Generational Curses

blueskies

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
I was reading Exodus and cross referencing when I ran into the concept of Generational Curses.

This was something new to me, and I am curious how others see this. The idea is that, if your family line is marked by divorce, incest or other ungodly patterns such as idol worship, you are likely to suffer from a generational curse.

I personally don’t subscribe to this view and if there was ever any OT validity then I believe that the blood that Jesus shed to forgive our sins has the power to remove any generational iniquities.

This passage from Exodus (and a few others: Exodus 34:17, Numbers 14:18, and Deuteronomy 5:9) seem to be the germ of the idea of generational curses :
KJV, 20:5
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;”

The context is in the case of graven images and idol worship which is broadly defined in the preceding verse (Exodus 20:4)

So the questions are:

Can we inherit a father’s, a grandfather’s, a great-grandfather’s sin and the debt, and then share in the effects of their iniquities, regardless of our own merits; or is this only true if we tread in our father's steps?

If not, which is what I must believe, then what is Exodus 20:5 saying regarding the sins of the father passing to the son?

nI was reading Exodus and cross referencing when I ran into the concept of Generational Curses.

This was something new to me, and I am curious how others see this. The idea is that, if your family line is marked by divorce, incest or other ungodly patterns such as idol worship, you are likely to suffer from a generational curse.

I personally don’t subscribe to this view and if there was ever any OT validity then I believe that the blood that Jesus shed to forgive our sins has the power to remove any generational iniquities.

This passage from Exodus (and a few others: Exodus 34:17, Numbers 14:18, and Deuteronomy 5:9) seem to be the germ of the idea of generational curses :
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;”

The context is in the case of graven images and idol worship which is broadly defined in the preceding verse (Exodus 20:4)

So the questions are:

Can we inherit a father’s, a grandfather’s, a great-grandfather’s sin and the debt, and then share in the effects of their iniquities, regardless of our own merits; or is this only true if we tread in our father's steps?

If not, which is what I must believe, then what is Exodus 20:5 saying regarding the sins of the father passing to the son?

I also have wrestled with proper understanding and have concluded with this;
The Bible tell us to raise our children in the way of the Lord...and while they may stray they possess the will to return to righteousness. The curse is contained in the absence of will, caused by improper guidance as a child.

I was reading Exodus and cross referencing when I ran into the concept of Generational Curses.

So the questions are:

Now, you may feel completely at ease by rejecting what I say. I have over the years have had to explain this very same question and here are my two conclusions that helps me put them together:

1. The sins of the fathers are punished in the children through becoming the sins of the children.

Ex. 20:5 & Numbers 14:18.......
"I the Lord...visit the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.”

The generations to come who experience the penalty of the fathers’ sins are those who hate God. We are not told how the fathers’ sins become the children’s sins. But what we are told is that when the father’s sins are visited on the children it is because the children are really sinful.
That is the form in which the fathers’ sins are visited. Therefore, all judgment is really deserved by the person who is punished.

But then, Because of God’s grace, which is finally secured by Christ, the children can confess their own sins and the sins of their fathers and be forgiven and accepted by God.

Leviticus 26:40-42..........
"But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers...if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, then I will remember my covenant with Jacob”.

The words of Exodus 34:6-7 are not nullified by the generational migration of sin.

"The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin."

God does not extend mercy by shutting His eyes to the guility or by saying....."I will just forget about your sin because you are special".

NO!. Sin, all sin must be punished and a penalty paid. God by no means clears the guilty.
What happens then?????
How does He keep His mercy and take care of the iniquity at the same time?

A blood SACRIFICE must be provided!!!! The sacrifices that Israel made in that day did not take away sin but they pointed to the one coming who was THE PERFECT SACRIFICE to take away the sins of the world and not just cover them up.

No, not for those in Christ.

Galatians 3:13 ESV
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us-for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"-

But those in Adam are still under Adam's curse.

We inherit our father's wealth or his poverty. We inherit our father's lawfulness or his lawlessness. We inherit our father's DNA. Why not also inherit his sin?

Of course there are always children who reject their father and carve, for better or worse, their own path, so who knows?

We inherit our father's wealth or his poverty. We inherit our father's lawfulness or his lawlessness. We inherit our father's DNA. Why not also inherit his sin?

Of course there are always children who reject their father and carve, for better or worse, their own path, so who knows?

I find no scriptural support for that thought. It does not pass the test of..."free will"....as delineated in scriptures.

I find no scriptural support for that thought. It does not pass the test of..."free will"....as delineated in scriptures.
Didn't it say that the sins of the fathers would be carried down to the children (3rd 4th generation) in the OT?

But that God would be merciful to a 3rd 4th generations?

