Hello, Need Some Encouragement!

Hello fellow believers in Christ,

I've been feeling really down lately because I've been having more interaction with people at college and got to see a lot of corruption and sin going on everywhere. Sometimes it feels like I'm almost alone in my faith, even the people that I thought were nice and possibly Christians turn out to be unbelievably ungodly.
The church I attend is very warm and encouraging but there are about 40 of us and it's a pretty populated urban area. Outside this small group I feel alone and I feel sad that everywhere around me is sin and rejectors of Jesus.

I came on this forum so I can talk with others and have fellowship. Thank you for reading, any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Praise the Lord.

Hello; yes things in a post-Christianity world are very bleak. We could list all the horrific circumstances of this world for days.

As I have grown in (and backslid away from) Christ; I have come to realize there are many layers to the Children of God. Starting with our High Priest-Jesus Christ; who is ONE. Then there are very few truly Holy people on earth like Paul, but he was still a sinner saved by Grace whom we can aspire to be like. Then we have a group of true believing Pastors who aren't many when compared to the populace. Intermingled with this group are those who are false teachers and deceive the people-both behind and away from the pulpit.

Then there is the majority of "Christians" who are saved that would be considered 'laymen' in some religions. But the Bible tells us that all 'saved' folks are ministers to the lost. Mixed up in this group are several different kinds of people: believers, agnostics, agents of the enemy, and those who have deceived themselves in thinking they have Christ. And yet; this group of true (average) believers is still relatively small.

Then there is a rather large group of people who would claim Christ-when it is convenient; but aren't following Him at all. In this group there are those mentioned in the previous group, but hypocrisy is even more prevalent and this group tends to bend with popular culture rather than the will of God twisting the scripture to suite their lifestyle.

I am saying all that to say this: being a true follower of Christ IS a lonely path most of time. Even those we look up to as mentors are still sinful humans just like us and they will fail us at some point; just as we fail ourselves and fail God. That's why God tells us not to 'look towards men' (idolize); after all, they are still men. We MUST TRUST in Jesus and the Word (Bible) that has been left with us.

What I have been struggling lately with is depression; lack of faith and all the backsliding into bad habits that accompanies that. What I have realized is that I can have control ("victory") over this IF I trust Him in His Word. This comes down to one simple factor - MY ATTITUDE!

I think an 'attitude adjustment' first thing in the morning is not only required-but HOLY when we open up our Bibles and read and worship the LORD before we move on with the rest of our day. And when the 'world' presses on us during the day; we open that Good Book. And at night, when we go to lay down and start thinking about all the garbage of the day; we turn to the Bible before we sleep.

Pray, pray again: read, read again. Morning noon and night. Worship, worship again. Turn our eyes to the LORD and away from the world and our 'self'. Step towards Holiness-the Light of the universe.

I've been feeling really down lately because I've been having more interaction with people at college and got to see a lot of corruption and sin going on everywhere. Sometimes it feels like I'm almost alone in my faith, even the people that I thought were nice and possibly Christians turn out to be unbelievably ungodly.
The church I attend is very warm and encouraging but there are about 40 of us and it's a pretty populated urban area. Outside this small group I feel alone and I feel sad that everywhere around me is sin and rejectors of Jesus.

I came on this forum so I can talk with others and have fellowship. Thank you for reading, any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. Praise the Lord.
Welcome! :D

The only thing that comes to mind is:

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 (KJV)
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

I know it's easier said than done, but consider this:

Matthew 4:4 (KJV)
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

So we eat bread (food) to live, but here is says we SHALL NOT live by bread alone, but... so what is it? A metaphor or is it real? I thoroughly believe it's real, literally. All humans have a void that can only be filled by God Almighty. The world, ignorant of God, try to fill it with pleasures and remain unfulfilled so they try something else. After all the "socially legal" stuff is tried, they dabble in the evil stuff until society actually changes to allow the evil actions.

When we become Christians that void is, at first filled, because as babes in Christ we need very little food. As we grow and get bigger, we need more food, but sadly I find most Christian very anorexic and don't even know it. They try to fill up on the milk, which is ok, but is it really satisfying. I sense this is what you're suffering, though you chalk it up to having no friends, but Jesus sticks closer than a brother, Pro 18:24. Don't take this as a rebuke or chastisement, but as encouragement to seek more of Jesus and that void will be filled, only for it to empty out again, and we need to get it filled. That's what happens in growth :)

Watch this video and pay attention to the words and you'll see what I mean. "And the things of earth will grow strangely dim"...

Numbers 6:24-26 (KJV)
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Reactions: SON

Hello Brother and welcome. Wow, I'd have to say you've really encouraged me that you are so saddened by the things going on around you, many times we're trying to encourage individuals not to follow the ways of the world and here you are deeply concerned. the kind of grief you're feeling comes from the gried of the Spirit of God within you and it can have quite a profound affect on you if it's not something you're used to. The Word tells us that Jesus was a man of sorrows and felt deeply just like you. Just seek God though it, it seems God is drawing you closer to his true heart and friend by the sounds of things, God has a real purpose in mind for your life....

