God is Good, The Enemy is Evil

God is not measured against another standard and found to pass. God IS the standard.

Good is good in so much as it is consistent with God and His purposes. It is important not to hold that God is good because of all the good things he does for us. The problem being that saying God is good because of the good things He does means that there is a higher standard than God that is called Good that God is measured by. While God IS good, and He DOES do great things for us, His goodness is not measured by our comfort and happiness. The goodness of our comfort and joy is measured by its basis in our relationship with God.

In a similar manner, in the final analysis, Evil is not Evil because of how it affects us or how terrible it may make our life (even if it does). Evil is evil exactly to the extent that it is something other than what the sovereign God has planned. Evil is just as evil if it is making life more enjoyable and giving us times of enjoyment.

One may consider a disaster or calamity to be evil. But this is a man centered view. Consider Moses leading Israel between the parted waters, and then drowning pharaoh's army. I'm certain that the army thought that was evil, and so did their families. In this case that disaster was caused by God, and I would be circumspect about terming it evil. One can then meditate on judging God by the effects of hurricanes, floods, and natural great fires.

By the way, those of your who recognize me here may have noticed that I do not usually mention Satan by name, I do use the term devils as a class of being, but I seldom use the term The Devil (a specific one of devils). This is not a matter of superstition so much as a choice. We must continue to remember that people around us are not our enemies. They may have a different world view whether political or spiritual, or social; but that does not make them our enemy, just someone with whom we disagree. Unless the basis of our world view is ourselves rather than our Lord, we should not take it personally.

But Satan is our enemy. He will with malice of fore-thought and planning entice unbelievers away from the Lord, and while he cannot separate the believer from entry into the Kingdom, he can defeat us in terms of making the rest of our mortal life of no consequence.

Interesting thoughts
It reminds me of what Joseph said, about his brothers, what you intended for evil, God meant it for good.
Lots of bad things happened to Joseph...but God had a greater purpose behind it.

Another story I'm reminded in the bible is the 3 friends in the fiery furnace. Of course a horrible thing to have to go into. But God was there even in that instance.
Or how about Daniel in the lion's den. Even the King didn't want to shut him in there. But Daniel came out unscathed.

And of course our ultimate example, Jesus on the cross, dying for us. An innocent man, killed for the evil other people did. Just horrible, painful, humiliating way to die. But God turned that around and intended it for good. Jesus rose again!

In large bodies of knowledge it is important to organize the information. Without some kind of organization it becomes a random collection of facts and personal views with no structure. When the information is organized, we can see how one piece sheds light and provides context for others,

In my view, knowledge about God, Jesus, and the Spirit as well as knowledge of the enemy starts with and is built upon on who God is.

Even our knowledge of the enemy is not stand-alone but is understood as a fundamental sharp contrast with God. God could conceivably exist without the enemy, but the enemy could never have existed. His being is now defined by his rebellion from God.

In a similar way, the Old Testament pictures of Christ (often termed 'types' of Christ) are rooted in who Christ is (and not the other way around). Christ is not understood to be a type of Jonah, but Jonah was a fore shadowing of Christ. Christ is the archetype and the Old Testament views are only realized and understood when one sets Christ in the center.

In large bodies of knowledge it is important to organize the information. Without some kind of organization it becomes a random collection of facts and personal views with no structure. When the information is organized, we can see how one piece sheds light and provides context for others,

In my view, knowledge about God, Jesus, and the Spirit as well as knowledge of the enemy starts with and is built upon on who God is.

Even our knowledge of the enemy is not stand-alone but is understood as a fundamental sharp contrast with God. God could conceivably exist without the enemy, but the enemy could never have existed. His being is now defined by his rebellion from God.

In a similar way, the Old Testament pictures of Christ (often termed 'types' of Christ) are rooted in who Christ is (and not the other way around). Christ is not understood to be a type of Jonah, but Jonah was a fore shadowing of Christ. Christ is the archetype and the Old Testament views are only realized and understood when one sets Christ in the center.

Excellent information!

I agree with you Siloam...
I had a great imaginary stage play a few weeks ago after reading the story of Job, and in it I envisioned what satan knew about me, I envisioned Satan chatting with God about me, and Satan saying...
“Hey God, I know why via dolarossa loves you”
And God said “ oh yeh, why?”
And Satan said, “because you Only give her good things “
I laughed to my self and thought...
How true! But, that’s kinda normal, I’m only human. With a human kind of love.

but now I am aware of Gods discipline...
It stings and hurts sometimes...it’s realistic and scary.
Is that bad? Evil even?

I used to think so but not anymore, as I see the quality of the connection I have toward Him. Which is all that counts

I had originally planned a more extensive post, with subsequent entries to expand along planned lines.

The upshot was to be discussing a framework of Ideas relating general revelation (God revealed in His universe) and special revelation (God's interaction with Man, which is revealed in scripture and canonized in the Bible). My thesis was to be that both need to be rooted in and draw from God.

Along the way, I intended to make some points about the roots of concepts vs their expression, which is why I included the observation regarding type and archetypes.

It all became overly detailed and complex and no longer fit this site, which seems to me to be more about the Christian life from essentially personal day to day viewpoint.

I had originally planned a more extensive post, with subsequent entries to expand along planned lines.

