Have YOU Been Persecuted Because You Are A Christian?

Jesus said in John 15:20........
“Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will keep yours also.”

Matthew 5:12 says, .....
"Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

This thread is an opportunity for those of us who have experienced "persecution" due to the fact that we are Christians. I thought it would help those who are being persecuted or have been to vent and seek advice and help from the body of Christ.

In the USA, we tend to believe that we are protected against religious persecution. But as you have seen on TV, that just is not the case at all. Now, what do you think it is like in other countries????

The restrictions and persecution suffered by followers in hostile nations would challenge some of the most outspoken gospel-preaching Christians. Our Western culture and protections provide us with luxuries and comforts that make us complacent and unprepared for persecution. The truth is we are not immune, and according to Scripture, all Christians should expect persecution.

Now, it should be realized that not all persecution of Christians is easily observed. It is not like it stands at the front door with a knife in its hand.
Satan is subtle, and sneaky! He is the manipulator of persecution, but not all of his tactics are overt and brutal. Often he whispers lies and convinces us that if we live boldly in our Christianity, we might lose something valuable like our job, our friends, or the respect of our peers. Satan's greatest victory is helping us become comfortable in the world and quiet about Jesus.

The root of persecution of Christians is to make YOU keep your mouth shut and never speak the name of Jesus Christ.
You see.....all people are sinners. YOU are a sinner! The difference is YOU and I are forgiven sinners and those who persecute you are not, and at the name of Jesus Christ they are immediately "Convicted" of their sin! They know they need to change....so why do those sinners refuse to accept Christ and be saved?????

Because they like the sin they are in and they feel better about themselves and their guilt when they can persecute YOU !!!!!

I don't know who around here thinks we are all shielded from persecution just because we live in the West, because I've been burned at the stake several times now...like they tried to boil John in oil before sending him to Patmos Island...

But seriously, I like what James had to say on the matter:

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

2. specifically, the trial of man's fidelity, integrity, virtue, constancy, etc.: 1 Peter 4:12; also an enticement to sin, temptation, whether arising from the desires or from outward circumstances, Luke 8:13; 1 Corinthians 10:13; ὑπομένειν πειρασμόν, James 1:12; an internal temptation to sin, 1 Timothy 6:9; of the temptation by which the devil sought to divert Jesus the Messiah from his divine errand, Luke 4:13; of a condition of things, or a mental state, by which we are enticed to sin, or to a lapse from faith and holiness: in the phrases εἰσφέρειν τινα εἰς πειρασμόν, Matthew 6:13; Luke 11:4; ἐισέρχεσθαι εἰς πειρασμόν, Matthew 26:41; Mark 14:38 (here T WH ἔλθητε); Luke 22:40, 46; adversity, affliction, trouble (cf. our trial), sent by God and serving to test or prove one's faith, holiness, character: plural, Luke 22:28; Acts 20:19; James 1:2; 1 Peter 1:6; τόν πειρασμόν μου τόν ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου, my temptation arising from my bodily infirmity, Galatians 4:14 Rec. (but see a. above); ὥρα τοῦ πειρασμοῦ, Revelation 3:10; ἐκ πειρασμοῦ ῤύεσθαι, 2 Peter 2:9 (Deuteronomy 7:19; Deuteronomy 29:3; Sir. 2:1 Sir. 6:7 Sir. 36:1 (Sir. 33:1); 1 Macc. 2:52). [Thayer's Greek Lexicon]

We can see the constellation of meaning in the Greek term referenced above. As can also be seen above, persecution AND temptations in the flesh and from the world, ALL work toward our testing in general, and the verse Major shared above from the very words of Christ whereby the servants is not greater than the master...that too hits home to the fact that...YEAH, we're all going to get hit with hardships, temptations and persecutions, remember that Christ Himself was tempted with all temptations such as is common to man!

Amen

MM

Last edited:
Hello Major and Musicmaster;

Celebrating Christ's Birthday also includes our continued work for the Gospel, witness and ministering. Other than time to rest, it never ends.

