God's Perfect Hatred

God's Perfect Hatred

The Lord is a God of Love, but also a God of Wrath.

Too common is the myth that God "hates the sin but loves the sinner." This is a lie! As evident in the scriptures, there are some instances when God hates not merely the sin itself, but the individual who commits the wicked deed. Yes, it is true that our God is a God of Love; indeed, His Love is beyond our comprehension, yet He is also a God of Hate, and His Hatred is Holy!

The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. (Psalm 5:5)

As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. (Romans 9:13-15)

The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. (Psalm 11:5)

All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters. (Hosea 9:15)

And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. (Leviticus 20:23)

Many will say, "I cannot agree!" But it is true nonetheless. To those who disagree, I offer this challenge: if I am wrong, the burden of refuting the passages of scripture posted above rests upon your shoulders. Good luck.

Too common is the myth that God "hates the sin but loves the sinner." This is a lie! As evident in the scriptures, there are some instances when God hates not merely the sin itself, but the individual who commits the wicked deed.

I believe there is nothing we can do to make God HATE us. If God hates ALL the sinners then we are all hated because we all fall short....God is the only one that is Good. Heck he (God) loves sinners (us) so much he sent his son to die for our sins, he paid our price....he died for the sinners not the righteous. Thank goodness for this new covenant.

All praise to God and his infinite love, forgiveness and mercy.

This isn't to say that there aren't consequences for sin, he gave us his law and will judge by his word.

God does declare himself a jealous God.
He wants us to put nothing before him.
True, we all sin but some sin is in ignorance and some is purposely done.
The latter would be the foolish and the wicked.
You cannot serve God and the world too.
He will not accept that.
If we are not serving him and purposely sinning, we are rejecting Christ.
Doesn't the Bible say he will, in turn, reject us?
I am talking about on judgement day~

God never said He hates your everyday sinner, the unsaved individual. He hates the workers of iniquity. Iniquity, while described in the dictionary as "a gross injustice" or "wicked sin" is not just that.

There is sin - doign wrong, falling short of the glory of God.
There is rebellion - knowing what is right, but sinning anyway for the pleasure.
Then there is iniquity - More like "twisting" or "warping" to say that the sin commited was not sin at all, throwing it in God's face and saying "this isn't sin!" knowing full well it is.

Homosexuality is a sin, but the group out there saying it's a perfectly acceptable lifestyle is a group living in iniquity. Woe to those who not only practice, but teach iniquity, for the teachers of iniquity are going to be in a BAD spot at the judgement.

So I do believe one can get on God's "hate list", but the faith of a believer would keep them from even wanting to do the things to get them there. Your conscience would tear you apart, and if you continued in the iniquity until your conscience was seared, then you are not saved.

Even then, redemption is possible, however. The only unpardonable sin is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit, which I believe to mean the complete rejection of God's call on ones life. The unforgivable sin being to ignore the Holy Spirit as He tries to work in you for the sake of continuing ones path of sin.

Then there is iniquity - More like "twisting" or "warping" to say that the sin commited was not sin at all, throwing it in God's face and saying "this isn't sin!" knowing full well it is.

This is what I felt the people at my work were doing to me. They seemed to be justifying hatred and revenge as though they had a right to do it and seemed to keep a clear conscience about it by the display their attitude. The Christian doesn't have the right to take revenge or..."payback"...as they call it. The Christian must turn to God in prayer for strength and courage to continue on when they are mistreated.

The only unpardonable sin is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit, which I believe to mean the complete rejection of God's call on ones life. The unforgivable sin being to ignore the Holy Spirit as He tries to work in you for the sake of continuing ones path of sin.

Realistically, the only unforgivable sin is unbelief. The person that would blaspheme the Holy Spirit is already an unbeliever and would remain an unbeliever by a hardening of the heart where they would never seek forgiveness, otherwise God would forgive.

I believe that Christ himself said that a house divided against itself can not stand, when he cast the demons (legion) out of the man into the pigs. If this is the case, how can God be a God of love and a God of hate?

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with your interpretation of those verses, for God came to save ALL sinners, of which I am the worst (1 Timothy).

I believe that Christ himself said that a house divided against itself can not stand, when he cast the demons (legion) out of the man into the pigs. If this is the case, how can God be a God of love and a God of hate?

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with your interpretation of those verses, for God came to save ALL sinners, of which I am the worst (1 Timothy).

If you don't mind me asking, how can God be both fully man and fully God, at the same time?

What is never having a beginning or end like?

There are things our gray matter isn't allowed to understand. Here are some of his words:

Proverbs 6:16-19 NIV
There are six things the LORD hates,
seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

Hosea 9:15 NIV

"Because of all their wickedness in Gilgal,
I hated them there.
Because of their sinful deeds,
I will drive them out of my house.
I will no longer love them;
all their leaders are rebellious.

Leviticus 20:23 NIV
You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them.

