God's Sense of Humor

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
God's Sense of Humor

:)

There are some persons who are so caught up in God's Word from a very serious and traditional aspect, that they sometimes can not appreciate the fact that God has a sense of humor.

Several examples come to mind, but my favorite is in Daniel 5 (KJV):

These old boys were really having a good time - drunk and carrying on, when the King himself saw a HAND scribing something on the wall. The King became so frightened of this that he wet himself [ Daniel 5:6 (KJV) ] and shook all over. Oh, what a sight that would have been - to be there when King Belshazzar couldn't handle the situation... I chuckle every time I read those passages. In the end, after Daniel had translated the "handwrighting on the wall...MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PERES, UPHARSIN," the King realized his fate and was slain that very night. We are all held responsible for our actions, whether godly or as a sinner, and the King, after soiling himself, certainly got his just rewards for his hardened heart and his idol worship rather than a reverence for God...

I always find humor in this..

Jesus said to them, "Watch out! Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!" They began to discuss this among themselves and said, "We didn't take any bread." Knowing this, Jesus said, "You who have little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you don't have any bread? Don't you understand yet? Don't you remember the five loaves for the 5,000 and how many baskets you collected, or the seven loaves for the 4,000 and how many baskets you collected? How can you fail to understand that I wasn't talking to you about bread? Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees!"
Matthew 16:6-11

Imagine... Yeshua and the disciples about to get out of the boat... and he turns around all serious and says "beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and the Sadducees". Then the disciples looking all worried cause they think he's talking about baking recipies haha! I could just imagine a frustrated Yeshua going "Oy vey! :rolleyes: Not BREAD!"

Shalom

I am always reminded of God's sense of humor when I realize He chose to use people like me -LOL!

!!! lol !!! great thread.. thanks for the laughs.....

I think of Paul's reputation for being a little long winded in his sermons... and other pastors out there!! take courage....if people fell asleep listening to Paul its no great slight to you if the same thing happens!! lol anyways...

Acts 20:9-12 (ESV) 9 And a young man named Eutychus, sitting at the window, sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer. And being vercome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. 10 But Paul went down and bent over him, and taking him in his arms, said, "Do not be alarmed, for his life is in him." 11 And when Paul had gone up and had broken bread and eaten, he conversed with them a long while, until daybreak, and so departed. 12 And they took the youth away alive, and were not a little comforted."

of course the act itself is not funny... how terrible (and not very smart!!) to have picked a window to st in and let yourself fall asleep!!! but the aftermath must have been a bit funny to those involved...... and how very embarrassing to Eutychus himself! I bet he was never able to.... well... live that down ;)

another example is the proud King Nebuchadnezzar being forced to eat grass like a wild beast!!! The Lord could have chosen any number of ways to humble him... that He chose the means He did says to me that He must have a great sense of humor....

.... and as Boanerges said, that he uses people like me, just like he chose to use Balaam's ass, shows a great sense of humor!!

blessings,
Ken

For our Administrator, Jeff, near Melbourne -

One sure way to see God's sense of humor is to meerely look at a Platypus ... (LOL). :)

Pastor Gary if you think a Platypus is funny you should see the way people drive around the New Orleans area :D !

Bill Cosby did a recording a long time ago that reflects the humeous side of relationship between God and man.I get a laff out of it now and then .maybe others will to.
It was about God and Noah ,and the conversations they had about the ark.
I can still remember bits and peices of it. It went along something like this.

God; noah noah
Noah; who is this???
God; It's me God
Noah ; realy, who is this???
Lightning strikes the ground at Noah"s feet
Noah; God, rrriiiiggghhttt
God; Noah Noah. . . I have a job for your you.
Noah; Riiiiiiggghhhhttt!!
God; Noah Noah Listen to me. I want you to build an ark.
Noah; An ark???
God ;Yes an ark
Noah; I gotta question.
God; Yes Noah?
Noah; what's an ark??
God; a boat, Noah, a very big boat
Noah; A very big boat. right. . . How big a boat??
God; 300 cubits by 50 cubits and make it of gopher wood.
noah; I got a question .
God; Yes Noah?
noah; What's a cubit????

