God believes..

God believes..

I've prayed in tongues recently and had a rather intriguing interpretation. God told me that He Himself is believing.

Now that's nowhere literally in the bible, but when I think about it, it seems clear. God is a living God, all life that we have is from Him. For us having life means that we reason, that we believe, that we think, that we love, that we repent and all that. And it seems as of all of this is in God too.

We know that for sure when it comes to love. We love, and God loves too. God reasons, we too reason. Yeah, God is omniscient and all, but still God has thoughts. He lives.

So God also believes. He believes something to be better than something else, so God makes decisions. God believes something to be right, so He demands it from us. For example, God doesn't believe in what man does, so He demands obedience from us so that we listen to Him.

It seems really true, that God Himself is believing. Not to forget that God is a Tri-Une God of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I guess Jesus too needed faith when walking this Earth.

I’ve never thought of it that way before, and I’m sure I’ll look to see what the Bible says about it. It’s an interesting thought.
At first glance, I would have to say that God is an all knowing God and therefore has no need for any type of belief system.

As far as Jesus needing faith when he walked this earth, I would agree with that. He gave up a lot when He became human. He only did what the Father told him to do. That tells me that Jesus wasn’t all knowing when He was walking the earth as a human, but now He is all knowing and needs no belief system either.

But it does all boil down to what the Bible says, not what man says. It either needs to line up with what the Bible says or line up with Biblical principles.

I think it depends what you understand as belief. In human terms, belief means considering true. But we humans must seek the truth, for which God has no need as He is the truth and simply knows it all thoroughly, without any imperfection.

But what about rightness? How do we say something is right, and something is wrong? We humans might reason now. We say being wicked to someone is wrong because that other person is hurt then. But how do we come to this idea, why do we think it's wrong to hurt someone else? That's because we believe in love.

Why do we believe? What is this believing? It's part of us, and it's coming to us. Believing in something is always part of our life. We ALWAYS believe in something. In whatever I do. I eat a meal - I've been believing that I am hungry and that I really want to eat. I help an old lady over the street - I've been believing in charity or empathy/sympathy with old people. I go by myself something - I believe it's been necessary to have.

Believe then, is a wonderful mystery. We know something to be right, so we believe in it. It means to defend the truth, to love it, to invest myself in it, to keep it.

That is believing, and I think it is in God as well. How could it be different? How could we believe if God has no beliefs? How could we love if we think God doesn't love?

question

I've prayed in tongues recently and had a rather intriguing interpretation. God told me .....

So you understood what you were saying?

Speaking in tongues at penticost meant that others heard the words in their native language. I like if I was speaking in tongues, those who speak English would hear and understand in English, those who speak Spanish would hear and understand in Spanish, etc. and those who are not (yet) saved would not understand a would of what I said.

Today, the people I know who speak in tongues don't understand what they are saying and no one around them understands. They explain it as their soul is speaking to God.

Ginger

G4100
πιστεύω
pisteuō
pist-yoo'-o
From G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), that is, credit; by implication to entrust (especially one’s spiritual well being to Christ): - believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

H539
אמן
'âman
aw-man'
A primitive root; properly to build up or support; to foster as a parent or nurse; figuratively to render (or be) firm or faithful, to trust or believe, to be permanent or quiet; morally to be true or certain; once (in Isa_30:21; by interchange for H541) to go to the right hand: - hence assurance, believe, bring up, establish, + fail, be faithful (of long continuance, stedfast, sure, surely, trusty, verified), nurse, (-ing father), (put), trust, turn to the right.

