Heavy Metal

all i am saying is, why try to get rid of a "bad" form of music while letting our youth listen to stuff 10 times as bad, and tons more accessable.

Heavy Metal

I believe each band/music group (of any form of music) you have to take on a case by case basis & it is also matter of how you perceive the lyrics yourself (some may perceive it more positive or negative). The music (with out lyrics) itself I believe has no bearing.I personally have listened to & enjoyed many types of rock music from soft to heavy over the years. The last few years I have listened less & less to rock & last few years have been listening to music that 90% of it has no lyrics, singing, or spoken word. Though I don’t think we can lump all Heavy Metal or “extreme†music into one category. That’s just my 2cents on the issue. :)

Satan didn't create music, God did...and the Bible is very specific on how we should judge others.

Matt 7:15-20
15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit , but a bad tree bears bad fruit . 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit , nor can a bad tree bear good fruit . 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
NKJV

Luke 6:45
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
NKJV

I can and will judge others...by their words, actions and the fruit it brings or does not bring. I will not judge a person's heart, that is reserved for God and God alone.

What God sees.

1 Sam 16:7
7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
NKJV

What we see.

Prov 27:19
19 As in water face reflects face,
So a man's heart reveals the man.
NKJV

Don't use your taste or preference to judge someone's fruit as you would when buying produce. The Bible is clear about the freedoms allowed believers and the consequences for using those freedoms to sin. This doesn't have to apply only to music but could be used to sort out other media as well.

And by-the-way, I am a huge fan of Christian music, among which rock is my favorite.

Ignorence is why. Ignorence causes alot of things. Fear bing one of the big ones. Heavy Metal itself, in any form or by the way they sound is not evil. the evil is always the people. (VERY small minority, even in extreme music).

this guy is right. yes, there are some bands that glorify satan and other bad things, but it is mostly for shock value and to sell records.

truth is, metal bands like Living Sacrifice and Zao are the only thing that kept me anywhere near God for a long time. they bring a message to a crowd that would otherwise never get a chance to hear the gospel.

music is my passion, and 4th on my list of most important (1. God 2. fiance 3. daughter 4. music)

I agree that you have to judge each artists on their own individual merits. However, I have a higher standard which I seek to attain; to listen to music which is not just Christian IN LABEL but IN FACT. In other words, if they don't mention Christ, how can they be a CHRISTian band? .. :) ...

this is where I have gotten into plenty of arguments with people over their favorite bands that they defend. I do not say it with accusation, but as a fact. A band which does not mention Christ in their lyrics, whose lyrics do not point one to Christ as the ultimate solution, is not a Christian band. :)

I do not believe that zao is a christian band.. at least not what I have read of their lyrics. I do not believe that demon hunter is a christian band. I do not believe that more than half of what is considered "christian metal" now is such.

I suppose I am just an old school fan... back when we had a real move of God in metal music.. bands like Deliverance (when they were good musically and strong lyrically), Tourniquet (my favorite band), Vengeance Rising... when they didn't shy away from the truth.. did not try to "sell God without using His name" ....

this is why I am so passionate that we need more REAL christian metal artists. Not just someone who sticks a label on themselves and then makes music like the rest of the world and sticks a few lines in here or there.. someone who lays it down and speaks the truth without compromise.

I used to LOVE Vengeance. But only the first two albums that Vengeance Rising produced were Christian. After that, they broke up and later Roger Martinez (lead singer) reformed the band proclaiming Atheism. I think one of their last album was called "Satanic Realms of Blasphemy" because he was angry at the Christian community. I barely remember Deliverance, but I had one of their CDs that I absolutely cherished. Couldn't find any more, kinda like One Bad Pig. One album, and I know they made more, but I couldn't get them.

I do like Disciple, though they are a bit of an anomaly musically, most old school metalheads should be able to appreciate them. Youngside Records does a good job of bringing great non-traditional bands to the front of Christian music. I have a great respect for what they are trying to do, even though I'm not a big fan of some of the styles they promote, I did enjoy "Beauty for Ashes" quite a bit.

:goodpost: ...as long as we recognize the opposite is also true.

I used to LOVE Vengeance. But only the first two albums that Vengeance Rising produced were Christian. After that, they broke up and later Roger Martinez (lead singer) reformed the band proclaiming Atheism. I think one of their last album was called "Satanic Realms of Blasphemy" because he was angry at the Christian community. I barely remember Deliverance, but I had one of their CDs that I absolutely cherished. Couldn't find any more, kinda like One Bad Pig. One album, and I know they made more, but I couldn't get them.

I do like Disciple, though they are a bit of an anomaly musically, most old school metalheads should be able to appreciate them. Youngside Records does a good job of bringing great non-traditional bands to the front of Christian music. I have a great respect for what they are trying to do, even though I'm not a big fan of some of the styles they promote, I did enjoy "Beauty for Ashes" quite a bit.

actually, Roger put out two more christian albums under the name. Though they were not as good as the first two.. "Human Sacrifice" and "once dead" were both awesome. And he did NOT put out any secular albums under the name. He put up a website and sent e-mails, he even posted a lot of hateful things and lyrics. I know I read them and I e-mailed him a few times as well. First time I e-mailed I e-mailed him as a christian and he told me I needed "psychiatric help" for my faith.. the second time I e-mailed I e-mailed him as an atheist and he congratulated me on my freedom. Honestly, I see myself in him and I just hope that as his website has faded that God is working on him still and that God revives him like He did to me.

I have most of Deliverance's albums.. there first three were the best.. "deliverance" "weapons of our warfare" and "what a joke" ... after that their musical style changed and then their lyrical style changed and I'm not a big fan of their newer stuff.

One Bad Pig was awesome. I have "I scream sunday" and it is simply awesome.. I LOVE "never forget the cross" But I, like you, have never gotten any of their other albums.. I can but I just haven't.

I love early disciple.. like "by God" and "this might sting a little" but their recent albums have really degraded lyrically and their musical style is not as pungent.

if you want some old school metal you should go to http://www.radrockers.com

There is no such thing as Christian music, only Christian lyrics

:israel:

I agree to an extent.. the only problem is then that there is no such thing as "christian music" and what are we going to call music with christian lyrics? "mwcl?" ... lol .. I prefer to define christian music as music with christian lyrics. :)

this is too often quoted and then the next logical steps are left out.

what makes lyrics "Christian" and is there any standard which can be drawn?

most don't think so. If they did there would be no such argument over whether or not some particular bands are christian are not... my opinion is.. if you have to argue and defend a band being christian.. they are most likely not.

Wow...that site has a LOT to take in. I'm gonna be busy for a while just catching up. @_@ The two music stores I used to get Christian "hard" rock and metal from both stopped selling it. One went uber-Christian and only sells pop and light rock, the other got tired of keeping a stock of Christian music (they mostly specialize in underground punk) and I have to special order everything I want...meaning, I can't just browse for cool new bands.

Back