Grow your own herbs

Hey , I'm going to try it. I already have a few of those herbs in my yard. Mint for sure and don't know yet what else survived the winter.

Hey , I'm going to try it. I already have a few of those herbs in my yard. Mint for sure and don't know yet what else survived the winter.
I picked 2 mason jars worth of wild mint 2 summers ago, and thought I'd run out, I have tons left. I was a naturalist at one point in my past for the national forest, and I gave medicinal and edible plant hikes at times. I'm getting a garden together this year, I'll try adding in a few herbs, including the ones you linked to.

I picked 2 mason jars worth of wild mint 2 summers ago, and thought I'd run out, I have tons left. I was a naturalist at one point in my past for the national forest, and I gave medicinal and edible plant hikes at times. I'm getting a garden together this year, I'll try adding in a few herbs, including the ones you linked to.

Wow.... That's great Tyler. I will be interested in that and have a friend who is very serious about eating and growing everything himself. I will pass along any information that you post . Thanks

I would be interested in the medicinal plants. I always believed that those are better for you than all the pills and medication that the doctors push with all the side effects. I think our society has gotten away from nature and what is good for us.

I love herb tea; spearmint is my favorite...Herbs are not very hard to grow...I used spearmint for my tabbouli and will raise it all in my garden this year; including the onions...may God bless my garden and yours!!

Hungry again...

The growing season in our northern summer location is only 4-1/2 months long, but some of the herbs that grow well in this climate are already producing results. We already have a fair amount of Chives ready for harvest. These are used in our cooking exploits to highlight salads, poultry and fish dishes.

If you want a mouth watering dinner, try pan seared Cod or Halibut in a hot olive oil, chive, onion, garlic, parsley, rosemary, sea salt and ground pepper base. Two to three minutes in each side and the herb and spice mix gets seared into the fish. Add some sauteed onions over the fish and serve this over brown rice with sides of fingerling potatoes topped with sour cream and steamed asparagus... yummy!!

OH, GREAT - I haven't had breakfast as yet and NOW I'm hungry for fish...:fish:

Yummy is right . That sounds good Pastor. Yes my chives are good for cultivating now as well and like you I use them in everything for flavour. Also the purple tops when they flower are edible as well and look pretty in salad.:cool::cool:

This is a great thread Barb!! :)
I have been experimenting with natural medicinal remedies because I don't have medical insurance and here is one thing that has REALLY worked!

I have arthritis that was becoming very painful so I looked up Ancient Chinese Remedies and found out that celery seed is a well known treatment. I bought a big jar of celery seed from a discount store and began putting it in almost every thing I ate. Within two days.....the pain was much less and the inflammation was almost gone!! Now....the pain is completely manageable when before.....I was totally consumed with pain daily. Praise God for His provision....

Also, I was having trouble with water retention and began using pure cranberry juice as a diaretic. I drink a cup once or twice a day. It's all but completely gone now!

Tyler....would you be willing to share the medicinal plants you know with us here?? I would really appreciate it. I don't trust the medicines the multi-billion dollar drug companies come up with anymore. The lists of side effects are as long as your arm and I have always felt that chemicals of any kind are soooo dangerous and what is making people sick. I don't even use commercial toothpaste anymore. The list of chemicals is unbelievable on everything from shampoo to soap.
Anyway....I would love to explore the more natural way of curing common ailments....:smile_anim:

Anyway....I would love to explore the more natural way of curing common ailments....

I agree, I have been studying the natural way of healing for some time. I was in the first Gulf War and got very sick when I got back and it was progressively getting worse and worse, to the point where I was in so much pain that I could hardly get out of bed and my knees would give out on me when I walked. I went to various doctors and they basically said they could do nothing, or what they did do, did nothing. I decided if I wanted to live and be healthy I was going to have to cure myself. I assumed that I had been the subject to some sort of poisining and started taking herbs that clean out toxins. After finding the right herbs, I was well within a couple months and haven't been sick since.

This is a great thread Barb!! :)
I have been experimenting with natural medicinal remedies because I don't have medical insurance and here is one thing that has REALLY worked!