Belief, Believe, Believers
<A-1,Verb,4100,pisteuo>
"to believe," also "to be persuaded of," and hence, "to place confidence in, to trust," signifies, in this sense of the word, reliance upon, not mere credence. It is most frequent in the writings of the Apostle John, especially the Gospel. He does not use the noun (see below). For the Lord's first use of the verb, see
Joh_1:50. Of the writers of the Gospels, Matthew uses the verb ten times, Mark ten, Luke nine, John ninety-nine. In Act_5:14 the present participle of the verb is translated "believers." See COMMIT, INTRUST, TRUST.
<A-2,Verb,3982,peitho>
"to persuade," in the Middle and Passive Voices signifies "to suffer oneself to be persuaded," e.g.,
Luk_16:31; Heb_13:18; it is sometimes translated "believe" in the RV, but not in Act_17:4, RV, "were persuaded," and Act_27:11, "gave (more) heed;" in Act_28:24, "believed." See AGREE, ASSURE, OBEY, PERSUADE, TRUST, YIELD.
Note: For apisteo, the negative of No. 1, and apeitheo, the negative of No. 2, see DISBELIEVE, DISOBEDIENT.
<B-1,Noun,4102,pistis>
"faith," is translated "belief" in
Rom_10:17; 2Th_2:13. Its chief significance is a conviction respecting God and His Word and the believer's relationship to Him. See ASSURANCE, FAITH, FIDELITY.
Note: In
1Co_9:5 the word translated "believer" (RV), is adelphe, "a sister," so 1Co_7:15; Rom_16:1; Jam_2:15, used, in the spiritual sense, of one connected by the tie of the Christian faith.
<C-1,Adjective,4103,pistos>
(a) in the Active sense means "believing, trusting;" (b) in the Passive sense, "trusty, faithful, trustworthy." It is translated "believer" in
2Co_6:15; "them that believe" in 1Ti_4:12, RV (AV, "believers"); in 1Ti_5:16, "if any woman that believeth," lit., "if any believing woman." So in 1Ti_6:2, "believing masters." In 1Pe_1:21 the RV, following the most authentic mss., gives the noun form, "are believers in God" (AV, "do believe in God"). In Joh_20:27 it is translated "believing." It is best understood with significance (a), above, e.g., in Gal_3:9; Act_16:1; 2Co_6:15; Tit_1:6; it has significance (b), e.g., in 1Th_5:24; 2Th_3:3 (see Notes on Thess. p. 211, and Gal. p. 126, by Hogg and Vine). See FAITHFUL, SURE.
Notes: (1) The corresponding negative verb is apisteo,
2Ti_2:13, AV, "believe not" RV, "are faithless," in contrast to the statement "He abideth faithful."
(2) The negative noun apistia, "unbelief," is used twice in Matthew (
Mat_13:58; Mat_17:20), three times in Mark (Mar_6:6; Mar_9:24; Mar_16:14), four times in Romans (Rom_3:3; Rom_4:20; Rom_11:20, Rom_11:23); elsewhere in 1Ti_1:13; Heb_3:12, Heb_3:19. (3) The adjective apistos is translated "unbelievers" in 1Co_6:6; 2Co_6:14; in 2Co_6:15, RV, "unbeliever" (AV, "infidel"); so in 1Ti_5:8; "unbelieving" in 1Co_7:12-15; 1Co_14:22-24; 2Co_4:4; Tit_1:15; Rev_21:8; "that believe not" in 1Co_10:27. In the Gospels it is translated "faithless" in Mat_17:17; Mar_9:19; Luk_9:41; Joh_20:27, but in Luk_12:46, RV, "unfaithful," AV, "unbelievers." Once it is translated "incredible," Act_26:8. See FAITHLESS, INCREDIBLE, UNBELIEVER.
(4) Plerophoreo, in
Luk_1:1 (AV, "are most surely believed," lit., "have had full course"), the RV renders "have been fulfilled." See FULFILL, KNOW, PERSUADE, PROOF.

Definitions from Strong and Vines Dictionaries on the biblical understanding on the word believe.

Hope this helps

But what about rightness? How do we say something is right, and something is wrong?

If we as christians take the word of God as His exact will, then we know exactly what is wrong and what is right, we dont need to rely on our feelings or beliefs.

If Gods word says something is wrong, then it is wrong whether we like it or not.

Many people take the bible to be partially inspired by God, but this is dangerous as then we have to rely on theologians to tell us what is right and what is wrong, then man becomes the judge of scripture and not scripture being the ultimate final authority.

If we as christians take the word of God as His exact will, then we know exactly what is wrong and what is right, we dont need to rely on our feelings or beliefs.

If Gods word says something is wrong, then it is wrong whether we like it or not.

I agree with you, but would add one thing....

Doing what is right also needs to be done in God's timing and by the person God wants to do it.

Sometimes we know what is right but forget to wait on the Lord.

It turns out perfect when we do what we should do when we should do it. But when we run ahead of God instead of following, we end up doing things the hard way. We usually suffer some ill consequence(s) before we see the blessings.

Ginger

Hrm... I don't see why God would have to believe anything. He knows all things. When you know everything, you don't have to "beleive," because you know...

Second, for God to believe in the righteousness of a man, is, at the very best... an appauling thought. God speaks the truth at all times, I do not see Him believing anything.

Now, for God to say, "I know that you can do it," is a different story. God can know that you can do it, and we might say that means God "beleives," in us... but it's not the same thing really. God knows. He has no reason to believe in anything.

He never gives us anything we cannot handle... so yes, God knows that we can do it. And, in fact, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. :)

Knowledge and belief are two different things. God does not believe in you in the true definition of the word believe. However, God knows that you can do it, because He would never give you more than you can handle, and He is with you.

Back