Growing understanding

God truly is wonderful. Even now I can feel his love and all I can describe is that if feels like something is always swirling around me.. if that even makes any sense. And I feel it as though the love is alive, if that makes any sense. Like it moves around me and goes so deep, like no depth or limit... it just goes on and on.....
I do know what you mean... it feels like a living energy... a complete, pure, beautiful, connected/united, creative, powerful, endless, LOVE- in other words... it's feeling the presence & love of God. At least that's how I see it.
I have never experienced this before and every day I thank God for His love and I find that I now have so much more freedom in God but also have a great deal of gratitude. I am so full of thankfulness to Him. I could go on and on because I feel some days it just over flows around me. I am so very happy and blessed.
Amen.

OK, I love this post. I have three Girls and have told them many times that they should always seek and pray for their own discernment and not just trust someone else. I have mentors and friends who I go to and trust very much, but as I feel that you mention, many of us have accepted things as truth or black and white when there was something else to the story. I was very specific, as my girls were young then, that it is ok and even expected to verify the things that I tell them.

I have found that on most of the Parables Christ gave us I find something new in them each time I study them. This is especially true for the parable of the prodigal son. As an example, for most of my life I thought the prodigal son was the sinner and the son who stayed was the good son. In recent years I almost feel more sorrow for the son who stays, he is near to the father and still he has failed to understand and love him.

What I would really like to share is one where I feel like I failed, but I still came away with an epiphany I have been able to share with others. I used to have a favorite kolache shop where I would stop for breakfast on the way to work. The shop was right across the street from a Christian Academy. One day while I was waiting on my food I overheard two teenagers discussing the Parable of the Vineyard workers Matt 20 : 1-16.

What I heard was one teen explaining to the other that the whole parable was explaining that the vineyard master would have a hard time getting workers to come back and work a full day. He further explained to his friend that the all day workers would feel shafted because they were paid the same as those that came late in the day and wouldn't come back; or that many workers would only work late in the day knowing they would get the same wage.

I admit, until that very moment, I never understood that parable at all. It wasn't until I heard this young man explain it on a purely earthly level that I received my personal understanding of this parable. Now I will caveat that I believe the parables are such living statements that they speak God's truth in different ways depending on your current life point of view. I think this can be seen as Jews and Gentiles, life long believers and new believers (especially those late in life), and many other points of view. The core truths I picked up that day is that the vineyard is Earth or Israel; I think there is room for debate here but definitely it is this plane of existence and not Heaven. The workers are God's people, as I mentioned earlier this could be Jews and gentiles but I think the parable works in many discussions. The reward is God's grace. I would keep going but I would do my energizer bunny impression.

The point is, I had read and heard that parable tens if not hundreds of times and I did not understand it. People had tried to explain it to me many times and nothing they said made sense. In that moment, hearing it clearly explained wrong, I suddenly had an epiphany giving me a glimpse of the meaning of that parable.

Where did I fail? I so wanted to go over to these teens and join their conversation and steer them to a better understanding. I don't know them so it seemed awkward, and I was running late for work; so I left and never talked to them. I hope someone explained it to them. Whether they have been instructed on this since then or not, their conversation was a real blessing to me as it opened my eyes to an amazing message from Christ our Lord.

In Christ,

Heisonfirst

HeIsOnFirst, Thank you so much for sharing that! I do appreciate it. I am still somewhat "new-ish" to much that is in the Bible, and the vinyard workers was a good parable to me to go read & ponder over a bit.
Now I will caveat that I believe the parables are such living statements that they speak God's truth in different ways depending on your current life point of view.
Isn't just wonderful how God's words are truly "alive"!!

OK, I love this post.

Where did I fail? I so wanted to go over to these teens and join their conversation and steer them to a better understanding. I don't know them so it seemed awkward, and I was running late for work; so I left and never talked to them. I hope someone explained it to them. Whether they have been instructed on this since then or not, their conversation was a real blessing to me as it opened my eyes to an amazing message from Christ our Lord.
In Christ,
Heisonfirst

Hello Heisonfirst;

Its good to share with you again.