Psalm 11:5 NIV
The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates

To be certain, God is vengefull. I am paying for sins in ways I never thought possible. My life is in shambles. I fully believe that despite God's attempt to save me, he's also making it clear how angry he is with me.

WasLost (feeling StillLost)

God never said He hates your everyday sinner, the unsaved individual. He hates the workers of iniquity. Iniquity, while described in the dictionary as "a gross injustice" or "wicked sin" is not just that.

There is sin - doign wrong, falling short of the glory of God.
There is rebellion - knowing what is right, but sinning anyway for the pleasure.

We are in agreement. Biblically, it is clear (generally speaking) that the Lord loves the unsaved. His hatred is directed toward a select few. So who is hated by God? To my knowledge, there is only one instance where an individual is mentioned in the scriptures as being hated by God. That would be Esau. The Canaanites were also hated. Surely, it was their sacrifice of human infants to Molech which kindled the wrath of God.

My point here is to demonstrate that the Lord does hate some people. But as I predicted there are a few people in this thread who cannot agree. They are taking issue not with me, but with the scriptures.

- PreachingTruth

To be certain, God is vengefull. I am paying for sins in ways I never thought possible. My life is in shambles. I fully believe that despite God's attempt to save me, he's also making it clear how angry he is with me.

I know what you are feeling. Often, I am overwhelmed by what I have done. I must remind myself that I have repented and am therefore forgiven. There should be no guilt. When there is, I ask the Lord to relieve me of it. Leave your burden at the Cross, my friend. Christ took care of it 2000 years ago. :)

Of course, there are consequences to our sins, and God will sometimes punish us. But He punishes His children in Love, not hate. In the same way a parent punishes their child for example.

That's Satan talking to you. Satan wants you to feel afraid of the Man on the cross shedding his life and blood, not to point a finger at you, he's doing it uncomplainingly out of the highest love and compassion that only our Lord can have. And he's doing it for *you*. He had you in mind when he was hanging painfully on that cross. He wants you to be with him were he is. More than that, he did what he did so you could be free and also have his peace in you.

God wants the highest freedom and enjoyment for his creation; for all of us.

Now....separate discipline from punishment. God disciplines those he loves. He knows exactly and precisely what is best for us. Anything we would love to have he would give if it were good for us; if it were not harmful to us. If we weren't corrupt in our natural selves there would be no need for discipline. But, as a child is wayward, we, in our natural selves, require direction.

God's discipline can be painful at times, I know for myself how deeply in distress I can become at the painful trials I have faced.

Look at it this way: If you are a Christian...you certainly sound like one...who's going through trials...you are clothed with a perfect, holy and innocent person: Jesus Christ. God sees the Son when he looks at a Christian. He can no more punish one of us Christians than he could punish his own, holy, Son. But he can, and does, discipline. Here are just a few of many verses of encouragement that Jesus has to offer us:

EDIT
Also, in Christ, your sins have been forgiven, every single one of them. There is no sin too big, for a believer, that Jesus can't forgive. Now....here's the hard part:

He wants you to put your sins in the past; to completely forget about them; to never bring them up again. I told ya it was the hard part. But that's his will. He wants your conscience to be completely free of guilt; to rejoice in him and sing in your heart to him. Let your heart resound, right now, even in the midst of your pain, with song and praise for him from a heart that is glad to be free, forgiven and sincere.

1 Pet 4:12-13 NIV
Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Deut 8:2-3 NIV
Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you... to teach you that man does not live by bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

James 1:12 NIV
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the victor's crown, the life God has promised to those who love him.

1 Pet 1:6 NIV
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.

Rom 5:3-5 NIV
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Rev 2:10 NIV
"Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life."

As a christian there is love- you are either in Christ or out of Christ- judgement begins at the house of God because God judges the sins, unrenewed thoughts and lifestyles that seperate us from intimacy with Him - freedom to enjoy His fellowship and blessing is our judgement and I thank God for every second of conviction He gives me.
As far as the world- He has a merciful heart and desires that all would seek Him amd be saved but those who choose to live their lives without Him will reap accordingly-yes He loves the sinner, we know that because He sent His Son for them-In Christ or out- that is the most important decision a man can make-In His Name Larry

myth that God "hates the sin but loves the sinner." This is a lie!

I believe that God does hate sin obviouly, but I believe that he does hate sinners who dont know any better life than just to continue in sin. How would God hate a sinner who dosent know any other way? I do believe that God Hates sinners who sin but to know better....if that makes sense.
Other than that Nice Post!

We were all sinners but He loved us - only those who choose to stay outside His grace will know His wrath-

To those who refuse to believe that the Lord hates anyone, I ask, what is your explanation of the verses posted above?

Does the Lord hate the Devil?

Anyone who chooses to reject God will find themselves in the position of being detested (hated) by God- no denying that- when it comes to a christian it has no apllication but a person who rejects Christ and His sacrifice of love will find themselves in just that position.

Back