Godly Sorrow

2 Corinthians 7:8-10
8 I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while.
9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways.
10 For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death. [NLT]

1. We've all experienced sorrow in one form or another - like the Corinthians did when they received Paul's harsh letter. The Corinthians had a choice to either get offended at the letter or believe what Paul wrote and repent - and they repented. When we go through sorrows in life, we will face two such choices - either we get offended at God for allowing the sorrow to happen or we ask Him to reveal the sin in our lives and repent and change our ways.

2. Worldly sorrow is when we refuse to acknowledge our mistakes and get angry at God, and this leads to spiritual death. Godly Sorrow is to find the mistake in our lives that is causing us pain and to repent. This leads us away from sin and into salvation! Amen. :)

*Notice how Paul acknowledges that his previous letter was painful to the people in Corinth. In the same way, facing our sorrows will be painful for a season, but with sincere repentance God will take us out of it and into peace. On the flip side, if we choose to run from our sorrows and reject repentance - we might be pain-free for a while but we will never find peace.

2 Cor 7:11
11 Just see what this godly sorrow produced in you! Such earnestness, such concern to clear yourselves, such indignation, such alarm, such longing to see me, such zeal, and such a readiness to punish wrong. You showed that you have done everything necessary to make things right. [NLT]

3. Godly Sorrow bears good fruit. (y)

Dear brothers and sisters don't be discouraged when you experience sorrows. Our response determines the nature of the sorrow, so let us benefit from Godly Sorrows and be quick to repent and change our ways. And it is a blessing to have sorrows because they keep us honest and humble. :love:

Matthew 5:3-4
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for
theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for
they shall be comforted.
[KJV]

Last edited:
Back