Gifts From God

The Bible says that God gives some people the gift of performing miracles, and to the others the gift of prophecy...

How do I know if I have the gift of performing miracles? Or what was the gift?

No occult things intended... This is what the Bible said about gifts...

Hi Polly. I would concentrate on the Love of Jesus. Love is the greatest gift we can have and give. When you do this and trust everything in God the rest will come with faith. I listened to a study the other day and the minister spoke of how he was always seeing miracles happening in his life, but when he started to truly understand what the bible was saying he stopped seeing miracles and he was blessed by God to where he didn't need miracles anymore. Would you rather have a miracle here and there or God bless you where you don't need the miracle?

The Bible says that God gives some people the gift of performing miracles, and to the others the gift of prophecy...

I agree with Ceile De. The greatest gift is the love of God. There is nothing as wonderful as God's love which he gave to us as a gift. "the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23). When we love we are giving the best gift of all to each other. God created you to be a beautiful being that gives love. "For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. 14I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Polly God made you as a special unique person because He loves you and wants you to be part of His family. He loves you and wants to express His love to you. When you love God, you give him the gift of love, which makes him happy. This is better than all other gifts combined, for we all want and need to be loved.

Polly, what verses are you talking about? I looked but I'm having trouble finding them.

I'm not sure how you can tell. Personally, my wife occasionally has dreams that come true. But she also has had encounters with demons and other things. Her whole family seems to have more religious experiences than I ever have.

Give me the verses if you can remember where they are. The only verse I saw was in 1 Corinthians but I don't think that's the one you're talking about.

David

I agree with Ceile De. The greatest gift is the love of God. There is nothing as wonderful as God's love which he gave to us as a gift. "the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23). When we love we are giving the best gift of all to each other. God created you to be a beautiful being that gives love. "For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. 14I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well" (Psalm 139:13-14). Polly God made you as a special unique person because He loves you and wants you to be part of His family. He loves you and wants to express His love to you. When you love God, you give him the gift of love, which makes him happy. This is better than all other gifts combined, for we all want and need to be loved.
I agree!! Love is the greatest gift.. Also I wonder why Paul would say love is the greatest gift.. God is love... So is to be understood that Love is the greatest manifestation of working of Holy Spirit in our lives? The other reason which I think is, the other gifts will have to operate hand in hand with love.. We cannot pray for healing of a person without love! We have to feel the burden for the other person, which will come only through love.. Your thoughts on this?

Alright, I appreciate that. I would say prayer is the only way. I personally don't know what my spiritual gift is. I've never spoken in tongues, or been able understand tongues. I've never preformed miracles or been able to see things before they happen.

Do you remember your dreams? I would suggest keeping a dream journal so you can remember them. That may help to see if you have the gift of prophecy or not. If my wife sees something that hasn't happened yet it's almost always in a dream.

Personally i wouldn't recommend Polly to keep a log of dreams. After involvement in what's been going on i think the last thing she needs is to be overly thinking about dreams which are usually mish mash anyway. If anything she needs to focus on the love Jesus has for her and learning of her identity in Christ which is real and tangible. I really think her thoughts would be much better directed that way, along with reading the nible and talking to God in prayer.

I was just trying to answer her question, which no one else has done.
Understood and i respect that.. Although i think a few have mentioned that the greatest and most important thing is the love of Jesus. I'm just concerned that being concerned about dreams and trying to make sense of them would do more harm than good. I think it's important to be grounded and concentrate on reality. I see it like astrology where a person would live their life by what 'the stars" say , same with dreams.

The Bible talks about dreams a lot. It's not anything near astrology. I keep a dream journal myself just in case God decides to speak to me through them.

And Polly was asking specifically about miracles and prophecy, I believe.

That's fair enough , i just thought that that's the least Polly should be concerned with right now after all this occult stuff. I believe it thinking about dreams and logging them will only confuse. The mind is very powerful and a lot of things has happened regarding the things of the mind as far as i can gather and has affected healthy thought processes. Again i think it important to concentrate on thinking right and healthy and to not confuse oneself with dreams which usually do not make sense and have no basis in reality. In cases where dreams may mean something to people that's a different matter entirely but do you really think this is an area where Polly should be looking at ? Do you think she is going to find the answers she seeks in her dreams? And regarding astrology, probably a wrong example of me , but trying to explain that as a person can live their life by it , same as using psychics, mediums , one could be overly concerned with their dreams where it affects their waking hours and their normal day to day life.

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (Galatians 5:22, 23 NLT)

Please don't overlook the fruits of the Holy Spirit. We must first have a relationship with Jesus Christ to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. If you don't bear fruit, you're not attached to the vine, the true vine that is Jesus Christ.

It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have. (1 Corinthians 12:11 NLT)

You've got to be living a life led by the Holy Spirit. To be blunt, honest, and to the point Polly, you got some baggage weighing you down. Submit to Christ and pray.

I agree!! Love is the greatest gift.. Also I wonder why Paul would say love is the greatest gift.. God is love... So is to be understood that Love is the greatest manifestation of working of Holy Spirit in our lives? The other reason which I think is, the other gifts will have to operate hand in hand with love.. We cannot pray for healing of a person without love! We have to feel the burden for the other person, which will come only through love.. Your thoughts on this?

I think this verse tells us a lot.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

Someone can have faith without love, but as the verse says they are nothing.

I think that it is important to remember however, that our words and what they are spoken from actually creates a manifested energy. God spoke everything into existence by love and faith, so he was able to say everything was good. Likewise when we have faith combined with love, we are open to God's power being expressed through us in a much more dramatic way. The more we submit to God the more love becomes our reality. What is God's faith? His faith is in love and he never waivers from having faith in love.

We know "God is love" (1 John 4:8). If we look at a little more of the verses in 1st Corinthians 13 we actually see what that means:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

This has a close correlates with the fruit of the Spirit:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23).

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear" (1 John 4:18).

Someone can have faith and not be in fear, but not have love, but someone who has perfect love naturally has faith.

When we think about what is the healing, what is the blessing, what is the need that is met, we know that these things from God are love. So yes when we are praying with love we are actually allowing ourselves to unite to God in his perfect love through His Spirit in us and uniting with His perfect faith which is in His Spirit within us.

Back