You didn't fail. This time you were listening and I truly believe this was the point of opportunity for the next time when you teach someone about the vinyard. I find that when I share the parables I will hear someone else explain and then realize I'm learning something new, as you were saying, and will praise God for I'm still a student of His Word.

I enjoyed your post, brother. God bless you and your family!

OK, I love this post. I have three Girls and have told them many times that they should always seek and pray for their own discernment and not just trust someone else. I have mentors and friends who I go to and trust very much, but as I feel that you mention, many of us have accepted things as truth or black and white when there was something else to the story. I was very specific, as my girls were young then, that it is ok and even expected to verify the things that I tell them.

I have found that on most of the Parables Christ gave us I find something new in them each time I study them. This is especially true for the parable of the prodigal son. As an example, for most of my life I thought the prodigal son was the sinner and the son who stayed was the good son. In recent years I almost feel more sorrow for the son who stays, he is near to the father and still he has failed to understand and love him.

What I would really like to share is one where I feel like I failed, but I still came away with an epiphany I have been able to share with others. I used to have a favorite kolache shop where I would stop for breakfast on the way to work. The shop was right across the street from a Christian Academy. One day while I was waiting on my food I overheard two teenagers discussing the Parable of the Vineyard workers Matt 20 : 1-16.

What I heard was one teen explaining to the other that the whole parable was explaining that the vineyard master would have a hard time getting workers to come back and work a full day. He further explained to his friend that the all day workers would feel shafted because they were paid the same as those that came late in the day and wouldn't come back; or that many workers would only work late in the day knowing they would get the same wage.

I admit, until that very moment, I never understood that parable at all. It wasn't until I heard this young man explain it on a purely earthly level that I received my personal understanding of this parable. Now I will caveat that I believe the parables are such living statements that they speak God's truth in different ways depending on your current life point of view. I think this can be seen as Jews and Gentiles, life long believers and new believers (especially those late in life), and many other points of view. The core truths I picked up that day is that the vineyard is Earth or Israel; I think there is room for debate here but definitely it is this plane of existence and not Heaven. The workers are God's people, as I mentioned earlier this could be Jews and gentiles but I think the parable works in many discussions. The reward is God's grace. I would keep going but I would do my energizer bunny impression.

The point is, I had read and heard that parable tens if not hundreds of times and I did not understand it. People had tried to explain it to me many times and nothing they said made sense. In that moment, hearing it clearly explained wrong, I suddenly had an epiphany giving me a glimpse of the meaning of that parable.

In Christ,

Heisonfirst

It's interesting that you have brought up this parable. For I never had understanding of many of them either.

However as we watched a Christian movie one time... I found an explanation that really bore witness with my spirit.

The field is the earth. The workers are every person on the earth. And whether we come to Christ early or late we all get the same payment of being in the/apart of the kingdom of heaven. Which is eternal life. We just have to make the choice to accept Jesus as Savior and Lord.

Thank you for sharing
Blessings

Isn't just wonderful how God's words are truly "alive"!!

It wasn't until recent years that I truly experienced the Bible as the living word. Since then I have wanted to be in God's word, not out of obligation (as I used to feel), out of awe, wonder, love, respect and need. It is one of the many reasons I joined this site, to increase my exposure to my brothers and sisters and His word.

In Christ,

Heisonfirst

Hello Heisonfirst;

Its good to share with you again.

You didn't fail. This time you were listening and I truly believe this was the point of opportunity for the next time when you teach someone about the vinyard. I find that when I share the parables I will hear someone else explain and then realize I'm learning something new, as you were saying, and will praise God for I'm still a student of His Word.

I enjoyed your post, brother. God bless you and your family!

Bobinfaith, thanks so much, it's good to be back after a bit of hiatus.

