Good Christian movies on Netflix DVD

I have Netflix DVD subscription. I feel like I have seen all the Christian movies there :)

May be we should use this thread for others also to refer to find some good Christian movies.. What movies have you see and it was good?

Oy, that's a tough one.

Passion of the Christ (2004)
I know, that's an easy answer, but I think it's easy because it's one of the only movie depictions that seemed to get it right.

Father Brown (1954)
This movie is based on the book series by G.K. Chesterton, who was a major influence on C.S. Lewis's conversion. The story is about a priest who has an intuitive sense which he credits to God and often works privately as a detective in order to try and help rectify a right from wrong, but even more interestingly, to try and save the soul of the criminal. Alec Guinness played the role of Fr. Brown and did a great job.

Remember the Titans (2000)
I hesitated in listing this one originally. I was going to say it is indirectly a Christian-themed movie, but the more I think about it, I think it is directly one. It points to trusting in God to overcome obstacles, to shut down your own pride, do what is right toward your own friend, but even better, forgive your enemies. Really good movie.

The Mission (1986)
This is one of my favorite movies. It is about a conquistador who once worked in enslaving the Guarani Indians who became overwhelmed in God's love, became a priest, and worked toward saving them to his own death. Also, it was the most beautiful film scores in history (in my opinion).

The Buttercream Gang (1992)
If you were a homeschooled kid from the early to mid-90s, you probably saw this movie a million times. While sort of cheap in production, the story is incredible. A group of young teenage boys had a club in their town called the Buttercream Gang, where they went around helping people anyway they could. One of them goes off to Chicago to help with his widowed aunt but is kicked out after he gets himself into trouble over and over again. Back in his town, he continues to cause trouble doing the opposite of what he used to do. But the story gets especially interesting as it gets heavily into the teaching of turning the other cheek, forgiveness, and loving your enemies unconditionally even when it seems impossible. Best of all, it illustrates that just because it's right, it may hurt.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2000s)
For some, this is very obvious. For others, they will argue that this is perversion to the Christian faith because of characters like Gandalf. However, if you read Tolkien's commentary on Lord of the Rings, he doesn't just point out that it's some sort of allegory (actually, he was said to have not been a fan of allegories which is why he didn't like the Narnia books), but he goes into the Christian aspects of it in an accurate way. I couldn't not list this.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (1988).
OK, so I'm listening to BBC version because I enjoyed it more. And this is easy enough.

Passion of the Christ (2004)
I know, that's an easy answer, but I think it's easy because it's one of the only movie depictions that seemed to get it right.

I never did see it. I tried to watch it, but couldn't get past all the subtitles. I was paying more attention to reading the subtitles than watching the movie as I should.

I never did see it. I tried to watch it, but couldn't get past all the subtitles. I was paying more attention to reading the subtitles than watching the movie as I should.

I loved the Passion of Christ. I was stunned at the seeing of the brutality that Christ endured. I thought subtitles would be a distraction but for me - they weren't after the 1st few minutes. I was later kinda stunned about Gibson's antisemite stance and his "downfall".

Re: Terebithia. I didn't read the book but the movie was put out by Walt Disney and is about children growing up in the world and good vs evil in the world and how children overcome. Does it end in a church hymn? No. But the values are Christian.

Below are some of my favorites.

Fireproof, Courageous, Facing the giants, What if, This is our time, Passion of Christ, God's not dead

I remember during the making, Mel Gibson's original plan was to release the movie without subtitles and allow the movie itself to convey the story. I think the production company demanded he include subtitles.

Fireproof, Courageous, Facing the giants, What if, This is our time, Passion of Christ, God's not dead

I've only seen the last 2 :^( But I will take a look now. For adults I liked (because it made me think) What Dreams May Come and also Beloved.

I rewatched Bridge just now as I hadn't seen it in awhile. The child teen takes his friend to church. There are imaginative parts of the story but it is never confused by the characters as real life. I still see christian values upheld here.

I couldn't find Facing the Giants or Courageous on Netflicks. I watched Fireproof, What If, & This is Our Time. They wouldn't make my 10 0r even top 25 and I'd have to think about strictly "religious" films. One good movie I found was "Pay it Forward" with Kevin Spacey. I didn't care for Crowe's Noah and I would have to think more on Christian and movies as a whole. Old timers like Ben Hur and the 10 Commandments had a great affect on me when I was very young. They are coming out soon with an Exodus movie. I'll reserve judgement on that. I read The Borrowers, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings in 6th grade. Loved them. And the movies are faithful with the good vs evil theme. I agree with LS on that as well. I have a couple of Kirk Cameron DVD's and I just don't find them inspiring. I noticed Kevin Sorbo starred in Rav's favorite picks- God is not Dead and What If and I do think these are better films. Kind of ironic as Sorbo rose to fame playing Hercules in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in 1994 and did so to 1999. Re: Exodus - I think Simcha Jacobovich's Exodus Decoded is one of the best and can be found on youtube (I think?). I trust Simcha on OT material but anything to do with Christ is twisted and IMO hoaxed. He's an orthodox Jew. Going to rent Facing on Amazon. Merry Merry :)

And probably the Interview - if only to see what the fuss is about . I bought Salmon Rushdie's book after his life was threatened, too. On principle.

Having just watched (Except God is Not Dead and the Passion - it's been awhile since I saw) all on Rav's favorites list - I wondered what is meant by "good". :) I really liked Facing the Giants (Like I really liked Denzel's Remember the Titans) about football (arghhh...not a fan). I really liked the added emphasis on the glory to God theme. Fireproof had an excellent point that I have found to be true in life: You can't know love until you love God and understand His love (at least a little) for us. Otherwise I saw a lopsided look at the male correction without looking at the responsibility of the female and her going off path. I found the doctor's contributing to her mother's medical equipment as a bit unbelieveable and his (the doctor) putting his own wedding ring on and then off again (after Kirk confronts the doctor) a non sequitor. I also liked Courageous a good deal because of the "being a good dad" resolution but I think it should have been expanded to both parents. I didn't think watching any of them was a waste of time - for sure. I watched Grace Unplugged, too, as it was a freebie offered on Amazon as a member. I would compare it to Fireproof. It has emphasis on Christian values and the right path to follow. Just a little contrived like Mylie Cyrus and her Dad, the one hit wonder.

Groundhog day I think is a good movie with christian theme..ie sin just keeps happening over and over till we repent and deal with it.

Biblical adaptions..
Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat
One night with the King

I think you find many christian characters in movies you can be inspired by, even if the overall film is not christian.
Eg melanie in Gone with the Wind

Back