Slaughter
Boutte
Ponchatoula
Colon
Bogalousa
Oil City
Waterproof
Bunke

Oh, no.... I've seen threads like this before.... they go downhill fast. :eek: I won't even mention some of the town names I've seen before. :eek:

I made up a word a very ery long time ago. I was probably 8-10 years old. And I told my friend if I discover or invent something I'd call it a "Gooberzantaxerammasortessimanianorpilator" :D I forgot about it for a few years, but my memory pulled it up and I never forgot it and even how to spell it and say it fluently. Strange, hey? :D

There are some pretty interesting towns in Pennsylvania, like "Bird-in-Hand" (and other towns in that area). There is a town and the name of it means nothing like you think it means, but I won't post it here, I'm sure you all can figure it out.

The oddest name here in Iowa I think is the town of Olds. Of course, when we first moved here, we thought these sounded pretty interesting:
Keosaqua - Kee-oh-sock-wahh
Oscaloosa
Keokuk
quite a few Indian names.

Where is this?! Some eastern European country I've never heard of...?:eek:

i believe that is a town in wales and it is also the longest name for a city in the world. if you want some strange names look up Newfoundland on wikipedia or some where. one of the cleaner names is Conception Bay, Aaron Arm, Ocher Pit Cove and other such stuff

i believe that is a town in wales and it is also the longest name for a city in the world. if you want some strange names look up Newfoundland on wikipedia or some where. one of the cleaner names is Conception Bay, Aaron Arm, Ocher Pit Cove and other such stuff

Ohh....I see. No wonder its in Wales, the people here in America wouldn't be able to comprehend such a big word...tee hee.:D

i think its actually just a bunch of nonsence lol i dont think it actually means any thing in welsh either they just gave the town a long name for the sake of giving the town a long name lol

If you ever go to Wales in the United Kingdom you would be missing out on a good laugh, not going to a small town called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Many of the people are very proud of their little town and its name. If you ask one of them to pronounce the name of their town, they are usually happy to oblige. Most people visiting would have a lot of trouble saying the name and I'm sure the locals have a good laugh at some of the attempts to pronounce the name. Many people visiting are intrigued when they hear the locals say the name.
Originally the town had a shorter, easier to pronounce name: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll. 'I think I would still have trouble pronouncing that'!
In the 1860s, more syllables were added to attract more visitors to the town. It is believed the name was officially conjured up by the village council, intentionally for the privilege and reputation of having the longest railway station name in Great Britain.
Do you think you could pronounce the name properly? The name is usually shortened to Llanfair P.G.
Llanfair P.G. is not very far from Caernarfon Castle, one of the largest castles in Wales. Well worth a visit.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch means; "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the red cave."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A403642

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, longest town name in Wales

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is not the longest town name in the world? Thailand has a town whose name has 163 letters:
Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphopnop- paratrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathit- sakkattiyavisanukamprasit.

I've heard them all! :D

It's actually a nice little town.

It has an old limestone Catholic church, very gothic in design.
A cemetery.
One house.

That's about it. Cows, a few horses, lots of corn, wheat, milow, and beans.

If it had been a Lutheran church, thay would have named it "Heaven" instead.

[kidding] (I just couldn't resist slipping that one in!) :p

I thought the towns in Louisiana had odd names until I saw this one:
namethattown.jpg
Not Wales actually. It's the longest place name in New Zealand. It's the name of a hill, and literally means "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose-flute to his loved one".

Back