Hearing God?

I have done what you suggested and I hardly ever hear from Him in those times. I talk to Him in those times and stop and keep quiet for a time to just listen, but most times I feel like I am wasting my time doing this because He doesn't speak back. Most of the time I feel like it is a one way conversation and I run out of things to say, so I stop praying. I get frustrated by it sometimes. Do I just need to keep at it and be more disciplined? Why is it so difficult?

Brother, I think most if not all Christians are expecting that when the Lord to speak to them it will be through the same means we speak to another human being by using word sentences to communicate a thought or idea. Sense the Lord lives in eternity, his method of communications is far more advance than what we would normally think. The Lord has been speaking to me for almost 40 years, and I have never had the Lord sit me down and explain anything to me in your normal word structured sentences, like I am using here. It has always been a revelation given to me by the Spirit of God in fraction of a second, and within that brief moment I was given complete understanding of what ever I was asking for or thinking about. Now, if I was going to explain it to you what the Lord said to me in that fraction of a moment, it would require me to use "words", and structured sentences to communicated that to you, and it would take time to do that.
The Lord can and does speak to us by revelation that speaks volumes if we had to share that with other people. Yes, the Lord uses words, but they come after a revelation is given to us.
Many times I tell other Christians to listen to what they speak out of their own mouths, because many times the Lord speaks to us through our own mouth. You can imagine the looks you would get telling people this, but it is true.

Pro 16:1 The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.

Brother, I think most if not all Christians are expecting that when the Lord to speak to them it will be through the same means we speak to another human being by using word sentences to communicate a thought or idea. Sense the Lord lives in eternity, his method of communications is far more advance than what we would normally think. The Lord has been speaking to me for almost 40 years, and I have never had the Lord sit me down and explain anything to me in your normal word structured sentences, like I am using here. It has always been a revelation given to me by the Spirit of God in fraction of a second, and within that brief moment I was given complete understanding of what ever I was asking for or thinking about. Now, if I was going to explain it to you what the Lord said to me in that fraction of a moment, it would require me to use "words", and structured sentences to communicated that to you, and it would take time to do that.
The Lord can and does speak to us by revelation that speaks volumes if we had to share that with other people. Yes, the Lord uses words, but they come after a revelation is given to us.
Many times I tell other Christians to listen to what they speak out of their own mouths, because many times the Lord speaks to us through our own mouth. You can imagine the looks you would get telling people this, but it is true.

Pro 16:1 The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.
Thank you so much for sharing this information with me because this confirms some things for me, because God does speak to me in a very similar way. It is just that often I can't seem to "hear" Him in the times when I feel I really need to, or there is a considerable time gap. I really want that regular back and forth conversation. I guess I just need to be patient and it will develop with time and with faith.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me because this confirms some things for me, because God does speak to me in a very similar way. It is just that often I can't seem to "hear" Him in the times when I feel I really need to, or there is a considerable time gap. I really want that regular back and forth conversation. I guess I just need to be patient and it will develop with time and with faith.
While being human we are always expecting things to progress in how we want them to progress. I have had many times the Lord spoke to me in some pretty unusual places that I did not expect. You will find "timing" is very important to the Lord. But there is something we must always do so we don't miss these times, and that is always have your heart set on the Lord at all times. Most believe we are to pray a few minutes a day, but that is not true. We are to pray always with all manner of prayer at all times. The Lord only speaks to those who have their heart set on him. It's pretty rude to break in to someones thoughts if you do not have their attention. If you are listening all the time you will hear his voice.

1Th 5:17.. Pray without ceasing.

Eph 6:18.. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Last edited:
The still small voice you mean is the holy spirit.
God does speak audibly but only on rare occasions, as he has already spoken through his prophets and lastly through Jesus.

You can always chat to Jesus. This is spiritual communication, as we have the mind of Christ.
There is no doubt it is God if what He says is confirmed through His written Word.

The still small voice you mean is the holy spirit.
God does speak audibly but only on rare occasions, as he has already spoken through his prophets and lastly through Jesus.
The Lord does speak "audibly" when he is speaking through a person. For example......

Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

The Holy Ghost did not speak out of thin air from no where. He spoke through one of those who were ministering to the Lord. We can speak the oracles of God through us after the Lord speaks to us by his Spirit.

But God did speak in an audible voice "out of thin air" to the old testament prophets and in the new testament too when the Father testified about Jesus and when Jesus spoke to Paul on the road to Damascus.

But God did speak in an audible voice "out of thin air" to the old testament prophets and in the new testament too when the Father testified about Jesus and when Jesus spoke to Paul on the road to Damascus.

He sure did! He still does this today when He finds it necessary and it fits into His plan. He has spoken to me audibly once. It was an amazing thing that I will NEVER forget!

The Lord can speak to us in all the ways people here have mentioned. You have received really good advice and examples. The only thing I know to add is, listen to the way the Lord wants to speak to you rather than the way you may want Him to. He may choose a dream, His LIVING Word, someone's conversation to you or your conversation to them. A revelation upon prayer or meditating upon God. Even through a vision.
Once in a while the Lord has spoken to me how and when I needed Him to. Most of the time it was when and in a way I least expected it to be.
A few years ago I had a badly infected tooth and I couldn't sleep. My son was just a little boy then and he saw me aching. I told him my tooth hurt so bad. He said to take an ice cube then break it into small pieces and place a small piece directly on the tooth and it won't hurt for a little while. I was stunned and felt stupid following a little boy's advice on tooth pain but I tried it and it worked perfectly. The next day my son didn't even remember telling me anything like that.

Reading this reminded me of a short conversation with the Lord. We had just gotten peace about the exact boat that is for sale that the Lord wants for us to purchase....i said, a doctors boat huh? He said it is the sick that need a doctor, not the well.
Thanks for sharing all that you did!

Yes, He does speak to me regularly through the word. I do know this is one of the ways that He speaks. I do read the bible daily or very nearly so. I also see Him working in my life as well.

The thing that I am seeking for though is that direct back and forth communication that one would get while talking to a close friend.

I also can't understand why I hear from Him clearly sometimes and other times it's like I can't hear from Him. It seems to happen often when I feel I really need an answer from Him on what to do, and I need to make a decision by a certain time.

Something to think about is those times of pressure having to know the answer, sometimes the pressure and the voices are so loud, one has difficulty hearing.

Can i suggest that every time you pray, that you remind yourself that you are His sheep and you know Hie voice. And then meditate on John 10...about the sheep of Jesus.
Blessings!

Hello Mykuhl.
I believe most of us hear what is the truth, the right and wrong through our conscience, the spirit-mind connection.
The Holy Spirit is my conscience, my reference point for what is true.
During my lifetime, I have heard a few strong/clear words, from God/Holy Spirit, into my conscious mind. They were always short, of one to a few words, and straight to the truth of the matter. There were no conversations like I would with another person.
My normal communion I have with God/Christ is through praise and prayer with teaching/revelations in return, But they were not the same as verbal conversations.
Truth is revealed into my spirit-mind from my heart via the Holy Spirit. It is a spiritual knowing, and not a knowledge via logic processes.
Well, that is how it is for me.

If you go back and read what happened to Saul when Jesus appeared to him, Paul retold the story and said this.....

Act 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

So it was NOT a audible voice that was spoken to Paul, for all those who with him heard nothing.

At Jesus's Baptism God told John that who ever you see the Spirit of God come upon and remain, that would be the Messiah. He not say if you hear my voice saying he was, only the Spirit remaining on Jesus. These words that God spoke testifying of who Jesus was are written only to us his Church . No one heard anything except what John the Baptiste testified that Jesus was the Messiah. Jesus tells us here.

Joh 5:32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.
Joh 5:33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
Joh 5:34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
Joh 5:35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
Joh 5:36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Again, we find God speaking from Heaven, but there was no audible voice at all as every one thought it was just thunder.

Joh 12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.
Joh 12:29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

The only reason there were"prophets" in the Old Testament is because spiritually dead people can hear the voice of God. God spoke through his prophets.

Last edited:
Back