Hello From A Mind Riddled With Doubt

Hello to everyone. I come to this site as a confused Christian. I believe in a higher power and I think that Jesus may be His Son. I believe evolution. I believe the Bible is inerrant. I believe some stories in the Bible are folk tales (such as the story of Noah and the ark). Can I still be a Christian despite my difficulties? I am in a place of great mental conflict.

You bet. No one has all the answers, only God does. As such, He has given us His word and it is 100% accurate as you stated, and a good start. Since God is a just God He saw man cannot keep His perfect law so He sent His Son Jesus to live a perfect life, free of sin, and in the flesh fulfilled the required perfection of the law - something WE cannot do. Then, He died for us. His innocence was transferred to us and our guilt was transferred to Him. Understand that there’s nothing YOU can do to earn heaven, earn forgiveness, or earn favor with God. However, YOU can call out to Him, ask forgiveness for your sins, change your mind about sins, and receive His gift of eternal life!

Before Jesus died on His cross, a fellow on a cross next to Him ask to be remembered in Jesus' kingdom and Jesus told him, “Today you will be with me in paradise!” So see, he didn’t have time to make things right, go here and do that, but only asked to be remembered and God said to the guy that he would be with Him! That’s all you have to do. Trust and believe in your heart and call on the name of Jesus salvation, which is what Jesus means in Hebrew - salvation! The rest will take care of itself through the guidance of the Holy Spirit!!

Hello and welcome! God is a is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. The basic Christian message is as Abdicate described.

Everyone has sinned and come short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. I know you said you don't believe the Bible is inerrant, but what do you think about the things it says regarding Jesus?

Since it says "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" sometimes I think people pray to God with their questions regarding Jesus and ask Him to draw them to Him. It says God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

Like LanceA points at, it's not things such as believing evolution is true or false, or believing in Noah that makes someone a Christian. The bottom line is John 3:18.
Joh 3:16-21 ESV
(16) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
(17) For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
(18) Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
(19) And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
(20) For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.
(21) But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

Last edited:
I know God. And I believe in the sacrifice of Jesus. I think the God I know is the Father of Jesus and I believe His Spirit is real. If I were to be honest, in my heart I believe Jesus is the Son of God and I accept God's saving grace.

Can I believe evolution and still be a Christian? Can I not believe stories such as Noah and the ark and Jonah and the whale and still be a Christian?

Can I believe evolution and still be a Christian? Can I not believe stories such as Noah and the ark and Jonah and the whale and still be a Christian?

just an impression, I think your question post #7 highlight the issue..... you were answered and you seem not to listen.

Hi TruthSeeker123, sorry about that, I edited my message above so what I added probably didn't display until you reloaded the page. :)

Have you read the Bible, especially the New Testament? A wonderful book is the Gospel of John. So much is revealed about God, His Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. It describes the new birth, or being 'born again' of Spirit, that is in John chapter 3. When the Spirit of God the Holy Spirit indwells us, that is when we can understand the things in Scripture.

From what I've seen, there are people who say they are Christians who believe in evolution and maybe have doubts about some of the things described. I myself can't say 'yes you can be a Christian and not believe x'. God knows who belong to Him and who do not.

Hello to everyone. I come to this site as a confused Christian. I believe in a higher power and I think that Jesus may be His Son. I believe evolution. I believe the Bible is inerrant. I believe some stories in the Bible are folk tales (such as the story of Noah and the ark). Can I still be a Christian despite my difficulties? I am in a place of great mental conflict.

Welcome!

As long as you believe the Son of God was Jesus and he died for you then you are a Christian. I personally have no problem with evolution, although I'm not a believer in it at the moment. I don't believe the Bible is inerrant but I believe that was inspired by God (and protected all these years) and written by men.

I've heard that Catholics believe that the Old Testament had parables like Jonah and the whale. I don't consider the Bible even necessary for Christianity, so I don't really think this is a big deal. I do urge you to study the Bible as much as you can though.

Christianity isn't built on rules of what you can and can't believe. Love God and His Son and others and you will be a follower of Christ.

Feel free to PM my liberal butt if you like :)

Thank you very much to you all, especially to porcupine and huntingteckel. I thought I was going to be branded as a heretic.
Huntingteckel, it feels good to know that I am not alone in being liberally minded.
I believe that Jesus died for me and that Jesus is divine.

Thank you very much to you all, especially to porcupine and huntingteckel. I thought I was going to be branded as a heretic.
Huntingteckel, it feels good to know that I am not alone in being liberally minded.

With so many denominations and differing opinions it's almost certain that all of us are heretics to someone else.

I just wanted to mention further about being born again, Jesus said "except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." The person born again of the Spirit of God should expect to see some things in his or her life such as a hatred of sin, a desire to read and learn more about God's word and a desire to praise and worship God. The same way things such as meat and vegetables are food for the physical body, the Word of God is food for the spirit.

Scripture says to "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!" (2Co 13:5 ESV). There are many such exhortations in Scripture. I'm just trying to say it's important that we not be deceived, i.e. think we are of the faith or a 'Christian' but then find out otherwise when it is too late.
Mat 7:13-27 ESV "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. (14) For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (15) "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. (16) You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? (17) So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. (18) A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. (19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. (20) Thus you will recognize them by their fruits. (21) "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. (22) On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' (23) And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.' (24) "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. (25) And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. (26) And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. (27) And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."
Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action), So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2Ti 3:16-17 AMP)[/quote[

Not a problem. The funny thing is I don't even consider myself liberal. I'm pretty sure some people here would say that I am though :)

Truth Seeker, If it was not for God there would be nothing for man to study as science, as God created everything for man to study. The Bible and true science never contradict each other. If we find a contradiction it is either our science is wrong or our understanding of scripture is wrong. There is a lot of junk science in this world based only on theories and not truth, but in the same way there is also a lot of our understanding of scriptures not based on truth revealed by the Spirit of God.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Hello and welcome, I'm sure you'll find your answers here on CFS, just ask and your questions will be answered...

Seems like your question is pretty much answered. All that's left for me to do now is to welcome you TruthSeeker123!

WELCOME!! :)

Part of what a family does is support one another when we're down. That's what the family of Christ is all about. Lifting up when doubt causes us to falter. You're in the right place. God is good. He led you here. :)

18565_Welcome_cross_t_sm.jpg

Back