Hello All :) [seeking Help]

Hello all, hope you are having a lovely day. I'm in London at the moment enjoying the rain but if im lucky there may be thunder later on; fingers crossed. This is my first post here, I wont rehash my background information, most of that is summarized in my bio. The takeaway point, in case reading chunks of text arent a hobby of yours is: I'm not a Christian yet but I have a desire to be for a plethora of reasons, some of which are in the bio.
My only condition to calling myself Christian is that I am able to justify my position to myself and others with evidence. This may seem confusing so I'll include a quick analogy. By day [often by night :(], im a doctor and have to prescibe drugs frequently; however I will not, under any circumstance, prescribe a drug unless I have solid reasons to believe it to be effective. If anyone asks me "Dr. Angio, why did you prescribe this drug to patient Khan" you better believe that I'm able to justify my decision to anyone. The day I cant is the day I consider changing professions. Likewise if anyone asks me "Ang, why are you a Christian" I want to have a solid reason.
The good news is that I think I'm close, Christianity provides meaning to people close to me and even to me at times. It has explanations to some deep rooted humanity based questions and Jesus' life is admirable to me. However what im seeking to solidify my belief is good evidence, for that is the only way I know of to evaluate the truth of a claim.

Most of you are filled with evidence im sure and I cant wait to hear it, but what I am asking for today are answers to the aforementioned question, namely:

"Dear reader, why are you a Christian"

I ask this first, because it is the primarly hurdle for me. I have looked for this answer in oh so many books, but have found reasoning to be faulty. I attribute this partly to the distance between myself and the authors and the lack of interaction but mainly to the lack of verifiable evidence they provide. I should say however that my reading is not as extensive as I would like because reading for my job takes a lot of time. The Christians that I know are largely cultural Christian (i.e. "My parents are Christian, so that why I am".) Which is why I've come to you guys; I LOVE learning and will be a sponge to your knowledge, but please be patient, gentle, patient, kind and above all patient; solidifying ones outlook of the world takes time. Thanks and I look forward to responses.

G'day Angio,

Welcome to the forums! Was nice to read a little bit about yourself. I'll try not to go into too much detail initially but if I have to truthfully ask myself the question, "Why am I a Christian".

Here is what I would have to answer - I don't have one answer but a few truths that might lead there.

First Christianity is all about faith - Jesus said - Blessed are those who have not seen and have yet believed - John 20:29. Without the help of Holy Spirit there is not a chance that we can live out this faith and proclaim it to the world. Sin was the reason why God had to send his son Jesus Christ down to die and spill his blood as a sacrifice for many.

Once I accepted Jesus as my savior and became born again in water and spirit things changed in my life. My personality, the way I looked at other (more with love rather than conviction and judgement). My sinful ways began lesser and lesser evident & I started to live more like the Lord.

1 Peter 1:16 - Be holy for I am holy.

The ONLY way your sins are going to be forgiven is when you ask the Lord to wash you clean with his blood. There ain't no other way.

The more I studied his word the more I began to live by it and all this is so evident even upto today in my life. Hence why i call myself a Christian :)

Sorry for the choppiness but hope that helped!

God Bless

Dear Jake

Your response was not at all choppy and has helped somewhat. Thank you. I too have found myself to be a better person since I took the bible more seriously. The problem I have is that it's not only book I've read that claims to be revealed truth or even the only book that has had a great positive impact on me.

I was a Hindu, their inspired texts are also wonderful like the bible, the Veda and the Upanishads are particularly inspiring. I found myself being a better person after I accepted the Vedas' word as truth. I even learned Sanskrit well enough to read these texts, and considering how hard this language is to learn and how little time I had as a junior doctor I hope you can appreciate how much these texts moved me.

You say:
"The ONLY way your sins are going to be forgiven is when you ask the Lord to wash you clean with his blood. There ain't no other way."

Its funny to me, if I had a pound for everytime someone I know and trust told me:
"The only way to true Nirvana is through believing that Lord Ganesh will remove the mental obstacles that lie in your path"
I'd be seriously rich. Seriously rich, really I get told this all the time from Hindus I used to hang around with who are keen to "help me". It means nothing to me anymore. If one of my Hindu buddies was to tell you about Ganesh you wouldn't snap your fingers and go "of course!" You talking about me asking the Lord to wash me clean with his blood is equally unimpressive. I'll give it a go but it won't help me believe that I'm actually talking to Yahweh, in the same way you may say the Hindu belief out loud but it doesn't actually help you truly believe that you are talking to Ganesh the god with the elephant head.

Now I'm sure you'd agree with me that just because Hinduism had a positive effect on me doesn't mean that a monkey god called Hanuman existed, or that a god named lord Krishna was exiled from Bharat. The same applies to Christianity or islam or Mormonism to Jainism or (insert hundreds of religions here). Incidentally these hindu are extremely well attested given its age perhaps better than any other text of its era.

I left Hinduism because text and personal experience alone are not enough to substantiate the truth of the claims of Hinduism. You also understand this given that you are not a Hindu. I can't possibly call myself a Christian for the same reasons that I can no longer call myself a Hindu; this is paramount to lying to myself.

I appreciate your help thusfar but faith, texts and my experience alone aren't gonna cut it, if they did I'd still be a Hindu. Is there something more tangible that I couldnt apply to Hinduism or a hundred other faiths?