The upshot was to be discussing a framework of Ideas relating general revelation (God revealed in His universe) and special revelation (God's interaction with Man, which is revealed in scripture and canonized in the Bible). My thesis was to be that both need to be rooted in and draw from God.

Along the way, I intended to make some points about the roots of concepts vs their expression, which is why I included the observation regarding type and archetypes.

It all became overly detailed and complex and no longer fit this site, which seems to me to be more about the Christian life from essentially personal day to day viewpoint.

Personally.......I would encourage you to proceed with your production. It is a wonderful theology to discuss and learn.

Psalms 19:1-4.........
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”

According to this passage, God’s existence and power can be clearly seen through observing the universe. The order, intricacy, and wonder of creation speak to the existence of a powerful and glorious Creator.

Special revelation is how God has chosen to reveal Himself through miraculous means. Special revelation includes physical appearances of God, dreams, visions, the written Word of God, and most importantly—Jesus Christ. There are just too many examples in the Scriptures to list all of them.

By the way, those of your who recognize me here may have noticed that I do not usually mention Satan by name, I do use the term devils as a class of being, but I seldom use the term The Devil (a specific one of devils). This is not a matter of superstition so much as a choice. We must continue to remember that people around us are not our enemies. They may have a different world view whether political or spiritual, or social; but that does not make them our enemy, just someone with whom we disagree. Unless the basis of our world view is ourselves rather than our Lord, we should not take it personally.
This is powerful and so true, the real evil are the demons and not people. Demons manifest themselves through people, its how they make themselves known to culture and the world. They do a good job of keeping themselves (demons) hidden from society, that way no body attacks them and fights back.

I thought demons were just negative beliefs...
Like strongholds?
I’m not sure but if anyone can correct me..
( hopefully not to derail Siloams thread maybe we could have a discussion on them as I’m curious🧐

Like strongholds?
( hopefully not to derail Siloams thread maybe we could have a discussion on them as I’m curious🧐

Demons are fallen angels. The traditional view is that about one third of the angels are fallen, i.e. demons.

Like strongholds?

Sometimes one's personal views, particularly where the thoughts seem to obsessively take over in ones mind rather than the mind controlling the thoughts, is called having personal demons. This is informal (colloquial) use that is derived from the root meaning of demon as a fallen spiritual being.

As far as taking a thread in a new direction, I do not personally mind. I am here to hear and share thoughts with others and sometimes someones 'side track' becomes a key in the conversation.

Well demons DO influence people to think negatively.
They are not just negative beliefs though because otherwise Jesus would have just said to the afflicted people all you have to do is think positive!

He couldn't have cast out any demons and sent them into pigs he could have just said to the man who kept cutting himself and throwing himself into the fire, STOP believing badly about yourself and just raise your self esteem! Isn't it a nice day at the cemetery?!

Well demons DO influence people to think negatively.
They are not just negative beliefs though because otherwise Jesus would have just said to the afflicted people all you have to do is think positive!

He couldn't have cast out any demons and sent them into pigs he could have just said to the man who kept cutting himself and throwing himself into the fire, STOP believing badly about yourself and just raise your self esteem! Isn't it a nice day at the cemetery?!

It has been observed that Biblically the sources of temptation are:
1. The Devil including his minions ( demons )
2. The Flesh ( our individual selfishness )
3. The World ( man corporately - our society )

I think that the same sources can be linked to negative thoughts (It's another aspect of the same dynamic).

I note that two of the three are ourselves.

There are two equally wrong ways of dealing with the enemy, (and our sin whether stemming from evil beings, or our inner selfishness).

The first wrong way of dealing is to ignore or minimize the danger and its effects on each of us spiritually.

The second wrong way of dealing is to obsess about it, making it central in our thoughts.

The enemy can and will use either.

We must continually choose to concentrate on our Lord, and our relationship with Him.

Last edited by a moderator:

That sounds like some very good reading & discussing... Learning and growing is good for all of us.

Job is one to read about a person afflicted by Satan, when he was righteous and supposedly did nothing wrong. But what he didn't realise was by boasting he had done no sin and nothing wrong, he was being SELF-righteous, which is wrong in God's eyes!

We can't do anything without God. Otherwise we would be God. And there is only one God (praise His name!) who can do absolutely anything.

It has been observed that Bionically the sources of temptation are:
1. The Devil including his minions ( demons )
2. The Flesh ( our individual selfishness )
3. The World ( man corporately - our society )

I think that the same sources can be linked to negative thoughts (It's another aspect of the same dynamic).

I note that two of the three are ourselves.

There are two equally wrong ways of dealing with the enemy, (and our sin whether stemming from evil beings, or our inner selfishness).

The first wrong way of dealing is to ignore or minimize the danger and its effects on each of us spiritually.

The second wrong way of dealing is to obsess about it, making it central in our thoughts.

The enemy can and will use either.

We must continually choose to concentrate on our Lord, and our relationship with Him.

I would suggest that we are all much like King David and his steps to sin are much like what you just posted.

1st he SAW Bathsheba.
2nd he INQUIRED who she was.
3rd, he TOOK what he saw and found out about.

Those 3 steps lead to adultery, lying and murder.

By the way... I hope people recognize that what was posted as 'Bionically' started out as 'Biblicaly'.

I checked the file where I composed it, ad it was correct there. Someplace in between when I copied it and posted it it was "auto spell corrected":oops:

You mean it had nothing to do with the 6 million dollar man???????

Back