Gentleness

GENTLENESS

Dag Heward-Mills

READ: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-13

And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Jeremiah 3:15

The shepherd must make the sheep lie down in green pastures and prepare a table for them to feed them. The green pastures and still waters help relax the sheep and this enables them to feed.

“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters....Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies...” (Psalm 23:2,5).

The shepherd must gather the sheep, carry them and gently lead them to the place where he can feed them. If you do not have the time or heart to gather the people you are leading and gently carry them along, you will never have the chance to feed them. Without this kind of gentleness, the sheep will not be open to receive from the shepherd.

“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young” (Isaiah 40:11). The shepherd must feed the sheep with knowledge and understanding.

The knowledge of God, the fear of God and spiritual understanding will greatly transform the lives of your members. The shepherd must avoid administering material that should be taught in secular schools and universities. Those things have their place, but we must be teachers of the Word of God.

Back