Hebrews 11:1, interesting word

Hebrews 11:1, interesting word

Some time ago I was reading some of the writings of Adolf Deissmann. Adolf Deissman, (1866–1937) was a German New Testament scholar. He also taught at the University of Berlin. He has written some great works, the two most known are BIBLE STUDIES & LIGHT FROM THE ANCIENT EAST.

Deissmann proved beyond a shadow of doubt (in his book LIGHT FROM THE ANCIENT EAST) that the language of the New Testament time was koine Greek (Street language of the people).

Remember, Alexander the Great, around 350 years before Christ, conquered much of what was then the civilized world (Middle east area) and the language was Greek. As a matter of fact, the language of the first century Jerusalem area was koine Greek.

Adolf Deissmann was also an archeologist and dug up some of the Egyptian dessert. He found that many of the trash dumps he dug up in the dessert the sand preserved the material like as if it was placed there yesterday.
I’ve said all that to say this… Deissmann found document after document of land purchases.

The interesting thing about this is the “Greek word†used in these legal documents showing ownership was “title deed.†The Greek word is “hupostasis.â€

When I found this information, my heart LEAPED WITH JOY for I knew that it was used in Hebrews 11:1 !! I hope your heart leaps with joy also:

Hebrews 11:1 KJV Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance (hupostasis) of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Yes, "substance" COULD HAVE been translated “title deedâ€!! WOW! Praise His Name!

“Now faith is the TITLE DEED of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith

That is interesting, I've actually looked that word up after reading this and I've seen that it can also be translated as a foundation. Faith is the foundation of our belief. Like it says in Hebrews 11:6, without faith it is impossible to please him. Romans 4:5 is also another wonderful verse.

Amen...........Thought I should bump this tread, so we can learn more about Faith.........An teachers of Faith here?.........

Nathi, all I can say about faith is, if you learn to give God the credit and glory for the smallest of things, you can teach yourself to build your faith.
God honors our faith so very much!
He rewards our faith, I have learned.
Back in a time in my life when all I had was God to depend on, I was sure to thank him for every little thing~
it seems he kept answering more and more of my prayers.
My faith is strong, because I know without a doubt that he does honor it and blesses us through it.
As long as a prayer, for example, is not a selfish prayer, and you truly believe that he will give just as he promised, it's already yours~

Faith when applied to the Word of God according to the will of God is limitless in it's power and dramatic in it's results- anything else falls under this catagory:

Jas 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Some believe it is the greatness of their faith but indeed it is in the God that their faith is placed in which all power resides. Believe God , move on His Word ,with His heart and by His leading like the example Jesus set for us and you can move heaven and earth. Alas to many set their faith on earthly treasure and gain- they have missed God's heart all togeather.

The interesting thing about this is the “Greek word†used in these legal documents showing ownership was “title deed.†The Greek word is “hupostasis.â€

When I found this information, my heart LEAPED WITH JOY for I knew that it was used in Hebrews 11:1 !! I hope your heart leaps with joy also:

Hebrews 11:1 KJV Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance (hupostasis) of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Yes, "substance" COULD HAVE been translated “title deedâ€!! WOW! Praise His Name!

“Now faith is the TITLE DEED of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
This is such a rich verse!!
From
John W. Ritenbaugh
Wandering the Wilderness in Faith

Hupostasis, the word translated "substance," means "that which underlies the apparent; that which is the basis of something, hence, assurance, guarantee and confidence" (Spiros Zodhiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament, p. 1426). The English "substance" is built from a prefix and a root which together mean "that which stands under." Webster's defines it as "the real or essential part or element of anything; essence, reality, or basic matter." It is very similar in meaning to hupostasis.
Taking a similar translation for substance, I put together a sermon that faith is the 'basic matter' which God uses to work miracles in a believer's life.

I posted it here http://christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?t=5813

After re-reading your message I am again blessed- thanks HMS!:D

Dear beloved of the Lord, all of you...

CDJ you've just increased my faith...

What do yall think about what's going on in my walk... I will have a need or a want, I see it as already existing ( out there ) and I find it...

I shop mainly (99%) at Savers thrift store... I will ask my Father that I need to up-grade my apparel so I need a black, brown ect. pair of slacks and I prefer Lane Bryant... I go to Savers and there they are, from Lane Bryant and in MY size... In Mint condition, like they are brand new....

I ask for nest featherings, like an Victorian framed mirror no larger than 14" ... I can see it in my mind. I know I will find it... I go to Savers and there it is:confused:

Get the point ? these are just a few of many instances...

I say to the Lord, I know this is not a need, it's a want and even feel bad asking, But I heard Him say something along these lines,

I understand a womans need to decorate her home, I made you this way... He spoke so lovingly and I understood it was His pleasure to partner with me on these things...

I also believe that it's through this avenue that He is teaching me about Faith...

He is giving me the ability to see something I'm asking for in my mind as it already exist, and Faith that it is out there and I will find it...

I believe He is doing this as a tutorial for greater things in the future, in His Kingdom...:amen:

Back