Habitat for Humanity

I'm wondering if anyone on here has built a house and how do you go about it.
I'm seeing lots of new houses go up around the city but I'm not certain they will even last five years because they don't seem to be made of proper materials or have good roofs. I know people need housing and it needs to be affordable but cardboard houses on shaky ground or flood prone land...really?

Is there any solution to the housing shortage?

Ok...nobody?

huh. I suppose everyone's houses are full to the brim already.

Hey Lanolin;

In New Zealand they will have alternative home living compared to traditional real estate (property and home ownership.) You have to research where in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga.

Look into modulars, (today's upgraded mobile home).

small.jpg
1637697276686.jpeg1637697466787.jpegNew Zealand

1637697328587.jpeg
Dome Home

Some of these require hookup for petrol, gas and water. Others require an outhouse for going to the bathroom. You may have to pay rent for the land your home is on but a lot of people enjoy this option of living because of lower property taxes and low maintenance.

We have friends in Arizona that own their land but opted to have a small modular home built with an outhouse.

The trouble with building houses in the U.K. is that you need planning permission and it costs a fortune.

We also have quite a bit of what is known as a green belt area, places where it’s illegal to build on.

Land is owned by someone, there isn’t hardly any free land anymore. So it costs to get permission to build, and even to see who’s land it is your looking at!

I prefer to live up a tree. Treehouses just seem to be so much more attractive and they take up no space😊

Trailer park
But I don't think people like them as permanent options.
Or the jail..least you get a bed in there and the roof doesn't leak.

Here people are staying in motels if they don't have their own home, and rentals are averaging $600 a week market price. Which is not affordable on a wage income (need at least 2-3 incomes to survive on that). But then you might be sharing a home with 8+ people.

Module homes only work for 2 people. Any more than that its crowded as, and if you add children its not ideal. Children are noisy and they can hardly get any homework done in a busy, crowded family. If there's no room, you just end up doing all your work on the floor.

You also need completely flat land for a modular home or a trailer. There are so many hills in the North Island its not easy to find a totally flat piece of ground, its not like Kansas.

It sounds difficult. The US is a pretty large country with a population of 334,699,685. Still, when I travel, I am always amazed at how much open areas we have. ranted, someone owns every foot of non-government land in the country, but there is no shortage of land for sale.

Rtm

I was delivering learning packs today, and one boy's address was the park village (which also has trailer accomodations) but, it seems like he's not there any more as his mother moved away.
I hope he's in a safe home because those villages are more temporary for low-income earners and there were many people there living quite near to one another and possibly sharing communal baths, toilets, laundries and kitchens.

In the suburbs one solution is to build another dwelling in the backyard so that there is practically no yard left. If the ground is flat and not taken up with anything else then they could squeeze another house there.

The other is to build high rise apartments in the city, near the office blocks. For people who work in offices, they might as well be sleeping in them! But then most people moved to NZ to get away from overcrowded conditions in other countries....

!

It sounds difficult. The US is a pretty large country with a population of 334,699,685. Still, when I travel, I am always amazed at how much open areas we have. ranted, someone owns every foot of non-government land in the country, but there is no shortage of land for sale.

Rtm
not affordable though for most people who need the homes.

In the Bible nobody had to buy the land..it was just given to them by God. You might build a house and it might cost you money, but you didn't have to buy the land.

In the Bible nobody had to buy the land..it was just given to them by God. You might build a house and it might cost you money, but you didn't have to buy the land.
Well, kind of:

"6 But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood.” 7 And they consulted together and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. 8 Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day."

Matthew 27:6-8 New King James Version

Well, kind of:

"6 But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood.” 7 And they consulted together and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. 8 Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day."

Matthew 27:6-8 New King James Version​

As well as...

But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,
(Act 5:1)

what we have been seeing here in the uk is that people are staying at home longer with their parents, or, people that have spare rooms have been renting them out to strangers. even renting out there sheds or backyard isn't uncommon in London.

As well as...

But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,
(Act 5:1)
What was the potter's field?
I mean...was it an old quarry...? Anyway it wasn't to build houses on it was to bury the dead!

As for Anais and Saphirra they weren't buying they were selling, but they actually kept some of it back.

I don't think it's that healthy to live in a garage, because a car could drive in any moment. And I don't think the ventilation is very good (carbon monoxide fumes? petrol/gas fumes?) unless your car is electric....

It would be like living in a stable in the olden days. Well Jesus was born in one. Possibly very smelly!

Last edited:
Farmers seem like they have lots of land, but it's only in the hands of very few now its become corporatised and there are less small holdings (I think that's called) but the people that got in first would have become very rich selling it to property developers and cutting it up into smaller and smaller lots (in nz, called 'sections')

Originally, the land was amicably traded, then fought over in wars, then confiscated and bought, but there was a time when some govts were actually GIVING away land (land reforms, homestead acts, land ballots etc) in hopes more people would settle there, and they would have a majority govt. Because back then, only LANDOWNERS, or landlords, could vote and be represented in parliament.

A lot of land was taken from indigenous people that way, who were the first to look after it, but many who bought it after them did not respect the land and polluted it. EG. industrial waste areas were created that ruined fishing and hunting grounds, where people could catch their food. Instead of growing food to feed the community, it's now grown to be sold overseas.

Back