Last edited:
Dear Jake

Your response was not at all choppy and has helped somewhat. Thank you. I too have found myself to be a better person since I took the bible more seriously. The problem I have is that it's not only book I've read that claims to be revealed truth or even the only book that has had a great positive impact on me.

I was a Hindu, their inspired texts are also wonderful like the bible, the Veda and the Upanishads are particularly inspiring. I found myself being a better person after I accepted the Vedas' word as truth. I even learned Sanskrit well enough to read these texts, and considering how hard this language is to learn and how little time I had as a junior doctor I hope you can appreciate how much these texts moved me.

You say:
"The ONLY way your sins are going to be forgiven is when you ask the Lord to wash you clean with his blood. There ain't no other way."

Its funny to me, if I had a pound for everytime someone I know and trust told me:
"The only way to true Nirvana is through believing that Lord Ganesh will remove the mental obstacles that lie in your path"
I'd be seriously rich. Seriously rich, really I get told this all the time from Hindus I used to hang around with who are keen to "help me". It means nothing to me anymore. If one of my Hindu buddies was to tell you about Ganesh you wouldn't snap your fingers and go "of course!" You talking about me asking the Lord to wash me clean with his blood is equally unimpressive.

Now I'm sure you'd agree with me that just because Hinduism had a positive effect on me doesn't mean that a monkey god called Hanuman existed, or that a god named lord Krishna was exiled from Bharat. The same applies to Christianity or islam or Mormonism to Jainism or (insert hundreds of religions here). Incidentally these hindu are extremely well attested given its age perhaps better than any other text of its era.

I left Hinduism because text and personal experience alone are not enough to substantiate the truth of the claims of Hinduism. You also understand this given that you are not a Hindu. I can't possibly call myself a Christian for the same reasons that I can no longer call myself a Hindu; this is paramount to lying to myself.

I appreciate your help thusfar but faith, texts and my experience alone aren't gonna cut it, if they did I'd still be a Hindu. Is there something more tangible that I couldnt apply to Hinduism or a hundred other faiths?
If you are looking for God you will find Him. He will reveal Jesus as Lord to you. As He did to me and all true Christians.

Wanting something tangible is simply not looking for God. Everything you can touch, see, smell, taste and hear is tangible evidence of God. God wants us to seek Him on His terms (as explained in your other post). When we do this we find the truth which is Jesus.

I also appreciate your advice on my other post kingj but this response was to jake. I am trying to seek God in the ways outlined by you and others but don't really understand fully yet. I am doing some research and changing some things in my life and will then reply to your post and others on the other thread. But again I appreciate your time and experiences. Expect personal responses soon :)

Dear Jake

You say:

I'd be seriously rich. Seriously rich, really I get told this all the time from Hindus I used to hang around with who are keen to "help me". It means nothing to me anymore. If one of my Hindu buddies was to tell you about Ganesh you wouldn't snap your fingers and go "of course!" You talking about me asking the Lord to wash me clean with his blood is equally unimpressive. I'll give it a go but it won't help me believe that I'm actually talking to Yahweh, in the same way you may say the Hindu belief out loud but it doesn't actually help you truly believe that you are talking to Ganesh the god with the elephant head.

Brother Angio,

Hope you've been well and thanks for writing back. Your argument here is clear and I can see where you are coming from. I have had a lot of Hindu friends years ago when I was in grade 10 and below and I'd have them ask me the same question. What makes you a Christian? Being a Christian who was still growing in his faith I didn't have a proper answer and I still don't but I do pray that I'm able to give you an answer that would help you in your walk with God.
Only God himself in all his wisdom can fill your heart and your spirit with the answers as you keep seeking after him.

I did ask God to help me answer this and this is what he's shown me:

Hypothetically speaking if you were a believing (walking,talking) Christian that also believes the word of God - "Meaning that you acknowledged what sin is and you accepted Christ into your life and ask him to wash you from all that sin"

When this happens ---> this is what you believe in because its simply his word.
Romans 8:11 tells us: "The same spirit that raised Christ from the dead lives in us" - That spirit is the precious gift of the HOLY SPIRIT

Now, the Bible talks about Jesus performing miracles e.g healing the sick, casting demons out, raising the dead and bringing more people into the light of his kingdom. Please stay with me I'm going somewhere :)

The Holy Spirit that Jesus had in him to perform those miracles lives in us (Once your a practicing Christian as mentioned above). Now personally speaking in my life - I have been a Christian all my life growing up and loving the Lord more and more each day and having the Holy Spirit in me has given me authority and power in Jesus name to operate under the fruits of the spirit.

Galatians 5:22 "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness"

In addition to these fruits of the spirit one can believe for and work with the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
"
4 There are different kinds of gifts. But they are all given by the same Spirit. 5 There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord. 6 There are different ways to work. But the same God makes it possible for all of us to have all those different things.

7 The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all. 8 To some people the Spirit gives the message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives the message of knowledge. 9 To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing. 10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages.

11 All of the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives them to each person, just as he decides"

Being a believer in Christ one has the right according to the will of God to operate with all these gifts. I don't mean to boast here but in response to your question about giving you are more tangible explanation - I do operate with some of these gifts ONLY through the power and help of the Holy Spirit.

-----------------------------------------------

I hope this gives you some help in response to your question. I do understand that I'm responding in point of view to someone who is a Christian but this was the best way that I could put it!! Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Happy to help out & God bless you brother :)

Back