Habitat for Humanity

Hello Lanolin;

I would assume this book is fiction.

I'm sorry, Lanolin, I don't mean to rain on your thread but I'm not in favor of communes. It reminds me of the history such as the Waco Siege, a Christian sect called the Branch Davidians in 1993 and the People's Temple, another Christian sect led by Jimmy Jones in 1978. Both ended tragically.

My thoughts on what you shared; In "real life" communes are most people who have resigned from co-existing with society. Some justify the woes of the world so they drop out in search for communal life. Problem is most of the commune or tribal leaders don't put together a proper plan for the people who will join.

Biblically speaking, men have a role to honor God's creation of marriage, not to share women and have babies as they please, making it a communal law or rule. Other men love the utopia feel of perfect living within the confines of nature. But when they realize it's tough to kill for food or defend the tribe from beastly animals, they soon lose that nirvana, pack up and surrender back into human society.

Women end up doing the cooking which may include chopping wood, cleaning and childcare. They become sexual objects to the men or the leaders with the attitude that this is ok for communal living.

People in communes still have to deal with communal health such as care of their bodies, care for their teeth, sanitation and prevention from diseases, viruses, etc...

Over time, communal living becomes unbalanced. The communal leaders don't have a proper structure proven and end up becoming a sect. This is why most communes don't succeed. Most communes don't succeed because God's hand isn't in it.

I can read a book on communal living or watch a documentary. But in the end they just don't work.

God bless you, Lanolin.

Bob
The book was not fiction it was written by someone who lived it.

Communes chasing utopia in Aotearoa by Olive Jones

Another book I read was about Gloriavale by someone who grew up in it and left it. This was a christian commune, or rather, a permanent camp. I am not a fan of camp style living.
I have been on a few Christian camps and festivals but only a for a couple of days I can't imagine living like that permanently.

In Olive's commune there was no one leader but they did have problems with hepatitis and people would follow gurus.
At Gloriavale was a Bible cult and women were treated no better. The leaders were the other extreme and people may have wanted to leave but couldn't and leaders guilted families into staying women there were treated like harems for the men. If they did leave they were treated as evil.

I've been to see a place that used to be a former commune called Centrepoint. The place looked really lush and had wonderful greenery but this was also a place where sexual abuse was rife and the founder bedded all the women. It got closed down and turned into a retreat centre so the wealthy could drop out there for a few weeks at a time.

I've been asked to be a navigator, working with the very poor who need washing machines, beds, furniture. Because last year Cyclone Gabrielle has left many with nothing, floods have washed away/damaged homes, and renters now need emergency housing. This is for Ministry of health, I am not sure about it yet - does God want me to help with this?

But it might be something. If people don't have the basics (clean clothes, somewhere to sleep) they'll have more health problems later on. We have refugees/migrants in our own country, never mind those who come from other countries for a new or better life. Of course people are people, made in God's image no matter who or what they believe.

We have a lot of homeless people now since there are literally no homes to put people in, and it may be many now living in 'housing projects' like as seen in the US - huge homes/tenenments/slums where you don't have a backyard and you can be on the 16th floor with no space for your children or any family.

In NZ, there had been enough land for a 1/4 acre 'paradise' which led to a lot of urban sprawl, but, at least there was room. The other alternative was packing everyone into towers. Rural is rural and city is city. Leaky homes were a huge problem (and still are) though am not sure what the solution is. Our infrastructure is packing up, there are sinkholes now and some cities experiencing water shortages while others have sewage overflows. We don't have large areas of flat land that can just expand forever, maybe the land just can't support that many people? But then there's people with huge holiday homes sitting empty and not being used for half the year because the owner has so many residences that they can't be in 5 places at once.

Govts are told they need to buyout people's homes because the land they gave consent to build on was not stable. The RMA (resource management act) had been revoked and now everyones frantically building but its always a case of catch up. I think unless the Lord builds the house, we labour in vain.

And I've had enough of labouring in vain. I remember praying for these problems we were facing many years ago when first home buyers were facing huge debts and obstacles. I know many young people counted the cost and decided no, there is no way we can ever afford one. Boomer generation are fine, govt has always looked after them (fancy luxury apartments are their lot now they have equity) but that has left subsequent generations with nothing.

Sorry if I'm going on about it. I'd just like to know what God's solution to those facing hardship is. Do we make friends with mammon of unrighteousness so we can be let into their lasting habitations? What does that really mean. Many people have extra homes..do we need better landlords or what. We have landlords renting out substandard homes to people and not maintaining them and charging them exorbitant rent, and then foreign buyers buying 'investment property' but failing to look after their tenants and they push up rents and prices. But then some tenants can be really bad. So I don't know the answers.

Back