Harry Potter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is not a shock really, it seems like these days a gay character has to be portrayed somewhere in the story line in the entertainment world. They just have to be included.:rolleyes:

I have never read Harry Potter, just the knowledge of it being about witchcraft was enough for me and my sons to steer clear.

butterflywings

even kids books are corrupted.there is a kids book called inside and outside,the child is using hand signals on the cover .if you read it you will realise that evil is blinding the whole world.

This was such a ridiculous political move. I mean, nothing in the books anywhere mention it, the two characters relationship were only mentioned in the last book, and it was described as a friendship that went bad because one wanted to take over the world. Now that the books are completely finished, a popular character is suddenly gay? I mean, that's crazy. How does a dead fictional character come out of the closet? Even so, there was no implied sexual activity anyway, only interest, she was pretty careful about how she approached it.

The books are just fantasy. Modern witchcraft is pretty pathetic by comparison. Have you ever avoided stepping on a crack, or walking under a ladder, knocked on wood, etc... That's all part of Wicca and druidism. If reading the books made me long for that life again, I would stand against them.

Still, it's really offensive to retroactively make a character gay. Not brave enough to loose the revenue by doing it in the books. This is like saying that Scrooge used to be in love with Kratchet. It's not something that happened anywhere in the story, but suddenly at a whim, a DEAD character suddenly has more story than was written. Horrible practice.

Satan is gay?

hmmm...actually, that could explain a lot now that I think about it...

The books are just fantasy. Modern witchcraft is pretty pathetic by comparison. Have you ever avoided stepping on a crack, or walking under a ladder, knocked on wood, etc... That's all part of Wicca and druidism. If reading the books made me long for that life again, I would stand against them.

Still, it's really offensive to retroactively make a character gay. Not brave enough to loose the revenue by doing it in the books. This is like saying that Scrooge used to be in love with Kratchet. It's not something that happened anywhere in the story, but suddenly at a whim, a DEAD character suddenly has more story than was written. Horrible practice.

Hey Ban,

perfect in beuty and vainity.i bet he takes longer to prime himself than most catwalk queens.look to his traits see his followers.

Just fantasy? The problem is that it is sutble... as you say about "knock on wood" - it has become a part of vocabulary - why?

Why do people wish each other "Good luck"? There is no such thing as "luck". We have too far removed God from our vocabulary - and then allow "just fantasy" to capture the imaginations of the youth?

I cannot speak to the story - as I have never read one nor will I. In fact, I stay away from most if not all fiction. Our thoughts should be on God and His reality - not the fiction of ghosts, goblins, witches, and sorcery.

However, I will agree that it is a "cheap" move now - one that is probably trying to push more sales of the books. Now those who have not read it, might read it for the story line. It is also dangerous to those that HAVE read the book and will see the "homosexual relationship" via power of suggestion.

Since when is homosexuality a plus for anything- we live in dark times with twisted ideas.

But we are the lights- and like Christ we draw men by-
Lifting up Jesus
Showing God's love

Lots of people feel that they must avoid certain things to avoid temptation. If this is the path you have chosen, I will not EVER say that you are wrong in it. My convictions steer me away from television, alcohol in any form, and many other things that are a weakness to me. I can very happily read about elves and magic and have no temptation whatsoever.

However, it is not possible to completely shelter yourself without completely sheltering yourself from society. If that is your path, again, I will not say you are wrong in it. The internet has many, many worse things in it than 7 books contains.

The thing is these books are read by a wide range of people, but children in particular are drawn to the Harry Potter stories, and the movies.
I have read from another source, I can't remember where, but kids were asked questions about Harry Potter, and some of the replies were worrying. They wanted to be witches and cast spells and do all the magical stuff they saw. Some even admit to casting their own spells, believing there is truth and power in it.
Children are impressionable and if they don't have a parent who teaches them the difference between fantasy and reality and aren't discerning or caring enough to make judgement calls on what they allow their children to be exposed to, then, these kids minds are an open doorway for satan to enter and plant seeds of evil and mischief. Don't forget there are thousands of kids out there who are not raised in God fearing homes and/or are pretty much neglected by their parents who couldn't care less what their kids read or watch.

When my kids were young they watched a couple of kung fu movies or Power Rangers, then they would start imitating and re-enacting all the action scenes afterwards. I did put a stop to that. Well it did have alot to do with the fact my son put his foot through the entertainment glass door. Lol. He didn't get hurt though. I am just giving an example of how children may read, or watch and then they imitate.

butterflywings

:goodpost:

I would tend to agree with that. There is only one problem with it though. Freedom of press prevents us from deciding who can/can't read them. If parents buy them for their kids, there is no way to make the parents teach the kids properly.

If you choose to read them, and are not tempted, I say fine. If you give them to your kids, KNOW what you are giving them and be more than prepared to explain it to your kids so they know it's fantasy.

However, taking a blind stance against them, just makes you the enemy. IMO, making a dead character retroactively gay, is just pointless. She wasn't brave enough to sacrifice revenue by writing it in the books, but now that she has the money, she gets to appeal to a new group in some way. It's ridiculous. I'm not really a fan of the series, though I did enjoy the stories as they are well thought out and presented. If I was a fan, I would probably be more than outraged by this, even more than those that never read the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back