Hearing from the Holy Spirit

Love your puppy! My wife has a Yorki as well. Smart and stubborn but really cute. My wife calls her Coco and I call her Killer.
Smart and stubborn and definitely killer... lol
I also have a Griffonshire, a designer dog. Half Brussels Griffon / half Yorki. Adorable....

I also have a Griffonshire, a designer dog. Half Brussels Griffon / half Yorki. Adorable....

Since we have had "Killer" as a watch dog, we have not seen one single bear in the house.

God has given each of us spiritual gifts snd there is a gift of discernment you can certainly ask for this.
He can speak to us through dreams too. Certainly Joseph had this gift. Job mentioned it. Peter and Paul had visions.
Often God speaks to us in a still small voice.

All of us can prophesy if we are reading His word. Dont quench the spirit. To get deeper with GOd we need to make time to hear Him. Many people tend to think of prayer as a one way conversation we just talk to God and dont expect Him to answer us. We can be quick to pray long winded prayers and then say Amen and then basically hang up! Um hello? GOd wants us to hear Him not just us talk all the time!

God often does not directly speak to us out loud because if you can imagine it would be terrifying for everyone to hear the Almighty talk we would all fall down on our knees. BUt the times He did speak in the Bible not just through his prophets (who wrote down everything He said) He spoke when Jesus was baptised and again at his transfiguration and said 'this is my beloved Son, Hear ye him' and everyone heard it.

So what does that mean for us christians, we have a conversation with Jesus! And Jesus understand us cos He was human just like us too. So its not like we have to go up to the mountain like Moses did and cover his face.

Not in anyway to argue with you, but I for one can not agree with you that God speaks to us through dreams today. You are welcome to believe that and it is a very popular thought so you will have lots of company.

I would simply say that our minds and Satan himself is capable of producing deception in the area of our dreams. That is why it is so very important to validate everything with the Bible. Dreams and visions are very, very, subjective.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 shows that God has revealed His will to us primarily through His Word......
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

YES, God did speak to men in days past through visions and dreams. I would then also suggest that we consider Hebrews 1:1-2 ..............
"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe."

Now consider further. Hebrews 4:12 ...........
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

So then IMO, the Bible says to us that God proclaims emphatically that His word is to be the "discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Therefore God has given us the tool or the means to determine if our experiences, dreams or visions are from Him or not.

Back