Gal 2:1-5

Today's New International Version (2005)
Galatians 2:1-5
2:1 Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.
2:2 I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.
2:3 Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek.
2:4 This matter arose because some false believers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.
2:5 We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might remain with you.

These are my thoughts please share yours.
1 Paul is continuing to tell his testiomony which is started in Gal 1:11. This was after Paul went to preach to the Gentiles because Titus was with him along with Barnabas.
2 Sometimes we need asurance in what we do and that is what Paul was looking for. Paul went because the Spirit lead him there.
3 Titus may have decided to be circcumcised to aviod problems with the Jewish believers there who may have viewed it as a problem. We learn that Jews had problems with uncircumcised believers from Paul's letter to the Romans.
4 The false believers he is talking about are those who taught one had to have Jesus and live by the law as well.
5 Paul wanted to preach grace not legalism so he did not have Titus circumcised right away but after they preached them the truth.

Back