God Commanded Us To Love

God Commanded Us To Love

God Commanded Us To Love

One will find in the scriptures that the fundamental duty of man is to love God as well as to love his neighbor. Man has not understood the significance or the implications of not adhering to this duty.

The word love in itself is beyond definition and it implies different things to different people. And because of this ambiguity man has decided to apply his definition of love to God's commandment to love rather than finding out the meaning of love according to God's standards.

Man as a whole has never fully understood the word love as God defines it in His commandments and one can confirm that by simply looking at the condition of the world. People relate love to emotions and they base it on terms of feeling. The problem with this is when feeling change so does ones love. The love that God requires of man is one of will. And this love is a deliberate attitude whereas circumstances and changes in situations do not impact ones actions.

In examining the scriptures one will find that God is clear in describing how man is to love Him. And while the bible shows a broad spectrum of love the love that God requires from man is well defined and is based on obedience.

GOD COMMANDED US TO LOVE

The religious leaders were constantly questioning Jesus in order to test Him and on this occasion a lawyer asked Jesus what is the great commandment?

Matthew (22:35)Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
(36)Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus reply was the 1st great commandment was to love God and the 2nd was to love ones neighbor. These were given as a commandment for man to love.

Matthew (22:37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

(38)This is the first and great commandment.

(39)And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

One should note that by following the 1st and 2nd great commandment they will be adhering to the 10 commandments issued by Moses. If they love the Lord they won=t have any other Gods before him, or make any graven images or take his name in vain, they will remember his Sabbath and if they love their neighbor they will honor their Father and Mother and they wont kill or commit adultery or steal or bear false witness nor will they covet. This is why Jesus goes on to state that on these two commandments hang the law and the prophets. Because by fulfilling these two commandments one fulfills the law.

(40)On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus stated that these 2 commandments where the 2 great commandments however the following verses will show that these commandments were not new and that the Jews Jesus was speaking to were aware of them. These were the same ones issued to Israel by Moses.

Deuteronomy (6:5) And thy shall love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Leviticus (19:18)Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Now that it has been established that man was commanded to love one needs to examine the scriptures to get an understanding of the love required in these great commandments.In the following verses Moses is telling the Israelites that God chose them strictly out of His love for them.

Deuteronomy (7:7) The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

(8) But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

(9)
Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;

Note in verse (9) Moses states a condition that God requires in order for Him to keep covenant and have mercy. And that is an individual must love God and keep His commandments.The scriptures will show that there is only one way to love God and that is by keeping His commandments.

Note that Jesus states in the following verse that in order to love Him one has to keep His commandments.

John (14:15)
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jesus further defines the love He requires when He states in the following verse that those who have His commandments and keep them are those that love Him. One does not have to guess at Jesus definition of love He made it clear.

John (14:21)
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jesus also reinforced what was said in Deuteronomy verse (9) by adding that those that love Him will be loved by the Father. How does one love Jesus? by keeping His commandments and Moses said God will keep covenant and have mercy with those who keep His commandments.

So therefore by following Jesus one shall receive love from Him as well as mercy from the Father.

Note in these scriptures it did not say those who profess their love for Jesus or those that claim that Jesus knows what in their heart. Jesus made a clear and direct statement if one has His commandments and keeps them they are the ones who love Him.

The statement that Jesus made as well as the condition Moses gave in Deuteronomy verse (9) were based on behalf of an individuals actions not their feeling or emotions or conditions. To exhibit love towards Jesus one must engage in a specific action and that action is being obedience to the word of God. And one will see that they are to be obedient regardless of their feeling or the surrounding circumstances.​

Jesus states again in the following verses what is required of an individual to receive His love.

John (15:9)
As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

(10)
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

The above verse shows to be loved of Jesus one needs to be obedient. Jesus also states in verse (10) that He was obedient to the Father by keeping His commandments and therefore abides in His love. Now Jesus is the example man is to follow and just as He was obedient to the word of God we have to be obedient to God'
s word.

