God Gives Dreams and Visions

God Gives Dreams and Visions

Joel 2:28And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Acts 2:16But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy

God can give us revelation through dreams and vision that we may not be able to receive at times in a more common way. Our carnal mind sometimes hinders us from understanding Him. He can show us a situation we are in, what we are to do or something that will happen.

All through the Bible God gave dreams and visions to His people. Here are just a few examples:

Daniel: Daniel 1:17, Daniel 2:1
Jacob: Genesis 31:11
Joseph: Matthew 1:20, Matthew 2:13
Ananias: Acts 9:10
Peter: Acts 10:17
Paul:Acts 16:9

God sometimes gives me dreams or visions as allegories illustrating scriptural truth as applied to my life and/or to the church and/or world of today. They are kind of like parables in that they illustrate a scriptural truth in a way that helps me to see how that truth is to practically be applied specifically to my life, the life of the church or to the world. God is alive and his word is living and active, and it still speaks specifically to our real situations today, so I have found that dreams or visions are just one way in which Christ will show the application he has for his word. He uses Christian songs in much the same way.

Silk <-----knows what you mean. Silly thought here - I was looking for an icon as I got tired of the question mark, I wanted one with a child angel. And you came out with the thread on Bible Study. It clicked

When I was about 17 or so, I had a dream that I came home, walked into our house and stood in the living room late at night. No one was home and the rooms were'nt in the right places, with the kitchen being through a door normally opening to the hallway. The door to this "kitchen" was open and the light was on. The lights in the rest of the house were off. I looked across the kitchen to a towel rack on the wall. It was just a board with two pegs. A hand towel hung from each peg. One of the towels began to quiver. I told it to stop(verbally or mentally..I don't remember). It just shook all the more and then the towel next to it began shaking as well. I became enraged at this yelling at the towels to stop. I started to go after them to tear them to shreds. As I was about to go through the doorway, the door slammed in my face and I couldn't open it. I then heard what sounded like two dinosaurs fighting in that kitchen. I stepped back away from the door a few steps and could see the shadows under the closed door of two beings fighting back and forth with this loud roaring as they fought. Then. Suddenly. It all stopped and the door slowly opened. Both towels lay shredded on the floor back to being just inanimate objects.

I have never shared that dream beyond a very few people. I never scripturally confirmed any meaning to the dream. I just have always thought the dream was God's way of saying.."Stay back. I got this. These are My fights." I thought of the towels as the fakery and deception of Satan's power and that we are not to try and take him on alone. Is this scriptural....I have lived decades with that interpretation.

Strangely enough, while reading your dream, when you heard the two "dinosaurs" fighting - I thought of the fight of good versus evil. In the fight against evil, it is only through God, you can defeat it. I don't know what was going on at that time in your life but I would say that you caught the meaning pretty well. I have found the symbols and situations in our dreams are totally personal to us. And I find that my dreams often have three levels - personal, localized (friends and family, and global. Can't help you with any scripture other than that already given in the thread but I do think some dreams have more meaning than others.

Back