Greetings, please read my message.

U

Unregistered

Greetings, please read my message.

Ok. Something to know right off the bat. I am an atheist. Now before you get uptight and angry hear me out. I am not here to denounce you faith, I am here because I believe that surely a community of Christians can answer whatever questions I pose. I swear I will not bash, hate, or otherwise incite argument, only intelligent discussion.

1. How come when I tell a Christian I am atheist it changes their opinion of me so greatly? I think no less or more of Christians because of your beliefs.

2. A man tells me he has an orange. I ask him to prove it, he shows me the orange and all is well. However, whenever I ask for proof of you God all I get is dirty looks and accusations of wrongdoing.

3. How come centuries of history, science, archaeology, and philosophy is regarded as useless? And it is often seen that someone who has a vision is a more relevant source of information?

4. Inconsistencies in the bible. Some passages are clearly disproving of each other. So why do certain people of your faith write off the one they don't like as much. Isn't there just as much chance the other is true?

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
(a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
(b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?
(a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)
(b) Three (I Chronicles 21:12)

Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?
(a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
(b) No (Joshua 15:63)

5. Do you believe your completely all-knowing God understands humor and intention?

If you have questions about Atheism I am all too happy to answer them. Just know that Atheism isn't an attack on faith, its a denouncing of such.

Ok. Something to know right off the bat. I am an atheist. ....I am here because I believe that surely a community of Christians can answer whatever questions I pose. ....

lol. Where would you get the idea Christians are "all-knowing"?

1. How come when I tell a Christian I am atheist it changes their opinion of me so greatly? I think no less or more of Christians because of your beliefs.

We realize we have very little in common with you. Every relationship is like that. As we come to know a person we begin to make choices about how we will relate to that person. Alcoholics tend to spend time with other people who drink as much or more than they do. Quilters tend to spend time with other people who like quilting. We all choose friends we have something in common with.

Christians and atheists have little in common. I have a good atheist friend, but most of my friends are Christian because we have a lot in common.

2. A man tells me he has an orange. I ask him to prove it, he shows me the orange and all is well. However, whenever I ask for proof of you God all I get is dirty looks and accusations of wrongdoing.

Why would you ask us to prove God, anyway? What's the point? The Bible says God allows those who desire to reject Him to do so.There were thousands of people who met Jesus face to face, saw his miracles - even raising the dead and curing leprosy - yet they chose to reject him saying he did miracles by the power of satan. It is your choice, not ours.

3. How come centuries of history, science, archaeology, and philosophy is regarded as useless? And it is often seen that someone who has a vision is a more relevant source of information?

Why do you criticize us for believing things you think are impossible, yet you yourself believe things that are scientifically impossible?

4. Inconsistencies in the bible. Some passages are clearly disproving of each other. So why do certain people of your faith write off the one they don't like as much. Isn't there just as much chance the other is true?

You lack Biblical knowledge or you would know that this is a translation error, not a contradiction. Also, it changes nothing. Here's an analogy: If I give you a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, (yum!) and tell you it takes exactly eight minutes to bake them in my oven, but my neighbor says it takes exactly 10 minutes in her oven, is one of us wrong?

5. Do you believe your completely all-knowing God understands humor and intention?

Absolutely.

Please, read your bible. Pray solemnly and with all sincerety...pray that He will give you sincerity to seek Him with, and open His Word. Hebrews 4:12 [NASB] If you seek Him with all of your heart at His call you shall find Him. His Word is living. Please read His Word. Scricpture is Spiritually appraised. Please pray that He opens your ears and heart to know His Will. Please, set your faith in reason aside for a God-seeking quest in the face of Jesus Christ. And come before Him Reverently, and with the most respect you can muster. Your soul is in His hands, He knows all of your thoughts as you think them; you are completely transparent before Him. He holds time and eternity and the whole world in His hands, there is not one molecule out of His control, there are a hundred thousand cells in your eye capturing an image before your brain gets to interpret it. Does not He who formed the eye see? Does not He who formed the ear hear? Is His arm so short it cannot save? Jesus Christ is the Word, who made evrything that exists. Revelation 4:11 There are approximately 28,000 species of butterflies. God pays attention to detail. May Jesus Christ be your Lord and Savior, or you will die in yoir sins and will suffer for them.

"But the things which God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets, that His Christ would suffer, He has thus fulfilled. Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you," Acts 3:18-20

John 1:1-18
The Deity of Jesus Christ

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

The Witness John

There came a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.

There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Word Made Flesh

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’” For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.

May God show your soul your dire need for Him, and may He bestow the richness, love, mercy, and kindness on your soul, for His glory, in Jesus Name I pray. May God richly bless you.