And later on

God; Noah noah
Noah; Yes God
God; I want you to bring into the ark a male and female of every living animal.
Noah; riiiiggghhhhttt!!!

much later
God; Noah noah??

Noah doesn't answer

God; Noah noah.
Noah; Now what? You got me building this big boat. The whole town thinks I'm talking to myself ,my neighbors think im crazy. My three sons are complaining all the time cause they can't get a date, The only ones that will even come around are these three ugly girls. The rabbits keep multiplying faster than I can throw them off the boat, The wife wants this thing out of the yard and do you have any idea how hard it was to find enough gopher wood to build a boat this size????? and to top it all off it's starting to rain.

God; Noah
Noah: Yes God.
God, it's an Ark, Noah
Noah ; rrriiggghhhtt
God; Noah Noah
Noah What now???
God; Im going to make it rain for forty days and forty night and distroy the wickeness upon this earth

Noah; Riiiiggghhhttt

These examples of God's "sense of humor" strike me as sometimes vicious...especially when he chooses to slay someone. Death in the name of God from his very command strikes a great deal of fear in my heart...Humbling someone is one thing, and I have felt it first hand...but death? Murder? Why?

I'm so looking forward to beginning the New Testament this weekend.

Yours in honesty,
WasLost

These examples of God's "sense of humor" strike me as sometimes vicious...especially when he chooses to slay someone. Death in the name of God from his very command strikes a great deal of fear in my heart...Humbling someone is one thing, and I have felt it first hand...but death? Murder? Why?

I'm so looking forward to beginning the New Testament this weekend.

Yours in honesty,
WasLost

the basic presuppositions that lay behind your worldview is all important waslost.... you have to stop thinking and seeing the world and all its reality from an anthropocentric perspective, and see it instead from a theocentric perspective.... you must see that there are no real "innocents' in the world, and that God is a holy and righteous and just God.... everyone gets what they deserve, whether that "computes" in our modern democratic mindsets/worldviews or not... the fact is, the universe is not a democracy, it is a theocracy.... so while everyone gets what they deserve... we need to see that the only people who don't get what they deserve get mercy and grace.... everyone gets justice, but not everyone gets grace and mercy, for these are, by definition, not deserved.... I have tried to remember these distinctions like this:

grace is getting what you do not deserve

mercy is not getting what you do deserve

but in neither case is it merited or deserved......

looking at the word from a theoocentric perspective we see that there is nowhere one can look where it can be said to God “this area is not Yours”… all of life, all of creation belongs to God, He gives life to all that live, and he ends that life whenever He sees fit…. He doesn’t have to have our permission or even our agreement with what He does… He is sovereign, we are not…. I am reminded of a t-shirt that says

there is a God, and you are not Him…

while this was mostly written to the New Agers, its message is appropriate fo this discussion as well, for many presume to sit in judgment over God as to what He does with His very own creation, thinking that they can see the end from the beginning, thinking that they know better than God as to how to run God’s creation. If you think about it even for a moment, you can see how preposterous this thinking really is… we are so limited as to what we know, it only makes sense to entrust the creation to the One who created it, to the one who sustains it, and the One who will one day bring it all to an end… and not to any puny finite sinful human being who thinks they know better than God….

blessings,
Ken

Waslost I would like you to consider Abrahams conversation with God

Gen 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Gen 18:30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

Gen 18:32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

God wouldn't bring judgement on that city if there were 50 righteous, thirty righteous, ten righteous - In His mercy He brought out all that would have Him (Lot and his family) - you must understand that "Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate "- God knows the begining from the end and He will not miss a single one who would turn to Him. A man even today only has two choices to live under the law and stand before a Perfect Holy God and be judged according to his wickness or to be under God's grace and to be judged as righteous in Jesus Christ, pure and spotless in God's eyes. From the begining there have always been two choices turst God and receive His grace or reject Him and get the righteous punishment of sinful flesh. the choice is yours and mine . When God looks at our lives and sees that we would be His He moves every obsticle in heaven and earth to bring us to Himself. He is gathering all that would have Him.
I would again suggest you major on the new covenant and find out God's heart before you try to comphrehend the old covenant.

Back