Hackers can now steal data via electrical outlet

I think its nice that hackers can openly hold a public conference to brag about their efforts to complicate or even ruin peoples lives on a whim. I look forward to reading about the NBCTA's (National Burglary and Car Theft Association) annual convention. this year. I hear I could be hosting it at my house while I'm on vacation. :rolleyes:
Honestly, it is nice to know that there is a way to stay up to date on what hacking techniques are being introduced, from the horse's mouth, before it becomes common practice. It seems a little lopsided that these guys are holding conferences while I can't even type the the intro lyrics to the golden oldie, "Blue Moon", in my search bar without feeling like the NSA's gonna show upon my front door step with a search and seizure warrant before I even click "search."

When you type on a standard computer keyboard, electrical signals run through the cable to the PC. Those cables aren't shielded, so the signal leaks via the ground wire in the cable and into the ground wire on the computer's power supply.

Hmmm, that's actually pretty clever.
I hadn't thought about the IO cables being unshielded. This is basically turning the outlet into a sensitive metal detector/ohm meter. Then analyzing the signal strength with data conversion software.

Not bad, but I know a better way and this method wouldn't work on laptops unless an external keyboard was attached.

Back