Have "christians" Decided To Pick And Choose Parts Of The Bible? Your Thoughts?

The other thing I see is flat out denial of scripture. A common one in my mind is Matthew 6:15, which states that if we do not forgive others, then God will not forgive us. I have been told on several occasions that this was irrelevant, because it was "before Jesus died". So in essence is this to mean that we no longer have to forgive anyone? I think not.
Anyway, that sums up what I have been seeing lately and I wondered if I was alone, I welcome any thoughts & discussion- it would be much appreciated.
We don't need to memorise that verse as an OT law, but it is an eye opener when we ask 'what Christian can't forgive'?

These days are definitely more evil. Evil is rubbing off on the best of us. We can't say someone is not a Christian because they have layers of dirt on them. We need to look deeper. We are all going from glory to glory. If we neglect fellowship with the saints we get dirty. We need to exhort / wash one another.

In my books, if the only 'ambassadorial stand' made is to not deny Christ as the only Messiah and Son of God before others, you are a Christian! Look at how '''Christians''' who live in an extremity of sin condone any other belief. They can't make a stand on and for the truth. They will not stand alone in the firing line.

Heb 10:23-27
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

You are correct. A great deal of Gods instructions to us are being ignored. We all fail Him in some way. But, it does seems that we should at least try.

I'm just as guilty as any: Every day,
I seem to find
another way
to disobey.

you bring up a good point dave. I think we all do, sometimes take scripture out of cotext to meet our own selfish desires. It is a constant struggle, and we need to focus on not doing that every day.

Karson, in my circle of Christian friends, and at the church I attend, things are the exact opposite from what you describe. All I ever here is the love, joy, and forgiveness. I never here "repent or ye shall all likewise perish."

I often wonder if churches choose to leave out the fire and brimstone, and neglect to "rebuke and reprove sin, in season and out."

I wonder if churches are afraid that a tough love message will leave the offering plate empty.

If you are getting that message at your church, perhaps we can trade places. I like to hear a good old fashion haranguing now and then.

Karson, in my circle of Christian friends, and at the church I attend, things are the exact opposite from what you describe. All I ever here is the love, joy, and forgiveness. I never here "repent or ye shall all likewise perish."I often wonder if churches choose to leave out the fire and brimstone, and neglect to "rebuke and reprove sin, in season and out."I wonder if churches are afraid that a tough love message will leave the offering plate empty.If you are getting that message at your church, perhaps we can trade places. I like to hear a good old fashion haranguing now and then.
:) Then you will love my church. If you love Jesus you should be able to accept the gospel preached like a whip. Most churches fail to cater for all the 'necessary' meetings. My church has five different meetings a week. 1. Bible study, 2. Prayer meeting, 3. Open ministry, 4. Fellowship and then for the unsaved a gospel meeting. The unsaved will feel completely out of place / or extremely changed at most of those except for the gospel meeting.

Karson, in my circle of Christian friends, and at the church I attend, things are the exact opposite from what you describe. All I ever here is the love, joy, and forgiveness. I never here "repent or ye shall all likewise perish."

I often wonder if churches choose to leave out the fire and brimstone, and neglect to "rebuke and reprove sin, in season and out."

I wonder if churches are afraid that a tough love message will leave the offering plate empty.

If you are getting that message at your church, perhaps we can trade places. I like to hear a good old fashion haranguing now and then.

Well............We all need IMO to have an Old Fashioned, "fire and brimstone" preacher who preaches the Word of God without apology.

It is a clear and easy message that must be given out..........."Get under the blood or you will get the FIRE"!

you bring up a good point dave. I think we all do, sometimes take scripture out of cotext to meet our own selfish desires. It is a constant struggle, and we need to focus on not doing that every day.
I have found, that approaching scripture with an objective mind, rather than a subjective mind, I gain a greater understanding. My mind is more open to the teaching of the Holy Spirit, when I shut out all my childhood teachings, and all I think I have learned, from others who insert their own private interpretations. I would never be so bold as to say, I have it all figured out. But, for the most part, it's not a rocket science. And Jesus said the comforter will teach us all things. As an experienced educator, to me this seems like the best instructor we could have. And, I feel my relationship to God becomes more personal, when His Holy Spirit is teaching me.

and that is something we should all do dave, and most of us try, but being human its something we all im sure have failed to do at least some of the time in our lives, myself included.

Well............We all need IMO to have an Old Fashioned, "fire and brimstone" preacher who preaches the Word of God without apology.

Rev. Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church is that to a tee. And that is the problem. :sick:

no, rev fred phelps is not that to a T. A good, fire and brimstone teacher, actually loves people, there is no love in westboro. Hes not an old fashioned fire and brimstone preacher, hes just fire and brimstone.

Hello

I was wondering if this was only in my select group of friends, or if it was a common denominator among other Christian groups of friends? There are certain scriptures that people tend to overlook- or worse yet, pretend they don't exist. Somewhere along the way, it seems Christians have lost focus on several truths of scripture. Is there some reason for this? Does anyone have any insight? I know that no Christian is perfect, and that the only perfect person was Jesus- but isn't there at least some degree of attempting to be Christ like? Recently, in interacting with several circles of online friends (which I have other non-Internet Christian friends and that is a different issue), but whether they are online or not- I notice a lot of Christians, nae those who claim to bear HIS Name, doing things which contradict scripture. The following ones are some that stand out, and was wondering what anyone's thoughts were. Is this the new "normal" because we are facing the end times, if this is the new "normal" to overlook The Word of God- then we are in dangerous territory. Here are the verses:

# 1- Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.- Ephesians 4:31

# 2- To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.- Titus 3:2

# 3- Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.- Ephesians 4:21

We are called, as Christians to be examples to others. So what kind of an example is being set if you are bitter, hateful, spread malice and content with others? What kind of a witness is that to a non-Christian? It isn't. And I see way too many people who claim to be Christians that act opposite of that- is it my imagination or is this getting worse?

The other thing I see is flat out denial of scripture. A common one in my mind is Matthew 6:15, which states that if we do not forgive others, then God will not forgive us. I have been told on several occasions that this was irrelevant, because it was "before Jesus died". So in essence is this to mean that we no longer have to forgive anyone? I think not.

Anyway, that sums up what I have been seeing lately and I wondered if I was alone, I welcome any thoughts & discussion- it would be much appreciated.

Paul in these verses, is really addressing new believers. Apparently those being saved were still subject to living their new belief ONLY in there minds and not in their walks. Paul was always like this as Peter acknowledges himself in 2Peter 3:15. Of course we are ALL subject to the instructions in ALL of God's Word. These are ONLY three of them, but just as important as any. Nothing in the Bible is irrelevant unless God's Word shows it is. That means much of the written Law in the OT is, but that doesn't mean we stop using it. The ENTIRE Bible interprets itself.

Back