Greece

Decades ago and before the E.U. came together, I liked going to Greece. Greece was quite poor so the dollar went very far there, which made it nice for folks from the USA visiting there. I'd go windsurfing, scuba diving, and there was a particular hole in the wall place in Athens where I like to order souflaki sandwiches. I'd go on long runs along the coast. It's likely that Greece has changed a lot under the E.U... and I'd be afraid that if I returned I'd lose all the good memories that I have. I never visited the ruins, though I scuba dived beneath one. I just never had an interest in seeing old structures that had fallen apart and then partially restored so tourists would have something to look at.

Decades ago and before the E.U. came together, I liked going to Greece. Greece was quite poor so the dollar went very far there, which made it nice for folks from the USA visiting there. I'd go windsurfing, scuba diving, and there was a particular hole in the wall place in Athens where I like to order souflaki sandwiches. I'd go on long runs along the coast. It's likely that Greece has changed a lot under the E.U... and I'd be afraid that if I returned I'd lose all the good memories that I have. I never visited the ruins, though I scuba dived beneath one. I just never had an interest in seeing old structures that had fallen apart and then partially restored so tourists would have something to look at.

Hello Tall Timbers;

That's great! My wife and I would like to visit good friends who live in Macedonia. While there they said we can take a 5 hour bus ride to Greece.
The bus ride has a nice view.

I always wanted to know why the buildings and houses by the ocean in Greece are so white?

I've only seen two movies set in Greece - My big fat Greek Wedding (well actually, one of the spinoffs) and Mamma Mia.
I don't know anyone who lives there to visit! Many Greeks emigrated to Australia, they didn't make it so far as New Zealand. We have more of a Dalmation/Czech/Yugoslav population.

I'm not that interested in ruins. I'd go to see the islands and appreciate the cuisine. There's one island that has lots of cats. Also where Paul had his ministry.

I've only seen two movies set in Greece - My big fat Greek Wedding (well actually, one of the spinoffs) and Mamma Mia.
I don't know anyone who lives there to visit! Many Greeks emigrated to Australia, they didn't make it so far as New Zealand. We have more of a Dalmation/Czech/Yugoslav population.

I'm not that interested in ruins. I'd go to see the islands and appreciate the cuisine. There's one island that has lots of cats. Also where Paul had his ministry.

So, you haven't seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 then...

I saw a documentary on Netflix called Cat People, and it had about a couple who lived on Syros Island, where there are lots of cats, and they operated a rescue centre for them where they had about 60 cats, to look after them, spay/neuter and vaccinate them, and find good homes for them. They called it God's Little People.

The couple weren't from Greece they were from Denmark I think, they were wealthy but they poured all their money into this project, and they host people who want to help, because people in Greece just see cats as pests and don't bother looking after them. So if you wanted to stay as a voluntourist and help I'm sure they would let you.

Oh they have a website too

MODERATOR'S CAUTION:
The link in this post goes to a website which sells goods or services or solicits donations or goes to a self promotion site. Members are advised to be wary of ANY such donation requests or sales and to research the group or individual making the request or sales and to PRAY before sending ANY donation or before purchasing any goods or services.

Back in 1973-74, I was stationed in northern Greece in Drama City for a year. This was during the time of the dictators Popadopoulis and Geziekis. The dollar was very strong in Greece, with 30 dracmas to the dollar. We were able to enjoy a 3 course meal with Retzina wine for 30 dracmas ($1.00); my haircuts cost 20 dracmas (60 cents), and once, a taxi ride from Thessalonica to Drama (more than 100 miles) cost me 1800 dracmas ($60.00).

I can't imagine many of the Greeks have much time to spend for the cats, if they don't even have enough for themselves.
In thriving economies cats and other pets are valued as companions.

'Greece was quite poor so the dollar went far there, which made it nice for folks visiting from the US'

That's the thing...a poor country makes it nice for rich folks to visit, but it doesn't mean the rich folks visiting have much compassion for the poor people actually living there.

Back