I am listening to the wrong voices in my head, so that I can reject the lies, and so that I can cling to the truth, instead of to the dust. Amen!

Give Me Life

I love that song by Casting Crowns called “The Voice of Truth.” It speaks to the issue of these voices which speak lies into our minds and into our hearts and how we need to reject those lies, and how we need to listen to the voice of truth and follow after the truth, instead. It is a song that has encouraged my heart many times, over many years.

The wrong voices remind us of past failures and they convince us that we cannot be successful, victorious, whole or pure. Yet, the voice of truth tells us a different story. The voice of truth, found in God’s Holy Word, says “Do not be afraid, this is for my glory.” So, “I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth.” So simple, and yet so profound!

Instead of clinging to the dust, we need to cling to the Word of God. We need to be open and honest with the Lord concerning our suffering, casting our burdens upon him and leaving them there, believing in his promises, and trusting in his grace. We also need to rid our lives, as much as is possible, of those wrong kinds of voices (influences) over our minds and not continue to entertain them in our minds. And, as I have been doing for some time now, we need to pray and ask the Lord to make us aware of when we are listening to the wrong voices so that we can reject them, and so we can embrace the truth instead.

According to Your Word

Not only do we need to rid our lives of the wrong kinds of influences (voices), but we need to cling to the voice of truth. We find this truth in God’s Holy Word, the Bible.

Although we are not under the Old Covenant relationship with God, and thus many of these teachings in the Old Testament may no longer apply to us, the Bible says that all scripture is “profitable for teaching, reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness” (See: 2 Tim. 3:16-17). So, there is still much to be learned from the Old Testament, as well as, and in light of the New Testament and our New Covenant relationship with God. In other words, if it is supported in the New Testament by the teachings of Christ and of the apostles then it still applies to us today.

Thus, in the Old Testament, when we read such words as laws, statutes, precepts and commandments we must understand these to be speaking to us today of God’s Word, Christ’s teachings and instructions, and the teachings of the apostles, as well as all that still applies to us from the teachings of the Old Testament. As followers of Jesus Christ, we are members of God’s household, which was built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets, with Jesus Christ being the cornerstone (See: Eph. 2:14-22). The prophets prophesied much concerning Christ (the Messiah) and the church age and the time of the end, so there is still much to be learned from reading them, as well.

Teach Me

So, if I have been clinging to the dust, and I need to be renewed and refreshed in mind, spirit, heart and emotion, I need to go the Word of God and in prayer, and I need to pray that the Lord Jesus would teach me all I need to learn in order to forsake my former ways of responding to my circumstances, and so I can now respond with faith and assurance in who he is, in his sovereignty over my life, and in who he has created me to be. I need to learn what his word teaches me with regard to faith, holy living, godliness, trust, security, faithfulness, and lies and truth, so that I can put off those lies and put on what is true.

This means I need to make spending time with the Lord in his word and in prayer top priority in my life, realizing that my fellowship with him and my time in his word is what gives me the nourishment, guidance and counsel my soul needs for knowing how to combat these lies and to put on the truth. We all need this! Our times with our Lord and in his word are the bread and water for life we need in order for us to live godly and holy lives for Christ in this present age while we wait for his return (See: Tit. 2:11-14).

What the Lord Says / An Original Work

February 24, 2014 / Based off Isaiah 43:1-44:5

This is what the Lord says to you:
Fear not, for I have chosen you.
I have summoned you by your name.
You are mine. I died, you to save.

When you go through your trials, so deep,
I will be with you; you will not sink.
You are so precious always to me.
Trust in your Lord, Savior and King.

He who gave salvation to you;
Who delivered you from your sin;
Takes your burdens now upon Him:

Forget the former things of your life.
Give of your heart not now up to strife.
See all the new things I have for you.
Walk in vict’ry. Trust in what’s true.

He who made you; who will help you:
Do not fear what humans may do.
Walk in freedom. Follow what’s true.

Drink of my Spirit given for you.
Trust in my mercy, for I love you.
I have a plan for all of your life.
Follow my ways. Do what is right.

http://originalworks.info/what-the-lord-says/

Looks like you just found the solution for Mental illness.

If we continue to refuse to feed thoughts contrarary to the Word, they weaking and get less and less.

We can't fight thoughts with thoughts, we are called to speak. It is written!!! We will always loose the thought battle without standing up and speaking the Word only.

Our brains are not designed to speak one thing and think something else. While we are speaking all thoughts get put on hold.

Just count down from 10 backwards in your mind then around 5, say, "I am going to have a great day today."
What happened to the counting?

Tongues, you can speak and write, or focus on other things as Tongues is not connected to the head, but inside our spirit man.

Good article.

Looks like you just found the solution for Mental illness.

If we continue to refuse to feed thoughts contrarary to the Word, they weaking and get less and less.

We can't fight thoughts with thoughts, we are called to speak. It is written!!! We will always loose the thought battle without standing up and speaking the Word only.

Our brains are not designed to speak one thing and think something else. While we are speaking all thoughts get put on hold.

Just count down from 10 backwards in your mind then around 5, say, "I am going to have a great day today."
What happened to the counting?

Tongues, you can speak and write, or focus on other things as Tongues is not connected to the head, but inside our spirit man.

Good article.

Thank you for sharing those thoughts. All glory to God! Yes, God and his word are what we need, not drugs or psychobabble.

Back