I have arthritis that was becoming very painful so I looked up Ancient Chinese Remedies and found out that celery seed is a well known treatment. I bought a big jar of celery seed from a discount store and began putting it in almost every thing I ate. Within two days.....the pain was much less and the inflammation was almost gone!! Now....the pain is completely manageable when before.....I was totally consumed with pain daily. Praise God for His provision....

Also, I was having trouble with water retention and began using pure cranberry juice as a diaretic. I drink a cup once or twice a day. It's all but completely gone now!

Tyler....would you be willing to share the medicinal plants you know with us here?? I would really appreciate it. I don't trust the medicines the multi-billion dollar drug companies come up with anymore. The lists of side effects are as long as your arm and I have always felt that chemicals of any kind are soooo dangerous and what is making people sick. I don't even use commercial toothpaste anymore. The list of chemicals is unbelievable on everything from shampoo to soap.
Anyway....I would love to explore the more natural way of curing common ailments....:smile_anim:

Judy,

Having been a nurse for 45 yrs, I have seen all the side effects from all the medications that doctors perscribe and they re not nice. I also saw when one medication gave side effects then they perscribe another one to counteract the first one.and so on and on it goes. I have seen poor little seniors come in with pages of medication . No wonder they are sick .... Just my observation so don't quote me.

I am not against doctors of course but I think each time one goes all they seem to do is give pills. Of course also they get perks from the pharmachedical companies as well.

Anyways I believe that the natural way is the better way and if we can find alternatives that are natural then go for it . This is of course something that doctors would not recommend. We also have to have good information about what we are taking so check everything out first.

Of course our best Doctor is Doctor Jesus.:shepherd::shepherd:

Amen! I think that Doctors treat the symptoms and not the cause. They don't have time in their rush to see more patients and thereby make more money....to discover what CAUSES arthritis in a particular patient. They just hand out something that will mask the symptom.

They are not healers anymore, for the most part; they are merely drug pushers who dispense pharmaceuticals made by companies that are driven by greed rather than compassion.

I agree, I have been studying the natural way of healing for some time. I was in the first Gulf War and got very sick when I got back and it was progressively getting worse and worse, to the point where I was in so much pain that I could hardly get out of bed and my knees would give out on me when I walked. I went to various doctors and they basically said they could do nothing, or what they did do, did nothing. I decided if I wanted to live and be healthy I was going to have to cure myself. I assumed that I had been the subject to some sort of poisining and started taking herbs that clean out toxins. After finding the right herbs, I was well within a couple months and haven't been sick since.

WOW Don that's so awesome!!

Does anyone know how to do a metal cleanse?? I have worked with stained glass (lead and copper) for a few years and have stopped. I have also done a candida cleanse twice and that REALLY helped clear out my mind. I know that metals settle in joints and I want to rid myself of all the lead I must have been absorbed. Anyone know??

WOW Don that's so awesome!!

Does anyone know how to do a metal cleanse?? I have worked with stained glass (lead and copper) for a few years and have stopped. I have also done a candida cleanse twice and that REALLY helped clear out my mind. I know that metals settle in joints and I want to rid myself of all the lead I must have been absorbed. Anyone know??

Don't know that one Judy but forgot to tell you that this winter I started taking cod liver oil..... yes the real bad taisting liquid that my mom used to give me . I have found that by taking that my joints are not so stiff as before and they say that is one of the benifts and of course seems to prevent a lot of colds. I have not had one cold this winter.

You know we should get back to all the old remedies that our mothers used to use .... they were more effective and probably better than all these pills.

One thing I remember is that when we had a chest cold she would fry up a big batch of onions and put it in a towel and put it on my chest . And it helped.

We should start all the old remedies that our moms used to do .

Cranberry juice is also good if you have a bladder infection. But the pure juice not the blends.

So Tyler, if you are around we all would really appreciate your input into medicinal herbs . Thanks.
Good day everybody!
The dandelion plant and root has many uses, and it grows like a weed!:)
We battle with this plant every year, and one unfortunate person on the board is restricted from using the necessary means to rid their lawn of the terrible dandelion.

I'm going to start picking a dandelion plant for my 2 daily salads, they sure are bitter tasting though.

