Genesis 7-8

Genesis 7-8

:confused: Can someone help me understand the structure of Genesis 7 and 8? It's very confusing. In one place it says the Lord tells Noah to bring 2 of every clean animal, but then he brings 7...

And then it goes on and on how long Noah spent (until the 27th day of the 601st year), but switches to Noah sending the dove out each week. It says he started after 40 days, so 40+7+7 =/ a whole year.

I'm a little confused about the timing here. :confused:

:confused: Can someone help me understand the structure of Genesis 7 and 8? It's very confusing. In one place it says the Lord tells Noah to bring 2 of every clean animal, but then he brings 7...

And then it goes on and on how long Noah spent (until the 27th day of the 601st year), but switches to Noah sending the dove out each week. It says he started after 40 days, so 40+7+7 =/ a whole year.

Genesis 7

The Flood Covers the Earth

2 Take with you seven pairs—male and female—of each animal I have approved for eating and for sacrifice,[a]

and take one pair of each of the others.

( the other animals would be the un-clean animals as mentioned in Leviticus )

3 Also take seven pairs of every kind of bird. There must be a male and a female in each pair to ensure that all life will survive on the earth after the flood. 4 Seven days from now I will make the rains pour down on the earth. And it will rain for forty days and forty nights, until I have wiped from the earth all the living things I have created.”

Genesis 8

The Flood Recedes

6 After another forty days, Noah opened the window he had made in the boat 7 and released a raven.( A raven is an un-clean bird as mentioned in Leviticus)

The bird flew back and forth until the floodwaters on the earth had dried up. 8 He also released a dove to see if the water had receded and it could find dry ground.

18 So Noah, his wife, and his sons and their wives left the boat. 19 And all of the large and small animals and birds came out of the boat, pair by pair.
20 Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and there he sacrificed as burnt offerings the animals and birds that had been approved for that purpose.[e]

Someone else can answer the other question:D

Albert Barnes has a good explanation, so I’ll just post what he says.

Noah delays apparently another month, and, on the first day of the new year, ventures to remove the covering of the ark and look around. The date of the complete drying of the land is then given. The interval from the entrance to the exit consists of the following periods:

Rain continued--------------------------------------40 days
Waters prevailed------------------------------------150 days
Waters subside-------------------------------------99 days
Noah delays-----------------------------------------40 days
Sending of the raven and the dove-----------20 days
Another month--------------------------------------29 days
Interval until the 27th of the 2nd month------57 days
Sum-total of days-----------------------------------365 days

Hence, it appears that the interval was a lunar year of three hundred and fifty-six days nearly, and ten days; that is, as nearly as possible, a solar year. This passage is important on account of the divisions of time which it brings out at this early epoch. The week of seven days is plainly intimated. The lunar month and year are evidently known. It is remarkable that the ten additional days bring up the lunar year in whole numbers to the solar. It seems a tacit agreement with the real order of nature. According to the Hebrew text, the deluge commenced in the 1656th year of the race of man. According to all texts it occurred in the time of Noah, the ninth in descent from Adam.

Albert Barnes has a good explanation, so I’ll just post what he says.

Noah delays apparently another month, and, on the first day of the new year, ventures to remove the covering of the ark and look around. The date of the complete drying of the land is then given. The interval from the entrance to the exit consists of the following periods:

Rain continued--------------------------------------40 days
Waters prevailed------------------------------------150 days
Waters subside-------------------------------------99 days
Noah delays-----------------------------------------40 days
Sending of the raven and the dove-----------20 days
Another month--------------------------------------29 days
Interval until the 27th of the 2nd month------57 days
Sum-total of days-----------------------------------365 days

Hence, it appears that the interval was a lunar year of three hundred and fifty-six days nearly, and ten days; that is, as nearly as possible, a solar year. This passage is important on account of the divisions of time which it brings out at this early epoch. The week of seven days is plainly intimated. The lunar month and year are evidently known. It is remarkable that the ten additional days bring up the lunar year in whole numbers to the solar. It seems a tacit agreement with the real order of nature. According to the Hebrew text, the deluge commenced in the 1656th year of the race of man. According to all texts it occurred in the time of Noah, the ninth in descent from Adam.

Thanks Brother for this, it's a lot more clear now. :)

WHO AM I ,
Maybe you can explain Aza first question...? He may not have gotten it and I was so sleepy when I did so...:blink::sleeping:ohno01:...

Yes, I can try. I thought you did a good job, but now that I think of it, I already understood it. That was a question I had years ago.

In case it’s still not quite clear Azarias, I’ll ad some verses from the Bible in Basic English. I still use that version sometimes to help understand some things.

Gen 7:1 And the Lord said to Noah, Take all your family and go into the ark, for you only in this generation have I seen to be upright.
Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast you will take seven males and seven females, and of the beasts which are not clean, two, the male and his female;
Gen 7:3 And of the birds of the air, seven males and seven females, so that their seed may still be living on the face of the earth.

Like I believe Beloved said, the 7 pairs of clean animals were for food and sacrifices. The unclean, one male and one female, were to be used for repopulating the earth. One of the first things Noah did when they left the ark was to build an alter to sacrifice one of the clean animals as an offering to the Lord.

I hope it’s more clear now. Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask anyone here.

Blessings
Dean

That is the conflict. Look at Genesis 6:19-20 (NKJV):

"And of every living thing of all flesh you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive."

Yet in Genesis 7, it pretends as if the Lord never says this, even though Genesis 6:22 already said Noah did as God commanded him.

Genesis 7:2-3 (NKJV):

"You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of the earth."

I’m sorry Azarias. This morning I’ve been trying to explain this whole animal thing. I can’t get it down on paper. I know it makes sense, but I can’t make it make sense inside my head today.
I don’t get it. I know it’s simple, but today I don’t get it.
It just doesn’t make sense to me and I’m getting frustrated. This isn’t a good day for me.

I’m sorry I can’t help right now.
Dean

Could someone please pray for me?

Back