God's 10 Commandments do I have to keep them?

God's 10 Commandments do I have to keep them?

Do we keep the 10 commandments or have we done away with any of the 10 commandments.

Many people start of right becoming sitetracked in their thinking and still start doing works of righteousness to gain God's favor.(love)

But you may say the bible teaches that the law is spiritual Rom 7:14 , yet Paul wrote to the Galatians

Gal 3:3 Are you so foolish {and} so senseless {and} so silly? Having begun [your new life spiritually] with the [Holy] Spirit, are you now reaching perfection [by dependence] on the flesh?

Still many people do so.

More about 10 commandments goto

http://home.hetnet.nl/~antoonwierda/sermons/tenc.htm

Read also Galatians 2:16
GOD BLESS! Antoon

of course you have to keep them! Being christian is abiding by God's ruls. How can you have a healthy relationship when you are blocked with sin. Breaking the commandments is sinning. And as Jesus said many times, he is not here to change the previous prophet's messages, just to add to them.

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
"Which ones?" the man inquired.
Jesus replied, " `Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,'D and `love your neighbor as yourself.'E"
"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. (Matthew 19:16-22)

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus replied: " `Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.'All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."(Matthew 22:34-40)

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." (John 14:21)

A believer now has not only to believe and obey the 10 commandments but also every teaching in the Word Of God in the New Testament.

I feel that God's only rule to us as Christians is to Love One Another. Following this "law" covers the rest (ie. the 10 commandments)

However following Mosaic Law is not required of us anymore.(Romans 7:1)

I also feel that the law is Holly and Good so they are good for those that our LOST to use as a gage. (Romans 7:12),

As reference to Matt 5:17 - (Jesus came to fulfill the law not condem it.) It is talking about Jesus dying for our sins for we as sinners can not up hold Mosaic Law, we must rely on him. I feel that if Israel had told God we can not follow these 10 commandments of yours, we need help. God would have said, "Your right, you get it." Instead we spend (myself included) our lives follwoing or attempting to follow these laws that cloud our minds (Colossians 2:16)

I feel the law was given to show our sins and have us rely on Chirst (Galations 3:19)

AS for following the 10 Commandments, Following " Love one another" is #1.

Not posted to offend, but to learn from your replys.

Thanks.

"Do you not listen to the law?"

Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not listen to the law? Galatians 4:21 (ESV)

Romans 6:14 (ESV)
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Galatians 3:10-13 (ESV)
For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them." [11] Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith." [12] But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them." [13] Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree"—

Galatians 3:24-25 (ESV)
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. [25] But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

Galatians 5:1 (ESV)
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

Galatians 5:13 (ESV)
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Romans 7:1-14 (ESV)
[1] Or do you not know, brothers-for I am speaking to those who know the law-that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? [2] Thus a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage. [3] Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.

[4] Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. [5] For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. [6] But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

[7] What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet." [8] But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. Apart from the law, sin lies dead. [9] I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. [10] The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. [11] For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. [12] So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

[13] Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. [14] For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.

2 Cor. 3:7-18 (ESV)
[7] Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end, [8] will not the ministry of the Spirit have even more glory? [9] For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory. [10] Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it. [11] For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory.

[12] Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, [13] not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. [14] But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. [15] Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. [16] But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. [17] Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. [18] And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT MOSES LAW!!!

Moses law are the ceremonial laws, not the ten commandments which GOD wrote with his own finger!

"And he gave unto Moses ... two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God." "And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables." Exodus 31:18; 32:16.

Are God's law and Moses' law the same?

Ceremonial sacrifices and rituals pointed forward to Jesus' sacrifice.
No, they are not the same. Study the following notes and comparison carefully.

Note: Moses' law was the temporary, ceremonial law of the Old Testament. It regulated the priesthood, sacrifices, rituals, meat and drink offerings, etc., all of which foreshadowed the cross. This law was added "till the seed should come," and that seed was Christ (Galatians 3:16, 19). The ritual and ceremony of Moses' law pointed forward to Christ's sacrifice. When He died, this law came to an end, but the Ten Commandments (God's law) "stand fast for ever and ever." Psalms 111:8. That there are two laws is made crystal clear in Daniel 9:10, 11.

