God helps those who help themselves - is it in the Bible?

Jeffin

Webmaster
Staff member
Helper
God helps those who help themselves - is it in the Bible?

"God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted Bible verse that actually is not in the Bible. In fact the Bible teaches the opposite. God helps the helpless! Isaiah 25:4 declares, "For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat..." Romans 5:6 tells us, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."
In terms of salvation, we are all utterly helpless. We are all infected by sin (Romans 3:23), and condemned as a result of that sin (Romans 6:23). Nothing we can do on our own can remedy this situation (Isaiah 64:6). We are helpless! Thankfully, God is the helper of the helpless. While we were still sinners (helpless), Jesus died for us (Romans 5:8). Jesus paid the penalty that we were helpless to pay (2 Corinthians 5:21). God provided the "help" that we need precisely because we could not help ourselves.

Apart from salvation, there is perhaps a way that the concept "God helps those who help themselves" is correct. As as example, if you asked me to help you move a piece of furniture, but then just watched me as I moved the furniture for you...I was not actually helping you. I was would be doing the work for you. Many Christians fall into the trap of inactivity. Many Christians ask God for help, but then expect God to do everything Himself. They excuse this by pointing to the fact that God will provide according to His will and in His timing. However, this is not a reason for inactivity. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. While it is in His power to do so, it is highly unlikely that God will cause employers to come looking for you!

Does God help those who help themselves? In regards to salvation - no. No one is capable of helping themselves. God has provided for our salvation through Jesus Christ. We are utterly helpless in achieving our own salvation. In regards to the Christian life - sometimes yes. God will help us to accomplish His will in and through our lives...but God expects us to be active and energetic while seeking to accomplish His will. God rarely "helps" a person who is unwilling to participate in the process.

Got Qestions

Gotta Do Something!

God made us for 'good'
works to be done in the Name of the Lord!

Eph:2:10: For we are his workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God
hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

He wants us to exhibit 'industry' and not laziness
or slothfulness! Proverbs has a lot to say about a
'slothful' man vs. an industrious one.

Proverb:14:23: In all labour there is profit:
but the talk of the lips tendeth only to [need] penury.

God Bless!
Joe

God hlelps those who help themselves

That phrase is not in the Bible. It was authored by Benjamin Franklin in "Poor Richard's Almanac".

I'm told that Franklin was a Theist (he believed in God), but he did not believe that God involved Himself deeply in the affairs of men.

SLE

Back