Ok. Something to know right off the bat. I am an atheist. Now before you get uptight and angry hear me out. I am not here to denounce you faith, I am here because I believe that surely a community of Christians can answer whatever questions I pose. I swear I will not bash, hate, or otherwise incite argument, only intelligent discussion.

You know, thank you for being honest and taking the kind, understanding root. I do not like to discuss with those who wish to bash, hate, swear, etc. :)

Your being a atheist does not change my opinion whatsoever of you. People who would do so otherwise are judging you. I have had people's opinions change of me just because I said I was a Christian. I have a lot of atheist friends, actually - we may not agree on certain things but we can still hold civil discussions. I do not think any more less or greater of an atheist than I do my next door neighbor.

Sometimes, just a few people who call themselves a certain thing can change a whole group of people's opinions on that other group. This is what sometimes happens with Christianity - there are a lot of good, honest, kind Christians but it's those who like to wear it as a hat but don't want to walk the walk that put a sour taste in people's mouths about other Christians.

I see no reason why you should be accused of wrongdoing. You were only asking a question and I am sure you weren't mean or nasty about it, correct? If I asked, "I would like to see some proof for such-and-such", would you get angry and be upset? Hopefully not! Because my question was not to incite an argument. It seems you are genuinely curious and I will give you the benefit of that.

I certainly do not regard any of those things as useless. I certainly do not believe every person who has a 'vision'. God says to "test the spirits". I will certainly assure you that not everyone who has a vision is a good source of information. There are a lot of phonies and fakes in this world, and from the outside it may seem good but it really is not. These people pop up like gophers and overtake your whole life if you don't do something about them.

And then thing of it is, history/science/archaeology/philosophy changes over time as we change. Before, we knew so little about our world and then - BAM! We learn all of this new stuff. Our views of the Universe change as technology increases and our overall knowledge of the world does so, too. Science was not always as advanced as it is now. History was not as complex and rich as it is now. We did not have all the same tools we do now to preserve and find new archaeological objects and artifacts as we have now. Philosophy - I'm still working on that one. :D

People who pick and choose scriptures should not be doing so. The Bible is supposed to read in whole and the other scriptures used to support and back up others. That's why it's best to read around a certain passage instead of taking one little snippet and using that. You don't get the whole meaning that God intended. My grandmother told me, "you have to read every single word with meaning and intent."

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
(a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
(b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?
(a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
(b) No (Joshua 15:63)

Of course. It's always good to have a laugh. :D

Boy oh boy, Unregistered!
I dont have a clue to what I can tell you! Ginger is "Smokin" with her replies!
and trust me.....one thing I do know about atheists? They have the same questions as you've posted.
and i oughta know...My wife is an atheist! Honest!
She wasnt when we got married, 10 years ago, but a Christian may never believe what can get somebody to quit believing in a god..My wife started unbelieving when she read a headline in Vegetarian Times, stating that Jesus was a vegetarian! The justified this because the writer informed the reader that Jesus would never kill! Including dinner! This got my wife to thinking....and, since shes so intellectual,(and an artist also) she did alot of research...but she only researched places that wanted to discredit the existence of God.
The only thing I know for sure, is believeing in God is like when you were a kid, believing in Santa...you knew he came every Christmas....you knew he left gifts...but you never really saw him.You just BELIEVED he was real!
Thats what happens when you get older...one loses the ability to be faithful, like a child...and when we get older, sometimes we think we're smarter than when we were young.
As for me...I'm fifty years old....ok, 51, now that i think of it!...But I'm a lucky person I suppose....I just read the Word(The bible)...and, when I come to a part that appears to contradict itself, I dont question it..I just act like a dumb ol' sheep and go with it...I dont have time to argue what the bible tells me, I just focus on Jesus, and love, and forgiveness.
Its too bad tho....I'm concerned about where my wife will end up after she dies....The way janelle is, a Christian would think that janelle is very good example of what being a Christian is! She sets the perfect example for how a Christian should behave...ok,...not perfect, but pretty darn good!
Oh....another bummer......My 16 year old son has decided he's atheist too...
I dont know WHY this happened to me, but it did! I also know, at this point, only God can change things.
Jesus never twisted our arms to follow Him...He gave us the option to follow or not....Sometimes tho, I hate to think of it,....but,....theres people who arent gonna make it into the kingdom of heaven, regardless of what Believers try to convince them of...At this point, my wife, my son, and you, are who i pray for most....and the list gets longer all the time...unbelieving is starting to become very popular nowadays.
Its good you ask questions....maybe, eventually, you will get answers to change your thinking..Thats what I pray for!
Nice seeing you in here, introducing yourself...Dont think too hard about stuff...try to go back to when there was a Santa instaed of Science.
your friend,
john

Thought of your first question for a bit..
I'm a christian, and 50% of my friends are atheists I believe, and my parents and basically my community too.. We just don't get into the subject religion, and all is well. I've never judged anyones beliefs...