Major, chances are, most readers who read your thread have no idea because of inexperience nor know how to get started.

I'm sure you, MM and many others were at one time baffled by this thread but we did receive a way to get started. It took a seasoned man or woman of God to minister to us.

I'm persecuted daily just by co-existing in our community mixed with others who renounce Christianity. Our community includes 9 large counties.

To understand your objective Have YOU Been Persecuted Because You Are A Christian? a believer needs to be schooled (discipled,) trained and equipped for sharing Jesus because they will be confronted by unbelievers, some polite and some hostile.

It takes
practice, how to establish a common ground, how to LISTEN to the person being witnessed to, develop discernment of the Holy Spirit and being equipped what to say at that time and moment.

Most of my mission is here in the United States. My short term missions in other countries helped give me valuable perspective of how they worship Christ. I was blessed to witness their enthused evangelism and God's results of bringing one more to Christ Jesus.

My advice to Christians being persecuted in person, on the internet, etc...is to humble ourselves and ask Jesus to equip us by praying and develop an academic discipline in Bible reading. Refrain from being objective to the teacher's leading, rather, have a
LISTENING ear and ask questions.

Evangelizing takes practice and the more we get out there we begin to interact with all peoples. The more we interact with them the more we develop how to have a constructive conversation of sharing the Gospel. When others push back, let them speak and LISTEN, respectfully. With practice we are able to defend our apologetics of why we believe, while sustaining our disposition of love, gentleness and respect.

When I see squabbling and mindless talk over the Gospel and our faith, the Christian fails, the conversation abruptly ends and the unbeliever would have the mindset of rejecting Christianity after a conversation gone bad. God help us when two Christians resort to this and I'm not talking about a constructive Christian discussion or debate.

But how do I get started? There are so many opportunities to get started. First of all, ASK!

Matthew 7:7-8, 7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. - NKJV

We're all sinners and fall short of God's glory. Don't allow yourself to use this as an excuse to disobey the Great Commission, reference Matthew 28:18-20. God takes the weakest of ourselves and promotes us as Servants for His glory.

I'm only sharing my story. It's had its share of progress and setbacks as a man of God. But the
practice that I mentioned earlier also includes my choice to stand in faith with our God. For that I'm truly blessed.

God bless
you, Major, for sharing this topic which should give us all much to think about in our growing faith.

Merry Christmas,
Major, and your whole family.

Bob

Hello Major and Musicmaster;

Celebrating Christ's Birthday also includes our continued work for the Gospel, witness and ministering. Other than time to rest, it never ends.

Major, chances are, most readers who read your thread have no idea because of inexperience nor know how to get started.

I'm sure you, MM and many others were at one time baffled by this thread but we did receive a way to get started. It took a seasoned man or woman of God to minister to us.

I'm persecuted daily just by co-existing in our community mixed with others who renounce Christianity. Our community includes 9 large counties.

To understand your objective Have YOU Been Persecuted Because You Are A Christian? a believer needs to be schooled (discipled,) trained and equipped for sharing Jesus because they will be confronted by unbelievers, some polite and some hostile.

It takes
practice, how to establish a common ground, how to LISTEN to the person being witnessed to, develop discernment of the Holy Spirit and being equipped what to say at that time and moment.

Most of my mission is here in the United States. My short term missions in other countries helped give me valuable perspective of how they worship Christ. I was blessed to witness their enthused evangelism and God's results of bringing one more to Christ Jesus.

My advice to Christians being persecuted in person, on the internet, etc...is to humble ourselves and ask Jesus to equip us by praying and develop an academic discipline in Bible reading. Refrain from being objective to the teacher's leading, rather, have a
LISTENING ear and ask questions.

Evangelizing takes practice and the more we get out there we begin to interact with all peoples. The more we interact with them the more we develop how to have a constructive conversation of sharing the Gospel. When others push back, let them speak and LISTEN, respectfully. With practice we are able to defend our apologetics of why we believe, while sustaining our disposition of love, gentleness and respect.