Dandelion herbal remedy uses, growing, dandelion pictures

One thing I remember is that when we had a chest cold she would fry up a big batch of onions and put it in a towel and put it on my chest . And it helped.
s.
I juiced and drank an onion this year....a huge mistake, I thought it would cure a cold, I almost called 911 :D!

I have been doing a search and here's a few things I have found.

Arthritis: 1-2 teaspoons of celery seed per day.
Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon cinnamon into warm water. Drink every morning. After a month there will be a marked decrease in pain and an increase in mobility.

Cholesterol Buster
Suffering from high cholesterol? Make a decoction of two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 oz of black tea. Cool and keep aside. Drink this 3 or 4 times during the day, every day. It will bring down cholesterol levels remarkably. This magic potion strengthens the heartbeat, combats breathlessness and improves blood flow.
Depression treatment using Apple

Apple is one of the most valuable remedies for mental depression. The various chemical substances present in this fruit such as vitamin B, phosphorus, and potassium help the synthesis of glutamic acid, which controls the wear and tear of nerve cells. The fruit should be taken with milk and honey. This remedy will act as a very effective nerve tonic and recharge the nerves with new energy and life.
Depression treatment using Cashewnut

The cashewnut is another valuable remedy for general depression and nervous weakness. It is rich in vitamins of the B group, especially thiamine, and is therefore useful in stimulating the appetite and the nervous system. It is also rich in riboflavin which keeps the body active, cheerful, and energetic.
Depression treatment using Asparagus

The root of asparagus has been found beneficial in the treatment of depression. It is highly nutritious and is used as a herbal medicine for mental disorders. It is a good tonic for the brain and nerves. One or two grams of the powder of the dry root of the plant can be taken once daily.
Depression treatment using Cardamom

The use of cardamom has proved valuable in depression. Powdered seeds should be boiled in water and tea prepared in the usual way. A very pleasing aroma is added to the tea, which can be used as a medicine in the treatment of this condition.
Depression treatment using Lemon Balm

The herb lemon balm has been used successfully in the treatment of mental depression. It alleviates brain fatigue, lifts the heart from depression, and raises the spirits. A cold infusion of the balm taken freely is reputed to be excellent for its calming influence on the nerves. About thirty grams of the herb should be placed in half a litre of cold water and allowed to stand for twelve hours. The infusion should then be strained and taken in small doses throughout the day.
Depression treatment using Rose

An infusion of rose petals should be prepared by mixing 15 gm of rose petals in 250 ml of boiling water. If drunk occasionally, instead of the usual tea and coffee, it is beneficial for treating this condition.
Depression treatment using Vitamin B

Diet has a profound effect on the mental health of a person. Even a single nutritional deficiency can cause depression in susceptible people. Nutritional therapy builds up brain chemicals, such as serotonin and norepinephrine, that affect the mood and are often lacking in depressed people. Eating foods rich in vitamin B, such as wholegrains, green vegetables, eggs, and fish helps restore vitality and cheer in an individual.

Good day everybody!
The dandelion plant and root has many uses, and it grows like a weed!:)
We battle with this plant every year, and one unfortunate person on the board is restricted from using the necessary means to rid their lawn of the terrible dandelion.

I'm going to start picking a dandelion plant for my 2 daily salads, they sure are bitter tasting though.

Dandelion herbal remedy uses, growing, dandelion pictures

That would be me Tyler...... But can we use just the common dandilion that grows in my yard? As you saw I have been digging them out.I thought what they used in salad were cultivated dandilions. I go to an Italian grocer and he sells them for salad and yes they are bitter ... I have tried them but not bad if mixed with other greens. The leaves of those are different than the ones in my yard.

I don't think I would too popular with my neibours if I tried growing my own dandilions.... actually they do well on their own..... He he

Judy
Arthritis: 1-2 teaspoons of celery seed per day.
Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon cinnamon into warm water. Drink every morning. After a month there will be a marked decrease in pain and an increase in mobility
I wonder if putting cinnamon in my coffee in the morning works the same as I always do that cause I love the taste of cinnamon and I also put it in my oatmeal with dried cranberries.

Back