Hello from a friendly Atheist

Hi everyone!

As I wrote on my profile, I apologize for breaking the rules by signing up, but I'm a new member who is a (friendly) atheist (my profile was approved by administration, so I took that to mean that it was okay for me to be here).

I'm not trying to "convert" anyone or anything like that, (I'm sure we all know how frustrating the debates between atheists and believers can be). I promise to be respectful. I know people come here to find fellowship in people who share their beliefs, and I have no intention of detracting from that.

So I just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know that I'm here. :D

Curiosity, I guess, mostly. I frequent an atheist forum and we have some Christians who are regular contributors, and I thought "why can't I do that? I guess I could!" so here I am. I do also find that there tends to be a lot of de-humanizing between atheists and Christians (from both sides of the fence), and, generally, I don't think that makes the world a better place for anyone.

Upon looking around a bit more, I don't know if there's anything I can really contribute without it coming across as inflammatory, so you probably won't see a lot of me. Of course, if someone asks me something directly or seems like they want the point of view of an "outsider", I'll do my best to respond. But for the most part, I just wanted to let people know I was here as a courtesy.

I dated an atheist not so long ago. We are still friends....in fact he was here a couple days ago helping me get my garden ready for planting. He's a professional landscaper. :)

BURN THIS DEVIL!!!!

Haha, I am totally kidding, if you want to debate anything you can message me friendly. You seem nice and I hope you find some stimulating information here!

Hi everyone!

As I wrote on my profile, I apologize for breaking the rules by signing up, but I'm a new member who is a (friendly) atheist (my profile was approved by administration, so I took that to mean that it was okay for me to be here).

I'm not trying to "convert" anyone or anything like that, (I'm sure we all know how frustrating the debates between atheists and believers can be). I promise to be respectful. I know people come here to find fellowship in people who share their beliefs, and I have no intention of detracting from that.

Hola Friendly,
My entire purpose on line is to answer questions. Over the past 19 years or so I have been responsible for allowing God to speak through me, resulting in an astonishing number of souls making professions of faith. I'm not Billy Graham, I'm not nearly that handsome, but the LORD has chosen me for this purpose.

Hope your stay here is fruitful.

Ryan E, you posted a picture!!!!! I usually picture everyone elderly, married and male. You all look alike to me unless their's a pic. lol

I only discovered Lynn is a woman about a month ago!!!!

Ginger

Welcome friendly atheist! As u will note in my footer, I'm all for interfaith dialogue and like it when people of different beliefs, faiths etc can ask eachother questions and have friendly debates. As an atheist, what do you believe is the cause of the world and us humans? I hope that doesn't come across to heavy - wait a minute - that's my name :D

As an atheist, what do you believe is the cause of the world and us humans? I hope that doesn't come across to heavy - wait a minute - that's my name :D

Honestly, I don't know and I don't really hold a belief on this. Haha, I wish my answer was more interesting, as I've seen very complicated explanations from science and religion (and sometimes both). But I don't know. I don't think there is a way that I could know and, to be honest, I don't worry too much about it.

Edit:
To clarify a bit, I guess I should add that I'm an "agnostic atheist". As in, I don't claim to "know" there is no God, I just don't hold a "belief" in God. That might explain my answer a bit.

Ryan E, you posted a picture!!!!! I usually picture everyone elderly, married and male. You all look alike to me unless their's a pic. lol

Ginger
Lol, Ginger, you make me laugh :)

Ginger

Haha! Well, I certainly don't fall under the first two criteria. I am still a young, charismatic, slightly naive, college student :p.

Well, it's nice to put a face to the posts, even if you only meet 1/3 of my criteria. ;) and I still like you even if you're too young to collect social security.

Hi everyone!

Hey welcome to the forums buddy!! Great to have you on board.... :) Feel free to browse through all the topics here on the forums, im sure you'll find a lot of them pretty interesting. Go ahead and ask lots of questions...

Cheers
Jake

... But I don't know. I don't think there is a way that I could know and, to be honest, I don't worry too much about it.
Edit:
To clarify a bit, I guess I should add that I'm an "agnostic atheist". As in, I don't claim to "know" there is no God, I just don't hold a "belief" in God. That might explain my answer a bit.

That's ok, I'm sure admin will be happy to change your username to "FriendlyAgnostic" :) (joke)

In all seriousness, regarding your current position: "But I don't know. I don't think there is a way that I could know".

What if God sent the prophets to warn us? Ok, forgetting the prophets, what about if He left us a book or Bible that explained everything for us? Or what if God sent someone back from the dead to tell us? Would you believe then?

Hi everyone!

Hi friendly,

Way back in my younger "intellectual" days I use to be an atheist. Most church teaching did not make much sense and less logic (a lot of what churches teach still does not). But when I actually read the Bible for myself (finally) I found it was perfectly sensible, logical and rational as was the Lord Himself. It was just that churches were not properly teaching it. It was the word of the Lord Himself that lead me to Christ and not a church or minister. Consequently I follow the teachings of Christ and of the Lord Himself rather than the teachings of any church or denomination.

I have many conversations on YouTube with Atheists and "Agnostic Atheists" (although many actively shun the "Agnostic" label), sadly many of them not so friendly.

I am happy always to answer questions from Atheists and Agnostics but I also have a small question for you so that I might know "where you are at" so to speak. Many Atheists I speak with seem to have a poor understanding of what the Bible actually says. It is as if their knowledge of the Bible is merely what other Atheists or a church or minister has told them it says. But as it is the Bible itself that led me to Christ I am interested if you have thoroughly read the Bible yourself or are merely relying on church and/or Atheist teachings?

The turning point for me was when I realised I had rejected God without ever actually reading the Bible for myself. I realised that was not a very intellectual thing to do :). If you have read it (better still if you actually have a copy handy) it will make answering any questions you may have about it much easier and more meaningful.

But what I can say is that many followers of Christ were once atheists. Where you belief currently stands is not the important thing. The important thing is are you genuinely seeking to find the truth whatever it may be? I know where a search for the truth leads and I know the Lord will not hide the truth from those who seek it.

Rest assured those who f0llow Christ welcome (and are happy to answer questions from) those who are genuinely seeking to know the truth of the reality they are living in.

Welcome.

hmmmm,..... I don't think friendly said he (being an elderly married man) actually had any questions. :) I do recall something about curiosity and not being sure about his ability to contribute.....

With that said, I'd like to add, Feel free to contribute!!!! And if at any point, I have a question, you can count on me asking :D

Back