Give us this day our daily bread

The Lord's prayer. Matt 6 and Luke 11.

"Give us this day our daily bread"

It's interesting that there is a well known translational difficulty with the greek word translated as "Daily" here...

Some translators claim its rooted in "Daily"... Others claim it really means "Supernatural". I don't generally hold wikipedia any sort of authority on scripture.. But it does offer an explanation.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiousios

I think this is pretty funny in a way... Because it's a reference to BOTH.. It's calling directly upon Manna from Heaven.... The Daily Manna was both actual real life food and Supernatural Daily Bread supplied by The Lord at the same time... This was a well known Jewish thing..... And would have been obvious to Jewish listeners...

Kinda funny how a "controversy" like this can take two completely separate paths to end up at the same destination....

I recall, John 4:34 (WEB) Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work.

Ezekiel had communication with the Lord. The Lord told him to eat the scroll he had read. Ezekiel reported the scroll was sweet like honey (Ezekiel 3). Jeremiah also reported eating a scroll that was sweet. It seems to be allegory for the words God gave were good food for them.

If one seeks first God's instruction, one may find true bread. Jesus taught, those who seek will find and those who ask will receive.

I think in this case though - Matt 6:24-34 is probably more appropriate...

There are a lot of people in this world that are more righteous than me. There are a lot of people in this world more deserving. Many people who work a lot harder than me....

And yet God blesses me daily with provision... Not only "spiritual food" - but actual physical food..

Back