Special Note: Please note that God's law has existed at least as long as sin has existed. The Bible says, "Where no law is, there is no transgression [or sin]." Romans 4:15. So God's Ten Commandment law existed from the beginning. Men broke that law (sinned--1 John 3:4). Because of sin (or breaking God's law), Moses' law was given (or "added"--Galatians 3:16, 19) till Christ should come and die. Two separate laws are involved: God's law and Moses' law.

Can God's law (the Ten Commandments) ever be changed or abolished?

The cross is positive proof that the law is unchangeable. "It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail." Luke 16:17. "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psalms 89:34. "All his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever." Psalms 111:7, 8

It is no more possible to change God's law than to pull God out of heaven and change Him. Jesus came to show us what the law (which is the pattern for holy living) looked like when made up in human form. God's character can never change. Neither can His law, for it is His character in human language.

Jesus is the law in human form. When He is in the heart, keeping the law becomes a pleasure.
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law. ... I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. ... Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:17, 18.

But isn't a Christian who has faith and is living under grace freed from keeping the law?
A governor's pardon forgives a prisoner, but does not give him freedom to break one single law.
"For sin [breaking God's law--1 John 3:4] shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin [break the law], because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." Romans 6:14, 15. "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Romans 3:31.

No! The Scriptures teach the very opposite. Grace is like the governor's pardon to a prisoner. It forgives him, but it does not give him freedom to break one single law on the statute books. The forgiven person, living under grace, is under double obligation to keep the law. A person who refuses to keep God's law, saying that he is living under grace, is mistaken. He is living under disgrace.

YES THE LAW IS SUMMED UP IN ONE WORD: LOVE!
Because ALL THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ARE ABOUT LOVE:
They were written on two stone-tables

1-4: LOVE GOD
5-10: LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR

The law is summed up in those two like Jesus said, but they were NOT abolished!!
The ten commandments are eternal, loving commandments!

"This is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3.

A COMFORTING WERSE FOR THOSE WHO FEEL DISCOURAGED:
He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."
Philippians 1:6.

Read more in the study guide: Written in stone + Is obediance legalism
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/study_guides.asp

LA Girl,

You have a point with the Moses Law statement. I dont know enough to argue that point. I will read on which is what this is all about right? ;)

However, I still stand that Jesus "fullfilled" that law by dying for our sins. Therefore we do follow the 10 commandments, we do it by faith and love not by a set of "rules" to follow. I am def not "aboloshing" the commandments!

In short I guess what I am saying is I dont focus on "rules" and check lists to follow, I focus on God and allowing him work in my life. Christianity is about Freedom and as we grow in Chirst we become more free to allow God to operate in our lives.

Thanks

Hi Freedom!

I agree with you that we should follow the commandments out of love and not as a heavy burden. But I think that when we see what Jesus did for us on the cross, his price was so high and his love so unimaginable, that we should follow the ten commandments out of love for Him. "If you LOVE me, keep my commandments".

The more we grow in relationship with Jesus, the more we get to know Him and the more we want to obey Him out of love. We can never earn salvation, that is pureley a gift of grace, BUT if we LOVE Him we also obey Him. Also the commandments are given to protect us just as parents give their children rules to protect them from harm and suffering. They are given because God loves us!

Hope this made some sense...:D

ALSO: Yes Jesus FULFILLED the law, but he did not abolish it. FULFILLING means FILL IN, NOT REMOVE.
THE LAW (10 commandments) AND JESUS SACRIFICE GOES HAND IN HAND.
It was Moses handwriting (Moses law) that were nailed to the cross, not the ten commandments.

In the OT they had to sacrifice clean animals (lambs) for their sins, after Jesus died, he is our lamb. Every time we sin we should think about how much it really hurts God and think about what price Jesus had to pay for us sinners because of our sins. I think that we should try to get to the stage where we would rather die than willfully and knowingly hurt God with our sins.

I would stronlgly advice everyone to watch this video-clip:
WRITTEN IN STONE:
http://www.amazingfacts.org/resources/video/NRVideo/NR06.asx

God gives us a choice, we have a free will to choose either:
1.Gods rules and eternal life
2.The Devil's rules (sin) and death.
(not eternal torture in hell)

Back