Im a christian, no nasty looks for you. :)

adopting a term like "atheist" to describe yourself paints a painful picture to most "Christians." Simply put, your being treated like the majority of people who adopt this moniker wish to be by the christian community.. If you wish to Be treated as an "Unlabeled Individual." Then don't approach people with a label.. It's kinda like showing up at a civil rights rally dressed as a clansmen, and expecting to be treated with respect..

Despite how you think of yourself and others, you can't expect others to think in the same way you do.. That is alittle narrow minded.

Because despite of how your faith (Atheism) works, ours is not based in the same principles. God tells us that he Hides himself from the learned and wise, and revels himself to the meek and humble.. For you this means God is not an mental exercise to be mastered or conquered.. There isn't data to be Analise nor are there "facts" to be discovered. If you wish to Experience this "Orange" then humbly approach God with your request.. But don't think you can fool him with false humility, and wordy prayers.

Because the tenements of your faith are all based in "Facts." Facts in of themselves have little to do with Truth. A fact is a neutral statement that can be proved true or false.. And because the very nature of your Faith is, the interpretation of loosely constructed facts, to me and most Reasonable Truth seeking individuals, the centuries spent devoted in worshiping the ever changing "facts" of history, science, archeology, and philosophy are as useless as most "visions" found today.

Most "inconsistencies" are easily explained when you take the original texts and culture into account.. As a Believer in History your efforts here should have yielded some answers to your questions.. So as an effort of Goodwill and a attempt not to step on your faith I will not be providing answers to your "Inconsistencies", But I will provide you with a list of reference material So that you may research for yourself...

My atheism question:
Why is "History" only considered relevant if it promotes an non biblical world view? (As seen by your efforts to try and expose "inconsistencies" in the biblical account with considering the Original text in which it was written nor the History of the culture it came from..)

I find that it is a good thing that you want questions you have answered, but in all honestly I believe the only way you might be able to really appreciate the answer's to those questions would be to start reading the Bible. I do not know why you do not believe, no more than you know why I do, and I do not agree with bashing on either side as well, but if you show enough interest to get on the web and ask questions about the christian faith, then I feel maybe you would learn so very much from the word of God, if you will try to put as much faith in it as you do any other text you have read..
Remember one thing, man is, has been and will walways be able to fail, and wrong in their conclusions. But, as a christian we know and understand how GOD has always stayed the same, His word never changes and never fails. When so many other's are proven wrong His word remains to be proven only right.
blessings to you.

Ok. Something to know right off the bat. I am an atheist. Now before you get uptight and angry hear me out. I am not here to denounce you faith, I am here because I believe that surely a community of Christians can answer whatever questions I pose. I swear I will not bash, hate, or otherwise incite argument, only intelligent discussion..
Hog wash:rolleyes: I've seen this tactic enough times to know a vailed attempt at iciting argument. You say you don't treat christians differant because of their belief and then expect us to answer your any and every question about our beliefs to your satifaction??? Can you answer every question ask you about your faith or lack there of????? Of coarse not. . . Then why should you expect that unrealistic standard of a christian unless you have already prejudged us???? your first paragraph counterdicts itself, my aithest freind.

1. How come when I tell a Christian I am atheist it changes their opinion of me so greatly?
Why do you start off on the defensive. Why do you first make a point of our differance, unless you are laying groundwork for a stance?and a position for argument?

I think no less or more of Christians because of your beliefs.
I am here because I believe that surely a community of Christians can answer whatever questions I pose.
How about we address your inconsistancies before we look at those you claim are in scripture????

2. A man tells me he has an orange. I ask him to prove it, he shows me the orange and all is well.
Unless you don't accept the orange as an orange what if it's not ripe yet?? unripe oranges are green, you know. What if he has only a seed or a tree??? perhaps he has a small grapefruit painted orange, of one made of constuction paper?

However, whenever I ask for proof of you God all I get is dirty looks and accusations of wrongdoing.
My obligation to explain my beliefs are to sincerely give the answer when ask "sincerely" the reason for the faith I have in God.
"Proof" is subjective. For insance you could reject every orange or evidence of an orange I or anyone could present to you. How do you prove the existance of an orange to some one who does not want to accept the fact that there is such a thing as an orange???
And why should I or any one waste time trying to justify God to you when your very first words make it clear you don't believe there is a God????
Your mind was made up before you entered this forum. That was evident in the way you approched us.

You want to try another approach? Let me know.

A believer
Cliff

Back