Philippians (2:5) Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

(6) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

(7)
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

(8)
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Remember Jesus walked this earth as a man and as human nature He did not want to die but he was obedient to the will of God even until death. The following verses show that Jesus dying on the cross was God'
s will.

Matthews (26:36)
Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.

(37) And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

(38)
Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

(39)
And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

God in His plan for the salvation of man had decided to offer Jesus as a sacrifice. Remember the love God requires is based on obedience not feeling or circumstances.

Verse (39) lets you know that Jesus did not feel like or want to participate in the event which was to occur and that was His crucifixion. Now certainly if there were ever a situation or circumstance that could cause an individual to be disobedient it would be the facing of ones own death.

But as stated earlier to love God means to be obedient regardless of ones feeling or circumstances. And Jesus demonstrated that love by being obedient to the will of the Father even tho it meant Him dying.

Jesus in the following verses confirms that He came to do God'
s will.

Hebrews (10:4)
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

(5)
Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

(6)
Then said I, Lo, I come ( in the volume of the book it is written of me, ) to do thy will, O God.

Isaiah gave more insight into what Jesus had to endure and in order to do God's will. Jesus endured suffering and affliction yet He remained obedience.

Isaiah (53:3)
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

(4)
Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

(5)
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

(7)
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

(8)
He was taken from prison and from judgement: and who shall declare his generation? For he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he striken.

(9)
And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Remember Jesus stated in John 15:10 that I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. Paul tells us the same thing by stating that Jesus was without sin in the following verse.

II Corinthians (5:21)
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; thay we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

By stating that Jesus was without sin Paul was saying that Jesus had kept the commandments of God because as stated in the following verse sin is the transgression of the law.

I John (3:16)
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

We know that Jesus was obedient to God's commandments because He had no sin in other words he had not disobeyed any of God's commandments.

Jesus tells us to demonstrate this same love in regards to our neighbor a love which is not based on feeling or situations but a love based on will.

Matthews (5:43) Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
(44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
(45) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
(46) For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
(47) And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
(48) Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Again the love an individual is to demonstrate is not based on feeling or situations. Jesus said to love ones enemies and to do good unto those that hate you. Jesus is saying an individual should do that which is right all the time not just when it to ones benefit or to their convenience or to their liking.Jesus stated for us to be perfect like our Father in heaven. While we know we are not perfect as human being our task is to strive to become perfect.

We need to try and acquire the mind of God when it comes to demonstrating love and adopt God
=s definition of love and not rely on mans. We need to adopt the kind of love Jesus displayed. A love based on obedience.

Ephesians (5:1)
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
(2) And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Throughout the bible scripture upon scripture tells us that man is supposed to love God and obey His commandments.

Deuteronomy (6:5)
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might

Deuteronomy (13:4)
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

Joshua (22:5)
But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the Lord charged you, to love the Lord your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.

In the following verses it states that if one professes to know Jesus and does not keep His commandments that person is a liar and the truth is not in Him but he who keeps the word of God it is he who loves Him.

I John (2:1)
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
(2) And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
(3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
(4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
(5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
(6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I John (5:1) Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

(2) By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
(3) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

II John (1:6) And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Ecclesiastes (12:13) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
(14) For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

In Revelation the last book of the bible it is still letting you know that you have to obey the commandments of God.

Revelation (22:13) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
(14) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

People profess to love Jesus all the time but remember ones love is demonstrated by ones actions. You can only show the Lord you love Him by keeping His commandments.

Matthews (15:8) This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
(9) But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Peace to all who seek the truth in Jesus name.

A reminder from the Moderator Team

Quote:
Copyright Issues
Rule 8. Any time that you "quote" someone else's works, you must be certain that there is a Copyright © Waiver or reposting authorization posted in the original source indicating that you can quote all or part of that original author's work. Text of copyright waivers, author permissions or public domain statements from source pages must accompany any copied materials that members post at CFS, at the bottom of the copied post. If you just copy and paste text randomly without regard for the Copyrighting © of that text, you bring liability issues into the equation and we at CFS will take appropriate action to keep infringement issues out of this forum.

Back