When I see squabbling and mindless talk over the Gospel and our faith, the Christian fails, the conversation abruptly ends and the unbeliever would have the mindset of rejecting Christianity after a conversation gone bad. God help us when two Christians resort to this and I'm not talking about a constructive Christian discussion or debate.

But how do I get started? There are so many opportunities to get started. First of all, ASK!

Matthew 7:7-8, 7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. - NKJV

We're all sinners and fall short of God's glory. Don't allow yourself to use this as an excuse to disobey the Great Commission, reference Matthew 28:18-20. God takes the weakest of ourselves and promotes us as Servants for His glory.

I'm only sharing my story. It's had its share of progress and setbacks as a man of God. But the
practice that I mentioned earlier also includes my choice to stand in faith with our God. For that I'm truly blessed.

God bless
you, Major, for sharing this topic which should give us all much to think about in our growing faith.

Merry Christmas,
Major, and your whole family.

Bob
I thought this would be an opportunity for those who are being persecuted to vent and share their experiences and concerns. They may ve able to draw some strength for those here.

I agree that It is difficult for those who live in America to be persecuted for their Christian faith, but it happens none the less.

About 25 years ago, one of my church member's daughter, worked for an Orthomolecular surgeon. She was his surgical operating nurse. Once a year for a two week, period, he would take his team to Pakistan and do free eye surgery on children. Now they were warned to not use, or say or talk the word Jesus or Christ to any of the children. There was a guard in the room at all times and if they had uttered anything about their Christian faith, they could have been executed. THAT right there is something we have not had happen here in the USA.

I don't know who around here thinks we are all shielded from persecution just because we live in the West, because I've been burned at the stake several times now...like they tried to boil John in oil before sending him to Patmos Island...

But seriously, I like what James had to say on the matter:

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

2. specifically, the trial of man's fidelity, integrity, virtue, constancy, etc.: 1 Peter 4:12; also an enticement to sin, temptation, whether arising from the desires or from outward circumstances, Luke 8:13; 1 Corinthians 10:13; ὑπομένειν πειρασμόν, James 1:12; an internal temptation to sin, 1 Timothy 6:9; of the temptation by which the devil sought to divert Jesus the Messiah from his divine errand, Luke 4:13; of a condition of things, or a mental state, by which we are enticed to sin, or to a lapse from faith and holiness: in the phrases εἰσφέρειν τινα εἰς πειρασμόν, Matthew 6:13; Luke 11:4; ἐισέρχεσθαι εἰς πειρασμόν, Matthew 26:41; Mark 14:38 (here T WH ἔλθητε); Luke 22:40, 46; adversity, affliction, trouble (cf. our trial), sent by God and serving to test or prove one's faith, holiness, character: plural, Luke 22:28; Acts 20:19; James 1:2; 1 Peter 1:6; τόν πειρασμόν μου τόν ἐν τῇ σαρκί μου, my temptation arising from my bodily infirmity, Galatians 4:14 Rec. (but see a. above); ὥρα τοῦ πειρασμοῦ, Revelation 3:10; ἐκ πειρασμοῦ ῤύεσθαι, 2 Peter 2:9 (Deuteronomy 7:19; Deuteronomy 29:3; Sir. 2:1 Sir. 6:7 Sir. 36:1 (Sir. 33:1); 1 Macc. 2:52). [Thayer's Greek Lexicon]

We can see the constellation of meaning in the Greek term referenced above. As can also be seen above, persecution AND temptations in the flesh and from the world, ALL work toward our testing in general, and the verse Major shared above from the very words of Christ whereby the servants is not greater than the master...that too hits home to the fact that...YEAH, we're all going to get hit with hardships, temptations and persecutions, remember that Christ Himself was tempted with all temptations such as is common to man!

Amen

MM
I am glad you survived!

When my wife and I were in Walmart about 3 years ago, my wife said to the check out clerk......."Merry Christmas".

She lady said "Happy Holidays". My wife said......Thank you but it is Christmas, the birth of Jesus the Christ!
The lady said .....I KNOW< But the manager said we can not say Merry Christmas and offend anyone!!!

Back