I appreciate your comment that I didn't fail. It still feels that way to me, but I hear what you are saying, I was open to the word of the spirit and what I learned has blessed/served me well (and hopefully others) even before this posting.

I will say, it is highly unlikely those boys will ever know how much their conversation blessed me. That thought is something I often try to hang on to. I think, so often, we do not get to see the fruits of our labors and there are times when the spirit can use us to bless others in ways we can never imagine our role having been an important one.

In Christ,

Heisonfirst

Hello AtomicSnowFlake;

I wanted to follow up and praise God for leading you to write your thread Growing Understanding which has blessed us! I felt our fellowship and testimonies are the "opposite" of the objective you were pointing out originally. I could really feel the spirit moving upon this topic, so loving, peaceful and pure, yet learning more about Jesus and the Gospels.

God bless everyone here!

Hello AtomicSnowFlake;

I wanted to follow up and praise God for leading you to write your thread Growing Understanding which has blessed us! I felt our fellowship and testimonies are the "opposite" of the objective you were pointing out originally. I could really feel the spirit moving upon this topic, so loving, peaceful and pure, yet learning more about Jesus and the Gospels.

God bless everyone here!

That's why we're here :)
And no... not "opposite" at all. The objective is to learn, grow, encourage, & support each other. You can never get too much spiritual food.

In Christ,

Heisonfirst

I'd say that you did not fail at all... I'd say that the spirit was successful in ministering to you, and you ears heard, and you learned from it.
As for those kids... to me, it sounds like they weren't too far off track... They cared enough to be discussing it, and if you ponder on the points you say they made... they were getting close.

And I am grateful for the participation from everyone... it has been a blessing to me as well.

Last edited:
May I know your explanation;

What is the meaning of AtomicSnowflake? lol! It made me curious!

I understand CoffeeDrinker. I enjoy fellowship with other brothers and sisters while having my cup of coffee!

God bless you, AtomicSnowflake, and thanks!
Hi all. I enjoyed the disection of AtomicSnowflake 's username.
This prompted me to look at bobinfaith. As in to bob in faith. To float in faith, being carried along by the current, as directed by the Spirit. Totally surrounded by faith, relying on it for direction in life.
Just a thought that struck me. And it didn't hurt a bit.
Blessings

This prompted me to look at bobinfaith. As in to bob in faith. To float in faith, being carried along by the current, as directed by the Spirit. Totally surrounded by faith, relying on it for direction in life.
Blessings

Aren't those strikes the best kind? Lol

Blessings

Blessings

Hello, Big Moose!

Thank you for sharing your thought. It made me think this morning. Just last night we got past a serious trial and the outcome was definitely the Lord's direction. Not only that, but God was with my wife and me through it all, and we are very thankful to Him.

Actually, years ago I attended a party and was in an apple bobbing contest. When it was my turn I would "bob in faith" We didn't win but the apple was delicious. lol!

I wanted to ask you. Are you familiar with Big Moose from the Archie comics? When we were kids, my late Mom (God bless her) would buy us the latest each week and enjoyed reading them.

God bless you, Big Moose, and your family.

Hello, Big Moose!

Thank you for sharing your thought. It made me think this morning. Just last night we got past a serious trial and the outcome was definitely the Lord's direction. Not only that, but God was with my wife and me through it all, and we are very thankful to Him.

Actually, years ago I attended a party and was in an apple bobbing contest. When it was my turn I would "bob in faith" We didn't win but the apple was delicious. lol!

I wanted to ask you. Are you familiar with Big Moose from the Archie comics? When we were kids, my late Mom (God bless her) would buy us the latest each week and enjoyed reading them.

God bless you, Big Moose, and your family.
Thank you for the blessing, we all need them!
No, I am not familiar with the character, although I know of the comic strip. My name came from a nick name in high school from a kid who would fall asleep in class in the seat behind me. The teacher couldn't see him behind me :):sleep:

Back