Getting Anxious

For those of us who are vulnerable to anxiety what are some ways you
have experienced as spiritually useful in anxiety alleviation? The Bible tells
us:
Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with
thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your
hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (NAS)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and pleading
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of
God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds
in Christ Jesus.

It is one thing to know what the Bible says to do and another to know how to.
So, the point of this post is the testimony of anxiety suppression in personal
experience
in spiritual terms and how we have put Scripture into action
for spiritual self-improvement.

***Before engaging in this post please be aware of forum rule 3.2d on providing
psychological evaluation and remedy. This is not a post for professional advice
on psychology but is specific to a Scripture passage on an anxiety remedy in action.
Please, again, do not give or seek medical or psychological advice outside biblical
principle.

Rule 3.2d Due to liability concerns, CFS does not, under any circumstances, allow the posting of professional, clinical or psychological advice for members. This is especially enforced in the "Personal" posting areas. Anyone who offers professional, clinical or psychological advice may face warnings or banning from CFS and all posts will be removed. Even those persons who are licensed psychologists or therapists MAY NOT offer professional advice at the CFS Forum or by way of Private Messaging. The staff at CFS recommends that members who need answers should meet with a licensed and insured local Christian Consultant in your home area.

Having thought about this post.
I realise I have t been following scripture.
I over eat, drink too much coffee, eat too much chocolate, engage in distraction in short, ...ANYTHiNG >. to stuff my anxiety back down in the cellar where I think it belongs.
I mean.... who wants to deal with worries and confusions doubts and bad experiences when we are already living in a fallen world where anything could happen.

On the other hand, I allow them to take me to the farthest edges of my mind....I imagine scenarios, the worst case scenarios that could happen, and imagine it’s happened, so if it ever does happen, I can live with it.

Yes, I’m a real mental trooper haha

but, can we get a good definition of what the bible means by anxieties?

Does it just mean a worry that we think may happen, or is it bigger than this?
The word anxiety may well have many levels. In the red corner, we have total rib crushing paralysing fear. Then we have in the soft corner, a kind of hum that drones on as a light restlessness...that reaches for another chocolate bar when you’ve already had 6.

I hope to return to this thread after other posters have given their testimonies.

who wants to deal with worries and confusions doubts and bad experiences when we are already living in a fallen world
I imagine scenarios, the worst case scenarios that could happen, and imagine it’s happened, so if it ever does happen, I can live with it
A lot of great questions there, Via. We must keep tabs on our
spiritual pulse and not let worry overtake us. That is easy to
say but can be hard to do. The Bible says this (I don't usually post
long copy and pastes but must):

Matthew 6:25-34 (NAS)

The Cure for Anxiety

25 “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?
26 Look at the birds of the sky, that they do not sow, nor reap, nor gather crops into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more important than they?
27 And which of you by worrying can add a single day to his life’s span?
28 And why are you worried about clothing? Notice how the lilies of the field grow; they do not labor nor do they spin thread for cloth,
29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear for clothing?’
32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided to you.
34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Having thought about this post.
I realise I have t been following scripture.
I over eat, drink too much coffee, eat too much chocolate, engage in distraction in short, ...ANYTHiNG >. to stuff my anxiety back down in the cellar where I think it belongs.
I mean.... who wants to deal with worries and confusions doubts and bad experiences when we are already living in a fallen world where anything could happen.

On the other hand, I allow them to take me to the farthest edges of my mind....I imagine scenarios, the worst case scenarios that could happen, and imagine it’s happened, so if it ever does happen, I can live with it.

Yes, I’m a real mental trooper haha

but, can we get a good definition of what the bible means by anxieties?

Does it just mean a worry that we think may happen, or is it bigger than this?
The word anxiety may well have many levels. In the red corner, we have total rib crushing paralysing fear. Then we have in the soft corner, a kind of hum that drones on as a light restlessness...that reaches for another chocolate bar when you’ve already had 6.

I hope to return to this thread after other posters have given their testimonies.
I do the same thing too. I try to experience the experience in mind before it happens
and that kills the joy of the little moments. Learning to live in moments creates
a much better quality of life. However, for those who try to anticipate and
avoid negative life events rob ourselves of joyful experiences where God is
in control of whatever outcome may evolve. Being ready to act is a good thing
but trying to anticipate what may come is treacherous.

I do the same thing too. I try to experience the experience in mind before it happens
and that kills the joy of the little moments. Learning to live in moments creates
a much better quality of life. However, for those who try to anticipate and
avoid negative life events rob ourselves of joyful experiences where God is
in control of whatever outcome may evolve. Being ready to act is a good thing
but trying to anticipate what may come is treacherous.
but there's another conundrum.

who notices, that anxious thinking is quite seductive?

sometimes any thought is better than a vacuum😑

us:
in Christ Jesus.

experience

on psychology but is specific to a Scripture passage on an anxiety remedy in action.
Please, again, do not give or seek medical or psychological advice outside biblical
principle.