Exodus 20:5 [KJV]

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exodus 34:7 [KJV]

7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation

just wondering 🤔

I was reading Exodus and cross referencing when I ran into the concept of Generational Curses. This was something new to me, and I am curious how others see this. The idea is that, if your family line is marked by divorce, incest or other ungodly patterns such as idol worship, you are likely to suffer from a generational curse. I personally don’t subscribe to this view and if there was ever any OT validity then I believe that the blood that Jesus shed to forgive our sins has the power to remove any generational iniquities. This passage from Exodus (and a few others: Exodus 34:17, Numbers 14:18, and Deuteronomy 5:9) seem to be the germ of the idea of generational curses: KJV, 20:5 “Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;” Can we inherit a father’s, a grandfather’s, a great-grandfather’s sin and the debt, and then share in the effects of their iniquities, regardless of our own merits; or is this only true if we tread in our father's steps? If not, which is what I must believe, then what is Exodus 20:5 saying regarding the sins of the father passing to the son?
1. The sins of the fathers are punished in the children through becoming the sins of the children.
Ex. 20:5 & Numbers 14:18......."I the Lord...visit the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.” The generations to come who experience the penalty of the fathers’ sins are those who hate God. We are not told how the fathers’ sins become the children’s sins. But what we are told is that when the father’s sins are visited on the children it is because the children are really sinful. That is the form in which the fathers’ sins are visited. Therefore, all judgment is really deserved by the person who is punished. But then, Because of God’s grace, which is finally secured by Christ, the children can confess their own sins and the sins of their fathers and be forgiven and accepted by God.

Hello blueskies;

What we must believe is the Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are examples of the many, many Old Laws in the Old Testament.

Unless we pass hatred of God to the next family generation, we are not cursed nor do we inherit our past generational sin under
Christ's Love Commandments;

"The blood that Jesus shed to forgive our sin" and "because of God's grace, which is finally secured by Christ" are examples of Jesus' fulfillment of the law. This was an important statement of our Lord's Mission and Jesus’ purpose to establish the Word.

I never inherited my previous family's many debts of sin but overcame them through repentance and forgiveness of my sin. Unfortunately I had to turn from my later personal sins and continue to seek God's forgiveness daily.

This cannot be a one answer post to Generational Curses. but deserves many other views to your thread.

God bless you, brother, and thank you for sharing this important topic for discussion.

Didn't it say that the sins of the fathers would be carried down to the children (3rd 4th generation) in the OT?
my actions in my younger years was due to my own choice no one in my direct family gparents or parents did my actions . the old saying you make your own bed and lay in it. we make our own choices and when its sin .its because we allowed the seed to be planted

But that God would be merciful to a 3rd 4th generations?

Exodus 20:5 [KJV]

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exodus 34:7 [KJV]

7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation

just wondering 🤔
We are reminded the OT was replaced by the NT.

Of course we inherit our father's sin, otherwise Adam's sin would have rested on him alone, thus our need to atone for sin and be forgiven. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but that's not up to me to decide. It's literally in our DNA.

Good answers here.

I feel the same way. I will word it different but you get the jist.

I kinda think if you are not aware that what you are doing is wrong, or willfully deny it, then you just inherit your fathers sins?. like barbarism, paganism etc... people don't love God here, they love idols. Whether they know it or not.

But once you're aware that said actions are wrong, and repent and take action to change in faith then any darkness is turned to light. hope that makes sense.
It's not an inheritance of a particular sin, because new sins can be developed. So how would that even work? That would mean we now have a new sin to pass on and so on.
No I think like you all said it's a sin nature we inherit. we can be programmed into any sin if we dont love God right?

Of course we inherit our father's sin, otherwise Adam's sin would have rested on him alone, thus our need to atone for sin and be forgiven. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but that's not up to me to decide. It's literally in our DNA.
we inherited the sin nature.. who did adam and eve get it from . 11Not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. 12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned. 13For sin was in the world before the law was given; but sin is not taken into account when there is no law.… the law was our school master teaching us what sin is.

we dont inherit sin from our physical family

it's a sin nature we inherit.
exactly its hard to explain but its not a physically passed on through genes . like cancer i have cancer on both sides of my family Alzheimer's diabetes's ,Parkinson's. the sin curse was broken at the cross the ability for new life at the resurrection

John 11:25-26

King James Version

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Aren't you saying sin nature...free will to sin.....not a given sin?

Not necessarily, maybe a precursor? Like people who are alcoholics. It's a disease, we are wired in DNA react to certain stimulus and addictive behaviors etc. Sin yes but perhaps we are more susceptible to certain behaviors of sin then others?

Back