Hello SON, Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

From what I've heard secular universities, especially in the U.S., have grown exceptionally 'ungodly' and can be difficult places for a Christian to 'navigate' these days. And it does seem that sin, especially sexual sin, has become widely celebrated now, at least in the U.S. It's always been around of course but the outright celebration of it seems to be getting more and more popular. 2 Timothy chapter 3 describes the characteristics of men in the last days. I would try to remember that in this world we are in a constant struggle or battle (Eph 6)

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (Eph 6:10-13 KJV)

I would find comfort in Psalm 37,
Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth. The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
(Psa 37:7-13 KJV)

Welcome! It's wonderful you're staying close with your church and looking for fellowship in the forum! Isolation is the first big hurdle for the Christian attending a secular school. All the other mess you see is harder to deal with when you feel alone.

By all means, stay in touch here, but keep looking for fellow believers at school. You could check the school website for student organizations. I've seen denominational groups like Baptist and Methodist student groups or para-church groups like Intervarsity and CRU make a HUGE difference for discouraged friends.

If you're in Arizona, Texas, Virginia, or around Chicago Illinois I might be able to help with more specific recommendations.

The world is a pretty broken place...But He that is within you is greater than He that is withing the world! Go be a light! We're praying for you!

Reactions: SON
2 Peter 2:8

Darby Bible Translation
(for the righteous man through seeing and hearing, dwelling among them, tormented [his] righteous soul day after day with [their] lawless works,)

This is what I mean when I refer to my discouragement. We know Lot (the verse above is speaking of) lived in Sodom among terribly wicked people. As a child of God our new nature is disgusted by sin. When I look around and see that 99% of people around are heading to a lost eternity it doesn't bring me much joy to my heart.

I met one Christian student but 2 weeks later he graduated and is moving away. I looked up since Christian clubs and tried to contact them but received no reply possibly because the group is inactive and the information on the directory website is outdated.

Everyone else drinks alcohol, uses marijuana and fornicates and see absolutely nothing wrong with any of it, but rather try to get me to participate as well. It's exactly what Paul spoke about in Romans 1:32
"they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Thank you very much for the encouragement!

2 Peter 2:8

Darby Bible Translation
(for the righteous man through seeing and hearing, dwelling among them, tormented [his] righteous soul day after day with [their] lawless works,)

This is what I mean when I refer to my discouragement. We know Lot (the verse above is speaking of) lived in Sodom among terribly wicked people. As a child of God our new nature is disgusted by sin. When I look around and see that 99% of people around are heading to a lost eternity it doesn't bring me much joy to my heart.

I met one Christian student but 2 weeks later he graduated and is moving away. I looked up since Christian clubs and tried to contact them but received no reply possibly because the group is inactive and the information on the directory website is outdated.

Everyone else drinks alcohol, uses marijuana and fornicates and see absolutely nothing wrong with any of it, but rather try to get me to participate as well. It's exactly what Paul spoke about in Romans 1:32
"they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Thank you very much for the encouragement!
Evil loves company, instead show them the light. Yeah they are all messed up, instead of being sad though be grateful that God is giving you the opportunity to talk to these people to spread the Gospel. You can wallow in the fact that you are feeling alone, or you can sow the seeds and maybe someday some of these people will come back to you as believers and friends. This world really is a messed up place, but you'd be surprised how many people are ready to be saved, they just haven't heard the Gospel yet! It might be hard to understand if you were raised Christian, but personally for me I didn't hear the Gospel until I was 19! But oh man once I heard it I was hooked! I needed to hear it from someone, so do these people @ your college.

Hi if you haven't been able to reach any of the Christian clubs maybe you could start your own? Just thinking maybe there are others at the university in a similar situation? I'm sure there are resources that could help. Campus Crusade for Christ comes to mind but I'm not really familiar with them.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Evil loves company, instead show them the light. Yeah they are all messed up, instead of being sad though be grateful that God is giving you the opportunity to talk to these people to spread the Gospel. You can wallow in the fact that you are feeling alone, or you can sow the seeds and maybe someday some of these people will come back to you as believers and friends. This world really is a messed up place, but you'd be surprised how many people are ready to be saved, they just haven't heard the Gospel yet! It might be hard to understand if you were raised Christian, but personally for me I didn't hear the Gospel until I was 19! But oh man once I heard it I was hooked! I needed to hear it from someone, so do these people @ your college.

Nice to hear that. What is sad is that a lot of these people were taken to church by their parents while they were growing up. One woman even had a verse tattooed on her and was trying to get me to foricate with her.
Made me feel so bad, often times I just wish the Lord comes or I pass away so that I can go home with my Savior where I belong.

Nice to hear that. What is sad is that a lot of these people were taken to church by their parents while they were growing up. One woman even had a verse tattooed on her and was trying to get me to foricate with her.
Made me feel so bad, often times I just wish the Lord comes or I pass away so that I can go home with my Savior where I belong.
I'm not going to act like I don't understand how you feel because I've felt the same way and i'm sure many others have too. I agree it would be a good idea to try to find some local Christian clubs so that you can be strengthened by other believers. It is hard to feel alone, but you aren't even though it might feel like it. You just have to keep searching and not let the bad experiences bring you down. I know that is easier said than done. You are in my prayers.

Back