Hello Thread

I was a Christian and teaching adult Sunday school, working in VBS, traveling down life’s journey…..then I got a call from my doctor and he on July 6, 2010 he said Mr. Elliott you have cancer, and I cannot locate the source of that cancer.

It was a long 12 mile ride home that day…….Philippians 1-21 For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain…….as this verse of scripture rang though my head that day, I began to draw on my faith, and I was faced with my own mortality.

There were going to be some “dark-days” ahead of me, and I remember 35-radiation treatments, 6-six hour session of chemo therapy, and radical neck dissection surgery. So here I am, 5 years later cancer free.

I wrote a book entitled “What Does God Want Me to Give”, (not to good, I’m not that great of a writer), I thought I was going to die of cancer.

There was a man in my church who died of the exact same cancer I had, and I went and prayed over him with a group of men from our church. It was very emotional for me.

Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

My question here is this……Why does God allow some to die of cancer, and some to survive cancer.

Quick and Simple answer is Romans 9:15…….Your thoughts….?

Welcome to CFS, Dale!

To your question, we as fallen human beings are subject to disease and death, and by faith we can enter into healing, which is a promise of God, yet for all of us, death is a certainty, and by what vehicle we meet it, no one knows. We do know as believers, that whenever and however we walk through death, there is Jesus and life on the other side, and we will not take that step alone.

I first off want to welcome you to cfs! And praise God for healing your body!

But i have to say that i fully disagree with your Romans 9:15 answer. God desires us all to go to heaven on His terms. Sickness is from the devil. So in my opinion people die of sickness because they do not know their authority over sickness as a blood washed, Child of God. Many times we open the door to sickness and disease by sin. Others are attacked by the enemy and because they don't believe that they can be healed, don't know how to receive healing by faith, don't know how much God loves them, or they walk in ways other than God's ways...thus allowing the sickness to stay.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!

I was a Christian and teaching adult Sunday school, working in VBS, traveling down life’s journey…..then I got a call from my doctor and he on July 6, 2010 he said Mr. Elliott you have cancer, and I cannot locate the source of that cancer.

1. Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

2. Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

3. My question here is this……Why does God allow some to die of cancer, and some to survive cancer.

Quick and Simple answer is Romans 9:15…….Your thoughts….?
Welcome Dale

That is a wonderful testimony.

1. God did not hate Esau. The context there is simply that God chose Jacob and did not choose Esau. We know that Esau was blessed Gen 33:9.

2. Rom 9 is Paul explaining the omniscience and omnipotence of God. This does not mean God does evil (partiality). The rest of scripture or just John 3:16 tells us what in fact He decides to do with His great power.

3. God uses us down here. We just can't grasp why His people die early. Why the unsaved do seems obvious. The motivation of God of the universe is simply beyond our small minds.

What I do know is that it is not a matter of a lack of faith for the saved as God hears all our prayers John 9:31. For the unsaved it is.

Last edited:
Welcome to CFS.

Should you have any questions, please contact any staff member who would be happy to help.
As one of my colleagues has already posted that welcome links; I invite you to observe the rules before any great involvement within the forum.
Check here to read the rules.

Back