Help with a verse - KJV or Good News

Help with a verse - KJV or Good News

G'day from Australia!

I was discussing with a freind the statement that Jesus made against the Pharisees which went something like, "You uphold the law while violating it's heart" (or VERY simillar)

I am certain I have read this before either in the KJV or The Good News Bible... The closest I could come searching the KJV online was in Matthew 23

:bible:[23:23] Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.:bible:

Can anyone help?

Are you speaking of this?
2 Timothy 3:

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof...

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Back