Rule 3.2d Due to liability concerns, CFS does not, under any circumstances, allow the posting of professional, clinical or psychological advice for members. This is especially enforced in the "Personal" posting areas. Anyone who offers professional, clinical or psychological advice may face warnings or banning from CFS and all posts will be removed. Even those persons who are licensed psychologists or therapists MAY NOT offer professional advice at the CFS Forum or by way of Private Messaging. The staff at CFS recommends that members who need answers should meet with a licensed and insured local Christian Consultant in your home area.

If I did not suffer from what you described, I just might offer some remedies.

A lot of great questions there, Via. We must keep tabs on our
spiritual pulse and not let worry overtake us. That is easy to
say but can be hard to do. The Bible says this (I don't usually post
long copy and pastes but must):

Matthew 6:25-34 (NAS)

The Cure for Anxiety

25 “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?
26 Look at the birds of the sky, that they do not sow, nor reap, nor gather crops into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more important than they?
27 And which of you by worrying can add a single day to his life’s span?
28 And why are you worried about clothing? Notice how the lilies of the field grow; they do not labor nor do they spin thread for cloth,
29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear for clothing?’
32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided to you.
34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
somehow, the bible always seems better when someone else says it...❤️

Another scripture to keep in mind:

Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (KJV)

We don't want to borrow more troubles than we already have. Today's problems and challenges are enough, God has allowed them for our good. Adding to them may distract or overwhelm us us from what God wants us to learn.

cp

Another scripture to keep in mind:

Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (KJV)

We don't want to borrow more troubles than we already have. Today's problems and challenges are enough, God has allowed them for our good. Adding to them may distract or overwhelm us us from what God wants us to learn.

cp
Amen, brother.

We also have this promise of God in any trouble or temptation.

1 Cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (KJV)

We can know then with certainty that any temptation God has allowed is not beyond our ability to deal with. It might seem like it at the time, but when we give it to God, trusting him, he helps us through any situation.

If we are going through difficult struggles then it is because God knows that we are capable of dealing with it. God knows our strengths and weaknesses. He is a loving God, and he cares far more than any human parent could for his child in need. We can be sure that God is nearby as a safety net, to offer aid when we need it.

cp

We also have this promise of God in any trouble or temptation.

1 Cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (KJV)

We can know then with certainty that any temptation God has allowed is not beyond our ability to deal with. It might seem like it at the time, but when we give it to God, trusting him, he helps us through any situation.

If we are going through difficult struggles then it is because God knows that we are capable of dealing with it. God knows our strengths and weaknesses. He is a loving God, and he cares far more than any human parent could for his child in need. We can be sure that God is nearby as a safety net, to offer aid when we need it.

cp
When the oncologist came in and told us that our 3 1/2 year old girl, who is an identical twin, had kidney cancer in both kidneys we didn't know what was happening. We were completely helpless in that situation and felt as though we were all alone. Every day during that trial was just a blur and although it was a trial we never expected or prepared for it was as though Jesus was so close. He held us up and gave us strength. No words can give the experience the brevity that is warranted for such a situation as that. But what I can tell you is that God has promised what you have cited, Chuck, and that He will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6).

When the oncologist came in and told us that our 3 1/2 year old girl, who is an identical twin, had kidney cancer in both kidneys we didn't know what was happening. We were completely helpless in that situation and felt as though we were all alone. Every day during that trial was just a blur and although it was a trial we never expected or prepared for it was as though Jesus was so close. He held us up and gave us strength. No words can give the experience the brevity that is warranted for such a situation as that. But what I can tell you is that God has promised what you have cited, Chuck, and that He will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6).
Sir, I was hoping for a page 2 where you would say your daughter received a kidney match.
God Bless you sir, and your family.
Come to think of it - could the healthy identical twin give the other a kidney?

Sir, I was hoping for a page 2 where you would say your daughter received a kidney match.
God Bless you sir, and your family.
Come to think of it - could the healthy identical twin give the other a kidney?
She is in remission and had a one kidney removed and the other
responded to treatment. Thank you for your inquiry on this and I
should have been more forthright in the finality. The whole family
gained a lot of lessons in the experience. Thank you.

us:
in Christ Jesus.

experience

principle.

I would also appreciate spiritual advice relative to anxiety suppression. I have prayed Philippians 6-9, but believe I'm missing something. Also Isaiah 26-4.
Nazarene Servant, your posts truly resonate with me; thank you.

I would also appreciate spiritual advice relative to anxiety suppression. I have prayed Philippians 6-9, but believe I'm missing something. Also Isaiah 26-4.
Nazarene Servant, your posts truly resonate with me; thank you. I did want to mention some of us have generalized anxiety, which is not caused by a situation or happening.

Nazarene Servant, your posts truly resonate with me; thank you.
I am no expert on the matter. Learning to live with it is all I can say that has helped.
I wish that I could give you a miracle potion that would suddenly make the anxiousness
disappear but I can't. Anxiousness is just part of who I am but focusing on what really
matters helps tame it. I mean that if I can keep my finger on my spiritual pulse and not
let things bother me then I can be stronger. Our relation is in our shared desperation in
a sinful world. Focus on love is all I can recommend. Anything that you makes you feel
vulnerable - flowers, birds chirping, fresh snow, kids playing, that first sip of coffee. Try to
see the moments.

***This is not professional advice and I am not a psychologist.

Back